Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
:oops:Someone actually talked to you there? And was nice? Not to mention, you actually got in the door. ****.

that’s a DL office though. Or is there a separate area for title stuff?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
That office is the "only" Regional Service Center listed in Houston. They have limited services available right now - and yes they do licensing there as well. You have to use their clunky appointment website. No walk ins. The supervisor I referred to may be the only one in Houston who has a clue what Bulletin #010-20 is. We better be real nice to her.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Lol. Will do.

pech rd use to be good when no one knew about it, but now it’s as busy as ever and difficult to deal with. So far, the people in Hempstead are good and nice, plus there‘s never a line. Just not sire if they will be in the know on this though.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. All you Houston Goblins, below is THE person with whom you will be dealing. She is knowledgeable, and actually quite pleasant.

I am not sure everyone at the DMV knows what the process is exactly, yet. I had all the documents needed to get the "approval on department letterhead from a TxDMV Regional Service Center". I thought the regional office would just check the presence and compliance of the information and give me the letter. Not so simple, or fast. The manager submitted it to Austin for "review" as of today. I was not aware that this was a step in the process. Supposedly, I will hear back now sometime next week. So much for standing in line on 6/22/20.......

More to come.

Charlotte Kirk || Houston Regional Manager
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Vehicle Titles and Registration

2110 E Governors Cir, Houston, TX 77092
Email: [email protected] Phone: 713-316-6128

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Quick update.

I received a call from Ms. Kirk this morning. Whomever she is talking to in Austin informed her that I need to go down to the local state inspection station and get an inspection. Safety only. No emissions (wahoooo!!!!). I asked why this was not duplicative of the ASE inspection which is by far way more in depth and meaningful. She made no argument that it was. However, by going to the station, all the vehicle (and owner) information gets input to the state-wide system. Makes sense. She then stated that after this is done, she will be able to issue me the necessary letter to take to the county DMV to actually submit the info to register. :)

So, if the rain lets up today, I will run down to the corner and pay my ransom money and get the "safety" inspection only. Oh! and just a reminder, when you go to get this inspection done, you will need to have proof of insurance and that document HAS TO have the Goblin's VIN on it. Otherwise they will not do the inspection.

FTC

Quick update.

I received a call from Ms. Kirk this morning. Whomever she is talking to in Austin informed her that I need to go down to the local state inspection station and get an inspection. Safety only. No emissions (wahoooo!!!!).
Be careful here. The first inspection is a safety only, the next inspection will depend on how they register the car. My first inspection was a safety inspection, however when my car got registered/titled it had to be ODBII compliant for the next inspections.

I'm interested to see how the process goes for those that had their car registered/titled already and it got revoked by the state. Especially those that already had the ASE inspection and all the other assembled vehicle paperwork done and submitted to get the title. Are they going to have to redo all the paper work? Hopefully not?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Be careful here. The first inspection is a safety only, the next inspection will depend on how they register the car. My first inspection was a safety inspection, however when my car got registered/titled it had to be ODBII compliant for the next inspections.

I'm interested to see how the process goes for those that had their car registered/titled already and it got revoked by the state. Especially those that already had the ASE inspection and all the other assembled vehicle paperwork done and submitted to get the title. Are they going to have to redo all the paper work? Hopefully not?
FTC are you in Texas as well?
The registration process is dictated by each individual state.

It will be registered as an ASVE (Assembled Vehicle). That has already been decided. I am not sure if there is anything that I could do at this point to affect the process. It seems to have been discussed / decided at great length in Austin already.

Going forward, I hope the process is already well documented for all of us to follow in a year at renewal time.

As for the past registrations, I infer that everyone must register under the new process.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
****, doesn't sound like this going to be a cut and dried process. I'm hopeful for the best outcome, you guys have fighting hard for this one! I sure we don't see a lot of Montana plates running around Texas. o_O

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Quick update. I did get the inspection. And passed..... ;)

Funny thing is, they were so baffled as to what to do with the software input, they never even checked the blinkers, horn, brake or any of the other trivial stuff they normally check. I only say "trivial" since I already had the VTR-64 performed by the ASE certified mechanic. But hey, I got my info into the system for Austin!

A couple of details you need to know for this step.
You will use the DF VIN number. But, they need 17 digits to process you. So, I was advised by Ms. Kirk to have them enter it as 000000000DFGB0186. Nine zeros and the last four digits will be your frame number.

Also, they had to enter it as a motorcycle. Because - the second screen they have to fill out is the MAKE. If they use passenger vehicle, "other" is not a choice. Under motorcycle, "other" IS a choice. Model should be manually input as Roadster. I hope this motorcycle choice does not cause a hiccup in Austin....

Ms. Kirk was unsure that this is what was intended in Austin. However, until Austin updates the software in use at the inspection stations, this seems to be the only choice.

So, as of today all the required documents have been delivered to the Regional Service Center. Ms. Kirk thought it would only take a day or two to get the letter typed up then. I actually have to physically go back down to her office to pick it up!! Grrrrrrrrr.......
And on top of that, Harris County offices are not even opened back up for the beer flu.

Stay tuned friends.

IMG_8417.jpgIMG_8418.jpgIMG_8419.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I bet you had everyone in the test center over looking at your Goblin.
Setting up the data as a motorcycle and a roadster is sketchy, I hope that doesn't throw the system into fits. Someone may look at your car and the motorcycle classification and think something is not right. :oops:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I bet you had everyone in the test center over looking at your Goblin.
Setting up the data as a motorcycle and a roadster is sketchy, I hope that doesn't throw the system into fits. Someone may look at your car and the motorcycle classification and think something is not right. :oops:
I know!
Well, as for that, worst thing that can happen is I have to go back and have them re-do it again. Who knows at this point?!

It was weird to be in that local inspection station while I had Ms. Kirk on the phone at the same time. I almost wanted to hand the phone to the tech and tell them they better listen to her since somewhere way up the food chain she is in charge of them!!!! :)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You remember the movie Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? I feel like the kid who got a "Golden Ticket"!!!!!!

The wonderful people in Austin approved all my paperwork and supplied the Regional Office with a copy of the form letter we need to take to the title and registration office. Unfortunately because of the beer flu, that office is still closed. :(

I am assuming that the field office will just process the documents when I show up without any hiccups, now. If not, I can always get Ms. Kirk on the phone and let her inform one of her subordinates if needed...... ;)

One step closer today!!!! Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!!

IMG_8465.jpg

And just to recap the required docs, here is the list:
130-U (This is little goofy since at the bottom we sign as seller as well as owner)
VTR-64
VTR-61
VTR-852 (optional - if they allow us to get custom plates?)
Copy of the ASE inspector’s certifications A1-A8 showing they are up-to-date (reminder - remove the windshield for the inspection. no wipers:) )
Certified Scale weight ticket
Pictures of vehicle (front, driver side, rear, passenger side). These must be in color.
Pictures of: Cobalt VIN tag, engine block stamp, transmission tag, Goblin VIN tag (These were not specifically required, but I thought worthy to include to prove ownership if questioned)
MCO from DF Kit Car with invoice number on it
Invoice of Goblin Kit showing same invoice number as printed on the MCO (shows taxes paid)
Title from Cobalt, as well as bill of sale showing taxes paid
Copy of insurance coverage for the Goblin – must have DGFB#### VIN on it
Copy of local state inspection report (safety only) emissions test does not need to be performed
Copy of your Texas driver's license
The list above PLUS the cover letter created by the Regional Service Center will need to be provided to the local DMV to register then.

Goblin on, friends!

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. Time for a minor update. I have been waiting a little over a month for our wonderful local offices to open back up. I won't bore you with my thoughts, anger, and 2 cents on those in charge here.....

I checked to see if I could go to the next county over to register. No luck contacting anyone in that office. And, what I read on-line, it was not allowable.

I finally got an email reply from my local office today. The representative said they were familiar with our new requirements and could accept my application on-line. I am a little hesitant to do so since I was hoping to have a face-to-face with the processing agent to answer any questions and engage a superior if needed. Keep in mind the application package is more than 20 pages at this point. So reluctantly, I am going to email this person and try to get the process complete. Hopefully the required cover letter from the regional office that I already have will help smooth the process the rest of the way.
:rolleyes:
more to come.......

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Hopefully I’ll get my inspections this week. I need to test drive mine a little more, before I go anywhere for inspections. I want it to all be correct.

FTC

@JSATX ,@Lonny/@Adam, or anyone else that had been registered before, have you guys started the process of re-registering? Do you have to go through the whole process again, or is there a modified process for those that had their cars registered, but had their registration revoked?

ToxicBill

After reading this . . my only concern is that I don't have my Cobalt title as i gave that up when I sold off my donor shell.

I'll guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.