Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The Problem
After being titled and registered for years, the titles for P1 and P2 were revoked by the Texas DMV. Other Goblin, kit car, custom vehicle and buggy owners have received letters explaining that the titles were issued in error and are being revoked.

The History
When we built our first car, we knew registration could be a hang up. However, we followed the rules laid out by the state and successfully registered P1. This made us more confident about making the kit car hobby into a kit car business. We built P2 and got it registered as well. We were feeling pretty good about registering the Goblin, at least here in our home state.

A dozen customers bought kits from us feeling pretty confident based on our success in titling and registering our cars. A couple of them were able to title and register their Goblins before the state changed its mind. Some have been shut down while trying to register (including the silver and blue car we built in the instructional videos) and some haven't begun to register their Goblins because they are building or waiting for their kits.

The Plan
We have to give a big thanks to JSATX for the work he has put in on this issue. He has done a lot of legwork that we simply did not have the time to do. Thanks to him, we are now in touch with a legislative consultant named Ron Hinkle. He came by the shop last week to discuss how to resolve this issue. He has experience with situations like this including being involved in the Polaris Slingshot registration issue here in Texas.

JSATX has also been working with owners of Manx buggies. They are also affected by what is going on so we are joining forces to get things fixed.

The plan is to first get a meeting at the DMV headquarters on December 7 to review and discuss amending the Texas Administrative Code 217.3. In order to get this meeting, we need help from fellow Texans and Goblin builders.

How can you help?
If you are from Texas, the biggest way you can help is to download the attached PDF, sign it and mail it in by this Friday November 10th. Be sure to include your printed name and address.

If you are not from Texas, you can still help the cause by donating to the fundraiser to help pay for Ron Hinkle's services. All you have to do is go to the following link, put in a few dollars and leave a comment like "Save the Goblins in Texas!"

https://www.gofundme.com/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thank you Adam. It’s been pretty crazy. One thing I’d like to add. If you are reading this and live in Texas PLEASE reach out to your local state representative. We’ve had excellent response from each one contacted. It takes ten seconds. If you don’t know who your rep is or what to say please contact me and I can help with both.

Reactions: PG5

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm sorry you guys have to go through this. I don't even live in Texas but this still upsets me.

I wish I could do more as a non resident, so I guess I'll throw a small donation to the consultant fund.

If this law happens to stick, what will that mean for custom builders--more specifically DF--in the state of Texas?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
TBH, Any state that allows any type of 2 wheeled vehicle on the road does not have the right to call all kit cars unsafe.... What is more unsafe then zero protection. I'll take my steal bars.

Sent in some money to thegofundme too.

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thanks everyone. We’re in a holding pattern until the next DMV board meeting on the 7th.

Johvans

Contacted my local rep, he made the comment that it seems ridiculous and is going to call me back.

John

BAR-AIR

Just curious what are the specific requirements that they are revoking just the registrations on just the VW Meyers style dune buggies and the Goblins. Or are other replica kits also get revoked?
If the kit had the additional safety equipment (basically like we are doing in NY) is that a passable car in their (Texas) eyes? Or are they saying it's never going to pass no matter what you add to it?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
It sounds like the DMV did a blanket revocation until they can figure out a way forward.

This is just a guess but I suspect that way forward will be rules similar to what states with more stringent safety requirements have in place.

I can't seem them being permanently banned.

Silverback

I wonder how Texas treats the 3-wheel Polaris Slingshot?

Is it acceptable since it is a motortrike? If I take one rear wheel off of my Goblin, does that make it legal in Texas?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Three wheelers are motorcycles here.

They are not revoking Goblin titles based on safety. They even admit that, due to passing ASE master inspection. They instead say it is not a replica of any vehicle and in Texas only replicas are legal. Atoms, Exocets, 818, GTM are all illegal due to the fact that they are not replicas of historic vehicles. That’s what we’re focusing on fixing.

Lots of meetings today, lots more tomorrow. So far the legislators we’ve met with are unanimously with us, and are pissed that the DMV is taking matters into their own hands. Which is exactly what we had planned on.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Well that is good, Hope it all works out. I can't stand the government taking away every **** fun thing we have.

Nuker-

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Three wheelers are motorcycles here.

They are not revoking Goblin titles based on safety. They even admit that, due to passing ASE master inspection. They instead say it is not a replica of any vehicle and in Texas only replicas are legal. Atoms, Exocets, 818, GTM are all illegal due to the fact that they are not replicas of historic vehicles. That’s what we’re focusing on fixing.

Lots of meetings today, lots more tomorrow. So far the legislators we’ve met with are unanimously with us, and are pissed that the DMV is taking matters into their own hands. Which is exactly what we had planned on.
Here in Az it seems very easy to get a kit car on the road so should be no worries for me, but a huge thanks to you for your work in Texas. Never imagined they would come up with such a BS rule in that state.

PHerder

In Kansas they want proof that the engine and transmission isn't stolen and a MSO for the frame otherwise it is just some safety items (3 point seatbelt, a rear view mirror, windshield wiper (can be manual) IF there is a windshield).

Of course that is if you don't get one of the HP inspectors that thinks the car needs to have every safety item a car manufactured in 2017 has (i.e. air bags, etc.) I was lucky to get one of the other inspectors from the location I went to, to look over the car (my Stalker) and pronounce it good and then assign me a VIN that he attached to the frame.

I can't wait to see what fun I will have out here in Dodge City, KS (NOT). I think I need to go to the HP inspection station and start a conversation with their inspectors, just to be prepared.

I might just see if I can call it a 2007 Cobalt SS since I have the title for it in my name. It is just a slightly modified version, right? :cool:

Silverback

...So far the legislators we’ve met with are unanimously with us, and are pissed that the DMV is taking matters into their own hands. Which is exactly what we had planned on.
Justin, thanks for taking the helm in this. Arbitrary adoption of subjective guidelines like this can only hurt us all.