Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Rabid Sloth Racing

I was able to get Progressive to insure mine without a VIN. Midland City gave me a 30-day registration. The local inspection station then signed off on it also. There is an ASE Master Tech willing to do a VTR-64 in Odessa for permanent registration next month and I'll still need to have the police do a VTR-68-A. But it's (30 day) legal!

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I was able to get Progressive to insure mine without a VIN. Midland City gave me a 30-day registration. The local inspection station then signed off on it also. There is an ASE Master Tech willing to do a VTR-64 in Odessa for permanent registration next month and I'll still need to have the police do a VTR-68-A. But it's (30 day) legal!
Glad you had some helpful people up there! I hope all locations are as accommodating. Because Midland is not so close to Houston..... :)

I interpret the instructions in the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual differently.
Since we do have a manufacturer's VIN, then we will not need the form VTR-68-N.
But, if you were able to get that inspection easily, then it sure won't hurt! :)

The vehicle description must be indicated as follows: Make: The make must be “ASVE” (Assembled). Year Model: The year in which the vehicle was assembled/completed. Body Style: “2D” (2D Sedan), “4D” (4D Sedan), “RD” (Roadster), etc. VIN: The valid manufacturer's VIN intact on the assembled vehicle must be used. If the assembled vehicle has no manufacturer's VIN, then a Texas assigned VIN must be obtained from the department. A motor number may not be used in any instance as the identifying number on an assembled vehicle.

Last edited:

Rabid Sloth Racing

Progressive said they couldn't use the DFG number riveted to the chassis. They couldn't locate it on their computers and felt it was a frame, not a VIN number. They did temporarily insure it without a VIN. My 30 day tag says "No Vin" on it. I figured doing a VTR-68-A inspection would be the best way to get the DF supplied number into the state system. Can anyone think of another route?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Progressive said they couldn't use the DFG number riveted to the chassis. They couldn't locate it on their computers and felt it was a frame, not a VIN number. They did temporarily insure it without a VIN. My 30 day tag says "No Vin" on it. I figured doing a VTR-68-A inspection would be the best way to get the DF supplied number into the state system. Can anyone think of another route?
Interesting about Progressive Insurance balking at the frame #. I already have an annual policy in place through American Modern Property and Casualty Insurance. My agent at Allstate found them and handled all the details in between. Full comprehensive coverage for a little over $240 a year. They have both the frame # as well as the donor Cobalt VIN - like that matters! :).

I guess I will find out in a few weeks when I go and experience the wonderful employees of Texas DMV.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I'm insured thru Progressive.... they just added some extra digits to bring the DFG0121 number up to 17 digits.
Didn't even tell me that, the paper work arrived, and I saw extra digits. Guess they don't care, as I gave them my VIN number correctly.

Dale E

I'm insured thru Progressive.... they just added some extra digits to bring the DFG0121 number up to 17 digits.
Didn't even tell me that, the paper work arrived, and I saw extra digits. Guess they don't care, as I gave them my VIN number correctly.
Government changes rules all the time. Remember when you could ride with no seatbelts and sleeping on the back seat shelf? Along the post lines -- my 1971 Lotus Europa's VIN is 0631R. When I registered my StalkerV6, I told the patrol inspector that to keep historical value I would like to use the VIN assigned the previous owner and builder. His title used the MSO from the factory. The patrol inspector granted my request and stamped my VIN - 4STORER. I probably couldn't get that done again. My Birkin has the 17 digit VIN With the build number and Birkin plus extra numbers to length. I have value rated insurance on all of them for about 150$ each per year.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I spent almost an hour at the TX DMV Regional Service Center today. Per the state's instructions, we need to provide all the required documentation to them first so they can create a form letter that we will then deliver to the local registration sub-office. I assume they did this to funnel us to just one place in town where they have the correct knowledge. The clerk was a little lost and baffled. I showed him the Bulletin #010-20. After reading it, he took all my documents and went to his supervisor's office for about 15 minutes. The supervisor then came out and chatted with me. She was actually kind, courteous, and had a smile on her face. Refreshing, indeed! She was aware of the bulletin. She had made a call and was getting the form letter sent to her today as it was not actually available to her on-line yet. She assured me that I would have that last golden piece of documentation in a day or so. Nice to find a competent person in charge. I told her "heads up" since there are several others with the same kit car as me in the Houston area that will be seeking her out soon.
So now, we will see how things go on 6/22/20 when actual registration opens. :)

RouteAbel

I spent almost an hour at the TX DMV Regional Service Center today. Per the state's instructions, we need to provide all the required documentation to them first so they can create a form letter that we will then deliver to the local registration sub-office. I assume they did this to funnel us to just one place in town where they have the correct knowledge. The clerk was a little lost and baffled. I showed him the Bulletin #010-20. After reading it, he took all my documents and went to his supervisor's office for about 15 minutes. The supervisor then came out and chatted with me. She was actually kind, courteous, and had a smile on her face. Refreshing, indeed! She was aware of the bulletin. She had made a call and was getting the form letter sent to her today as it was not actually available to her on-line yet. She assured me that I would have that last golden piece of documentation in a day or so. Nice to find a competent person in charge. I told her "heads up" since there are several others with the same kit car as me in the Houston area that will be seeking her out soon.
So now, we will see how things go on 6/22/20 when actual registration opens. :)

Hey JB, what are you providing for proof of ownership? I still have my donor shell because I didn't want to surrender the title until I had the Goblin titled but now I think that's probably overkill. I figure with a copy of the title and proof of destruction I should be good right? My wife would love for this donor shell to be gone.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Hey JB, what are you providing for proof of ownership? I still have my donor shell because I didn't want to surrender the title until I had the Goblin titled but now I think that's probably overkill. I figure with a copy of the title and proof of destruction I should be good right? My wife would love for this donor shell to be gone.
I have the bill of sale for the Cobalt, as well as the invoice from DF that matches the invoice number on the MCO that DF provided. I kept the viN tag from my Cobalt before taking the shell to the recycler. Both bills of sale show taxes already paid already as well. :)

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the first hand account.

I think the last remaining million dollar question is if they still count the Goblin as a race track only vehicle. As that’s why my registration was revoked, and that’s unchanged in the new law. So we may still have some work to do.

There is also some unanswered questions about emissions. While the director of titles was specifically asked about this and told us they wouldn’t be required, I’m still trying to find that in writing.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If y’all have problems in the big city, I know backwoods Waller county is going to be a lot of fun to deal with on this. :confused:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
If y’all have problems in the big city, I know backwoods Waller county is going to be a lot of fun to deal with on this. :confused:
Dude, the office I went to today is minutes from your work. :)
I was thinking specifically of you when I gave them a "heads up" about others coming later........ hahahaha

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I just don’t know if they will make me do all this in Waller Co (Hempstead) or can do it here in Harris Co.

Did you go to Pech rd in spring branch or off shepherd?