Texas title signed but not notarized. Does it need to be? What do I do?

Dakota8800

The donor I purchased is actually the first vehicle I purchased on my own.
Please excuse my ignorance, as I am new to this whole process.
I checked that the title was signed by the seller on the back (and it was) and checked for a notarization/seal blank but did not find it.
Now I am paranoid.
I've done the research, but can't come to a solid conclusion.
Did I have to fill out another form?
Could I still get the title transferred to Oklahoma?

Not sure if this is relevant, but the title was issued in 2015. Just in case older laws apply.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Dakota8800

Did you get form 130-U signed from the seller?
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle

The title does not need to be notarized.
Ouch. No. Didn't know there was such a thing. If I send it to him and he signs it will that work?

Here is the issue. I bought the vehicle from someone who bought it from the person on the title. The original owner signed the title. I have the address of the person on the title but that is it.
Is there another option?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Are you going to drive this before you tear it apart? What’s the reason for transferring the title?

If you are transferring from another state, you will also need a Texas state inspection with an out of state form. The state inspector will do all that for you.

Also, what jbintx said.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ouch. No. Didn't know there was such a thing. If I send it to him and he signs it will that work?

Here is the issue. I bought the vehicle from someone who bought it from the person on the title. The original owner signed the title. I have the address of the person on the title but that is it.
Is there another option?
Supposedly Texas will begin accepting registrations for the Goblin on June 22. I hope the date is still a good one given the recent pandemic issues. There are several items you will need for registering at some point. Here is the info:
https://www.txdmv.gov/publications-tac/doc_download/3447-assembled-vehicle-manual

I plan on taking my title to the Cobalt with me just in case.
I will continue to post updates on the forum as I encounter the process.

RouteAbel

Are you going to drive this before you tear it apart? What’s the reason for transferring the title?

If you are transferring from another state, you will also need a Texas state inspection with an out of state form. The state inspector will do all that for you.

Also, what jbintx said.
You don't have to have an inspection to title it, you do to register it. I titled my goblin in Texas with nothing more than a signed title and a handwritten receipt. They asked about insurance and inspection but I told them I intended to tear down the vehicle for parts.

Dakota8800

You don't have to have an inspection to title it, you do to register it. I titled my goblin in Texas with nothing more than a signed title and a handwritten receipt. They asked about insurance and inspection but I told them I intended to tear down the vehicle for parts.
Okay. So I will need a signature from the seller either way?
I will not be driving it, just using it for parts. I was hoping to get the title in my name and then transfer it to Oklahoma because that allows for much easier registration and it's where I live.
Thank you! Much appreciated!

RouteAbel

Okay. So I will need a signature from the seller either way?
I will not be driving it, just using it for parts. I was hoping to get the title in my name and then transfer it to Oklahoma because that allows for much easier registration and it's where I live.
Thank you! Much appreciated!
Sorry I meant I titled my Cobalt (not goblin) in Texas. The title has to be signed, I think that is it. The receipt I had was more for sales tax. They will charge you an assumed value unless you have a receipt for what you paid.

Dakota8800

Sorry I meant I titled my Cobalt (not goblin) in Texas. The title has to be signed, I think that is it. The receipt I had was more for sales tax. They will charge you an assumed value unless you have a receipt for what you paid.
If that is the case, then this is awesome news for me! Thank you very much!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Just a note, since I now have a title to my goblin:

I had the signed title and title transfer papers to the cobalt I bought. I never transferred the cobalt to my name. The state didn’t care about the transfer, but did take the title to the cobalt to use as proof of the parts used were not stolen. Cobalt info (VIN) will also need to on one of the forms.

they didn’t charge me any extra taxes for not transferring the cobalt and no real taxes on the goblin, just normal registration fees and such (A little over $100).