Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Thanks (Again) Russel. I communicated with Charlotte Kirk who is the Houston regional manager and she found my paperwork. My safety inspection stated a 2008 Cobalt as that is what is on my insurance policy. The inspection shop didn't know what to do so copied it. Charlotte called and said I need the inspection to say 2021 ASVE. Did that and emailed the report sheet to them. She called 2 days later stating everything was approved and in order. Picked up my letter yesterday. Yeah! Now I need to wait for my tax collector appointment to get my title and plates.

Some things to note:

The Assembled vehicle manual is great for having all the info needed. Did not get hassled about sand rail or anything.
You seem to only need a safety inspection rather than have emission checked inspection
It seems the VIN she has listed is for DFGB0270 frame number and NOT the previous builder's 000000000DFGB0270. She crossed out my zeros on the forms.
Email the regional manager to help rather than having it go through "Austin"

Joe

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Vin for the title will be the short vin on the frame itself. You’ll need the 9 “0” in front of the DF vin for the state inspection computer to accept the vin.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Got my plates today!! Now fully legal.

Emailed Charlotte Kirk from the Houston regional office about my status. She checked and saw that my safety only inspection listed the donor cobalt as that was what was on my insurance policy. Went out and got it re-inspected and emailed the report to her. she called me to tell me that the paperwork was complete and ready to pick up. No issues or problems. Set up an appointment at the tax office to get the plates two weeks later.

Again, no issues and the clerk was really nice. She said it looks like it was fun, commented that I was not looking for hot rod or custom plates, how long it took to build, and how wide the tires were. No issues with the safety only inspection or any haggling over value and taxes due. $100 later for registration, plates and title later and can finally exhale.

I followed the manual here: https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/assembled-vehicles

and set up the appointment at the regional office. Email or phone calls prior might smooth things over but it certainly feels like they are getting used to Assembled vehicles being registered again.

Joe

Meansol

Did any of you need to show the actual ASE certified Master certificate? Dallas regional office is very new to the process requiring the local emissions and an actual copy of the ASE certified Master certificate, which was not on the list. They also tried to call it a sand rail but after a few days they agreed to classify it as an Assembled vehicle. The place that did the ASE inspection, filled out the VTR-64 from but cant find their actual certificate when the changed locations recently. I'll actually be in Houston in a couple weeks.... Can someone PM me Charlotte's number and email? Im thinking of going through her will be easier.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Did any of you need to show the actual ASE certified Master certificate? Dallas regional office is very new to the process requiring the local emissions and an actual copy of the ASE certified Master certificate, which was not on the list. They also tried to call it a sand rail but after a few days they agreed to classify it as an Assembled vehicle. The place that did the ASE inspection, filled out the VTR-64 from but cant find their actual certificate when the changed locations recently. I'll actually be in Houston in a couple weeks.... Can someone PM me Charlotte's number and email? Im thinking of going through her will be easier.
Yes. We all provided copies of the ASE inspection AND the inspector's printout that he was current in all sections.
check your PM from me.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. You will need a copy of the ase master certifications and all. MUST BE A MASTER ASE.

I should really renew mine again.

I doubt you can do it here. I would assume you’ll have to do it in your own region. Just like having to do title and registration in you own county. Good question for Charlotte though.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
It'd be great to have a local Goblin contingent. Maybe one day, enough Goblins will be in or around Lancaster, PA for that to happen here.

Frost had one near here for a while but sold it. Tinkles is a hour and a half or so away I think. Not sure about any others.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
It'd be great to have a local Goblin contingent. Maybe one day, enough Goblins will be in or around Lancaster, PA for that to happen here.

Frost had one near here for a while but sold it. Tinkles is a hour and a half or so away I think. Not sure about any others.
Our club is invitation only.......
But we would make an exception for you Jeremy!!!!! :0

Brett

I have bumped into @Brett or his family 4 times in the last month. And only once was he invited :p. BTW, his kid is wicked smart.

Joe
Every time I turn around, I find Joebob or some connection to him. My kids come home from field day and say "I saw Joebob". Funny that they refer to him by his screen name.

When I was pulling up to Joebobs house the other day, it occurred to me that I had driven down his street before. Wife and I were looking at a house in his neighborhood two doors down from Joebob. :eek:

Last edited:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Every time I turn around, I find Joebob or some connection to him. My kids come home from field day and say "I saw Joebob". Funny that they refer to him by his screen name.

When I was pulling up to Joebobs house the other day, it occurred to me that I had driven down his street before. Wife and I were looking at a house in his neighborhood two doors down from Joebob. :eek:
That would be crazy as I already have a guy and the end of my street get a '65 Lincoln to copy my '67.

Meansol

so the guy that did the ASE inspection had his ASE certification expire. Anyone in the DFW area know someone who has it? I tried a all local shops near me. Going to try the dealership next

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. I had that problem too, when finding one.

Pm Adam or Lonny. I would think top they have a contact up that direction.