Tesla Goblin!

EVgoblin

Hi All,

Just an update. We have been shaking down the EV Goblin recently here in Tucson at the Musselman Honda track. The first issue we worked through was related to the regenerative braking present in the Tesla drive motor, it was greatly unbalancing the car through the turns. We were able to turn it off and this made great improvement. Second issue was massive front end hop during hard braking after the long straight (90mph+ then hard braking for a left hand turn). We adjusted the shock valving to full soft and this greatly reduced. We believe we need more front suspension travel so we will be adjusting the coil overs to increase the spring length. We are also getting tire squeal in a part of track that should not be experiencing. We are going to look carefully at suspension settings but believe we need some slight toe-out. Another challenge with the EV is just the abundance of torque with just slight throttle input. For this we will be installing RaceChip XLR controller on the throttle pedal to use its eco settings to see if we can reduce pedal sensitivity. After this, we will look at running with racing tires (Hoosier A7). The track record is 56 seconds for street car and we want to sort the car to the point we can get close to this. Last outing we didn’t have the transponder in proper location so did not acquire timing data. A Callaway Camaro in front of us was running 1:08 and we had to let off because we caught him so fast so I think currently we are in the low 1 minute time range with our street tires.
There is a Holley EV event in Sonoma, CA that I am thinking of bringing the Goblin too in Nov. (I think 13-14). If anyone is out that way drop me a line.

Thanks for this build thread and the comments.

Attachments

EVgoblin

That was Kevin who had all the links to the teams of people who helped him with his Tesla Goblin.
Yes, it is good information.
Hi All,

If any interest I can post some new updated links on EV builds and components to consider. Since we did this build, there is now model 3 motor controllers out there as well as the big companies (AEM and Motec) getting into EV motor controllers, displays, and battery management. I’m going to SEMA this year and will be on the look out for new EV tech. One high end EV build to look at is:

Although it doesn’t look related to the goblin, I’m already thinking it lays the background for a Tesla model 3 powered Goblin build (wonder if we could run dual motors and get some weight up front by doing so?). It shows the vendor (French company) they used for the model 3 motor and battery pack control, the display (haltec), the controller for fans, pumps, etc (race pack), the Can bus adapters, how to split the inverter from the motor for packaging, and their cooling. It looks like they are outsourcing the hard stuff which is to get the components to talk to each other but it’s good to see there are people out there who are now doing this as a service.

Davidljones88

Thanks for posting that link. That's actually the Tesla Goblin we helped to build in-house. The owner of the that Goblin reached out to us at the end of 2018 about doing a Tesla Goblin. We knew it would require some major custom fab work so we decided to handle that ourselves. He delivered the drive unit, batteries and other electrical things to us in early 2019.

** Edit: When it left our shop is was not driving. He was handling all of the steps to get from being a roller to being able to drive under its own power. **

It's using a Model S drive unit that goes for ~$12k on EV West. The batteries are from a Chevy Volt and if I recall correctly they came in at $2500.

View attachment 11353

View attachment 11354

The final weight when it left our shop was 1702.

It's good to see it getting on the road.

A guy named Jimmy in South Carolina is building a Nissan Leaf powered Goblin. His build will be much more affordable than the Tesla build.
Do you know if Jimmy finished his build?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Imagine in the Future owning BOTH an electric car and some sort of fuel burning generator, plus solar array plus wind turbine plus exercise bike/treadmill plus battery pile contraption at home so you can make politicians (who are currently robbing you blind because, unknowingly, YOU are "the evil rich" we keep hearing about!{but don't take my word for it}) look good for their bid for re-election! Or maybe use the contraption to take your abode off the grid and the grid only charges your car! YAY!, Green Future! PLUS!, Expensive warm beer for everyone!(unless it's cold out) I used a Maytag washer with a small gasoline engine built in the 70's(and still made) for the Middle East. No electric cord! The spin cycle timer was wind up like an egg timer. Hot water from the home heat boiler, drain it out into the floor drain. It even had a spin cycle, no wringing out the wet clothes. My dryer could double as dog run. I bought a 20th century W/D pair in 99, just in time for the 20th century's end.

Last edited: