Thoughts on OBD2 digital gauges via tablet?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I’m curious about lag issues that come with using tablets to interface live data from the the CAN bus. This was part of the reason I was swayed from going that route.
Only the tach lags when you quickly blip the throttle, using a cheap bluetooth adapter. But the guage cluster tach lags as well. The USB adapter is supposed to read a lot faster.
But when driving and you have time to look at the tach, your not going to see that lag. It seems to keep up with 2nd gear on.
When autocrossing, I honestly dont have a chance to even look at the dash. Only when driving back to the staging lanes do I look and that's for IAT and engine coolant temps.

PaulPerger

Found it :)
That will power a Mini ATX motherboard if you are building a full PC into the car... It won't supply power to a tablet and turn on that tablet with the ignition switch. The only way to automatically turn on a tablet when it receives power is through the tablet's settings. Unless you are going to open the tablet and expose the motherboard.

Peregrinus

That will power a Mini ATX motherboard if you are building a full PC into the car... It won't supply power to a tablet and turn on that tablet with the ignition switch. The only way to automatically turn on a tablet when it receives power is through the tablet's settings. Unless you are going to open the tablet and expose the motherboard.
If I'm doing it as a computer for a vehicle I'd pull the tablet open and solder to the motherboard. That was my plan if I did this.

also in the left column, there is about 15 different types of power supplies, i just linked the first one that popped up. i forget the exact one i had planned to use with a tablet.

Last edited:

CodyP

Found this when looking for a way to see oil pressure. Using this Dashbox and Real Dash you can add analog and digital inputs to your obd2 tablet dashboard.
9DD28602-DA53-4B96-86CA-7BF73359694E.jpeg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Our 2006 LSJ doesn't have an oil pressure sensor, so you won't find the pressure thru the OBDii port.
We have an oil pressure switch, which indicates if the engine has low oil pressure.
Old school oil pressure gauge here, which uses an aftermarket pressure sensor to replace the plug in our engine.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The turbos don't have pressure either (and probably none of the cobalts). I made a manifold out of a 1"x1.5"x6" block of aluminum so I could have both the oem light and an aftermarket gauge but to tell the truth, I'm not sure if I would ever see either one quickly enough to do any good if I had an issue. At some point I need to add a light behind the steering wheel and wire it to the oem switch so maybe I will notice it soon enough to save the engine if I have a problem.

CodyP

Our 2006 LSJ doesn't have an oil pressure sensor, so you won't find the pressure thru the OBDii port.
We have an oil pressure switch, which indicates if the engine has low oil pressure.
Old school oil pressure guage here, which uses an aftermarket pressure sensor to replace the plug in our engine.
Yes, I understand that. The product that I shared allows you to add analog and digital inputs to a tablet gauge panel. Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant you'd be able to physically wire and add pressure sensors, temp transmitters, etc, and then have them display on the same tablet with your OBD2 parameters.