Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Joebob

Goblin Guru
For your registration tasks, you need to get an inspection. For a new car like the Goblin, this only needs to be a safety only inspection so they do not need to plug into your computer to pull codes. You will have to get the inspection on the Goblin and they will reject any inspection of the donor cobalt including an inspection of the Goblin with the Cobalt VIN or description. The inspection needs to be for the Goblin with the goblin VIN with lots of preceding 0s as well as calling out a 2023 ASVE.

For proving the engine is yours, I had a copy of the title that was signed over to me and near the bottom of the oil filter is a machined boss that has the VIN sequence number to show it came from the titled car.

Another thing I did was to go to the DMV and with insurance was able to get a 30 day permit that allowed me to drive to try the car til all the title and registration work was complete. I thought I needed to get the readiness monitors to clear but turned out that a Safety only was good enough for me.

Joe

Josh's09

For your registration tasks, you need to get an inspection. For a new car like the Goblin, this only needs to be a safety only inspection so they do not need to plug into your computer to pull codes. You will have to get the inspection on the Goblin and they will reject any inspection of the donor cobalt including an inspection of the Goblin with the Cobalt VIN or description. The inspection needs to be for the Goblin with the goblin VIN with lots of preceding 0s as well as calling out a 2023 ASVE.

For proving the engine is yours, I had a copy of the title that was signed over to me and near the bottom of the oil filter is a machined boss that has the VIN sequence number to show it came from the titled car.

Another thing I did was to go to the DMV and with insurance was able to get a 30 day permit that allowed me to drive to try the car til all the title and registration work was complete. I thought I needed to get the readiness monitors to clear but turned out that a Safety only was good enough for me.

Joe
Thank you for the response. I'll check under the engine now!

Hellproof

Anyone have any suggestions for custom exhaust shops in the Houston area? I'm needing to get one built with a cat and O2 bung.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Anyone have any suggestions for custom exhaust shops in the Houston area? I'm needing to get one built with a cat and O2 bung.
Do you have the cat from the donor? I have a catted goblin exhaust for a NA or SC goblin but the aftermarket cat might be too small to pass. Mine was a California emission donor so might have asked more from the aftermarket cat than a federal emission cobalt. Where is Houston are you?

Joe

Hellproof

Don't have the cat from the donor, I'm the third owner of Frame #59. Its a NA auto and it was previously registered in Texas in 2020 then went out of state, expired, and I bought it and brought it back to Texas. I'm basically on the re-registration at this point so I need the emissions inspection. I have all of the emissions equipment added except the cat at this point. I was hoping the evap check would ready up first, but on my ride today the Cat check happened and popped a P0420 code.

I'm in Pearland.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
As the others said, there will still be an emission test in emission counties. These new regulations are still a mystery, though, overall.

Jcasson

Quick question, I bought my donor in 2019 then covid shut everything down and couldn’t go to the title place to transfer the title.
Fast forward to now and I still haven’t transferred the title (forgot). Starting the process to register the goblin.
Do I need to still need to transfer the title even though the donor body has been gone for almost 3 years?

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I never transferred my donor title to my name but I brought the title signed over to me and the paperwork showing that I was the owner of the car and title to the title and registration process. That worked for Houston back in early 2022

Jcasson

I never transferred my donor title to my name but I brought the title signed over to me and the paperwork showing that I was the owner of the car and title to the title and registration process. That worked for Houston back in early 2022
I might try that but down here in Uvalde they are so picky with paperwork lol

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Quick question, I bought my donor in 2019 then covid shut everything down and couldn’t go to the title place to transfer the title.
Fast forward to now and I still haven’t transferred the title (forgot). Starting the process to register the goblin.
Do I need to still need to transfer the title even though the donor body has been gone for almost 3 years?
You should NOT have to transfer the title. The Cobalt no longer exists. Texas did not have any paperwork to cancel the existence of the Cobalt title.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Same.
It’s good to have the title to show parts were not stolen.