Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

petroman

This is all in flux at the moment. Atoms are absolutely something we intend to make legal, however the law is now written to where it’s the MANUFACTURER that makes the distinction of if their vehicle is designed for road use or not.

Previously it was the DMV that determined that, and it created all the problems.

So if Ariel says their atom is a track only vehicle, it wouldn’t be legal in Texas.

Also atoms can Be available as a “assembled vehicle” as they were originally imported with the engine separate from the chassis. It becomes more complicated because the dedicated Atom dealer in the states sells them as turnkey track vehicles. Most the atoms I know are registered in Montana anyway.
Thanks for that explanation. I’ll just hang back and wait for things to shake out. Hopefully this will be full encompassing with Ariel Atoms, Ultima Evolutions, etc. I don’t want to register in Montana due to the recent scrutiny in the last years the state IRS has on “tax avoidance” with LLC’s even though that wouldn’t be the reason for registering in that state. Thanks again for all of your efforts on making this possible for all kit car owners.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Great news. Thanks for all the hard work. I have been absent from here, but made my calls a few weeks ago. I’m actively looking for a cobalt now too.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kudos to everyone who worked hard to get this pushed through the Texas legislature. The passage of this bill ill go a long way to help not only those in Texas building kit cars, but will carry weight when used as an example for other states to pass similar bills to protect the hobby.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Hey Aaron.

Unfortunately you can not register at this time. The law passed, but there is a lot of work to do before the DMV updates all their processes.

aaronbuley

I just heard back from the Texas DMV. I completed the 68A process and went to go get my Title and VIN. They weren't sure what to do so they sent the info to Austin on Friday. They heard back today and said they weren't going to give a Title and VIN because "it's not a replica of anything. It's just a kit car you built." She said they have committed to figuring out this process "at some point in the future" but for now are saying No.

Now, I'm going to go try in Oklahoma where I have family living and can leverage their address.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The October board meeting came and went. We were not on the agenda, which was a little disappointing but it was not surprising.

December board meeting is canceled for holidays.

The good news is my partner in all this was selected for the advisory board to the DMV, due to returning to school and a baby on the way I did not apply for advisor position, but will of course continue to work closely with all involved.

Additional good news is Rep Thompson who originally sponsored the bill is continuing to provide a lot of support and is keeping up with the situation well. The executive director of the DMV board is also very supportive.

Will keep on keeping on and soon this mess will be behind us.

kalishek

I just heard back from the Texas DMV. I completed the 68A process and went to go get my Title and VIN. They weren't sure what to do so they sent the info to Austin on Friday. They heard back today and said they weren't going to give a Title and VIN because "it's not a replica of anything. It's just a kit car you built." She said they have committed to figuring out this process "at some point in the future" but for now are saying No.

Now, I'm going to go try in Oklahoma where I have family living and can leverage their address.
Welcome to Okie-dom my friend. Even better than the land of OZ for kit car owners. <]8D

JSATX

Goblin Guru
More progress has been made, I can for the first time say we are genuinely close to wrapping this up. The DMV board opened up the new rules to comments, we (assembled vehicle coalition) wrote out our questions and concerns which were accepted into the record at the February board meeting.

basically the short of it is kit cars will follow form VTR-64 which is a pretty relaxed safety inspection. We do not yet know if it will be a one time inspection or if they will also be subject to standard annual safety inspections. It was our recommendation that each new registration (each new owner) be required to get the enhanced inspection but that assembled vehicles be exempt from annuals.