Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
More progress has been made, I can for the first time say we are genuinely close to wrapping this up. The DMV board opened up the new rules to comments, we (assembled vehicle coalition) wrote out our questions and concerns which were accepted into the record at the February board meeting.

basically the short of it is kit cars will follow form VTR-64 which is a pretty relaxed safety inspection. We do not yet know if it will be a one time inspection or if they will also be subject to standard annual safety inspections. It was our recommendation that each new registration (each new owner) be required to get the enhanced inspection but that assembled vehicles be exempt from annuals.
Justin: Any movement or news here?
@JSATX

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
So, weird question on the ASE Master tech that has to sign off on the build to get plates; can you go one step up and get an air plane inspector to inspect the goblin? I would think their certifications would be much higher than an ASE and could possibly supersede them.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
So, weird question on the ASE Master tech that has to sign off on the build to get plates; can you go one step up and get an air plane inspector to inspect the goblin? I would think their certifications would be much higher than an ASE and could possibly supersede them.
Unfortunately like all government regulations logic doesn’t really apply. Unless they have the ASE master license number it won’t work. “Higher” is irrelevant as far as theyre concerned, it’s probably harder to get a master electrician cert too but it ain’t gonna work on this specific form....

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya, I figured that. I’m having a hard time finding a ase master. Most are like me and have let everything lapse years ago, because they are worthless. The ironic part is, I can easily find a plane inspector, since I live on an airfield.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Ya, I figured that. I’m having a hard time finding a ase master. Most are like me and have let everything lapse years ago, because they are worthless. The ironic part is, I can easily find a plane inspector, since I live on an airfield.
That ASE stuff is all bull. I had to take it back when I worked for a Buick dealer in the early 90"s . I did the body work tests every question on it was 10-15 years old. There were questions about lacquer when everyone was spraying urethane's for the last 5-8 years.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That ASE stuff is all bull. I had to take it back when I worked for a Buick dealer in the early 90"s . I did the body work tests every question on it was 10-15 years old. There were questions about lacquer when everyone was spraying urethane's for the last 5-8 years.
Exactly. I got mine in the early/mid 90s too and there were still carburetor questions in there. We did them because they meant more money for the more you had. Once I left the dealer, I figured out they were cool to have, but didn’t mean anything more than you could take and pass a test. With things as specialized as they are now, I’d put a lot more into manufacture training, than ase.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Copied from the FB page.

Tomorrow is a BIG day for Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail & Kitcar.

Tomorrow Tuesday, April 2nd, 2020 (Meeting starts promptly at 8:00AM) is the Day of the TxDMV Board Meeting that we have all been waiting for. After 3 long years, the bill being passed as a law months ago, and the original deadline of September 3rd, 2019 being missed. The TxDMV will finally vote on the Proposed Rules regarding Assembled Vehicles in Texas.

The Agenda for the meeting has been published and we are agenda item #10. Nothing is ever for sure, but we should all feel confident that the proposed rules will be passed

Due to the situation with the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the TxDMV Board has scheduled an Open Meeting to be held with a Telephone Conference Call via Webex.

To access the meeting online via Webex click the following link.

[https://txdmv.webex.com/txdmv/j.php?MTID=m23b961d05fb47a93942a7e21e0ae39c5](https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDEsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA0MDEuMTk2MjY2NTEiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3R4ZG12LndlYmV4LmNvbS90eGRtdi9qLnBocD9NVElEPW0yM2I5NjFkMDVmYjQ3YTkzOTQyYTdlMjFlMGFlMzljNSJ9.XkwdRujxofMztuCNi3AZxf8p4ptAlLfRNRddeC1CUss/br/76935421102-l)

If you prefer to access the meeting via telephone

United States Toll Free: 1-844-740-1264
Event number/Access code: 800 407 428

As I have said before, it is NOT in the best interest of our group, for ANYONE to talk during the meeting. Ron (our Lobbyist) nor I will be speaking either. I will have the Webex on one screen and Facebook open on the other. So, if you would like to chat please feel free to chime in on a private message.

Faron

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
If all goes well at the TxDMV Board Meeting, how long until they are allowing people to start registering?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
We have requested a timeframe from DMV as to when applications and titling can begin.
Justin: Where can we get a copy of the final requirements / inspection criteria? I would like to understand the details.
I assume the present virus craziness puts the time frame a little up in the air?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
We’re still waiting on a timeframe. For the requirements it’s my understanding were still using form VTR-64