Throttle Sensitivity

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Has anyone figured out how to reduce the throttle sensitivity? Other GM vehicles that I've used HPTuners on had a table where you could change how much throttle was applied for how far the pedal was pressed. That would be super handy here for smoothing it out but I don't believe our PCM has that ability. Is there an inline device that could be plugged it or has anyone figured out anything else that would help?

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Has anyone figured out how to reduce the throttle sensitivity? Other GM vehicles that I've used HPTuners on had a table where you could change how much throttle was applied for how far the pedal was pressed. That would be super handy here for smoothing it out but I don't believe our PCM has that ability. Is there an inline device that could be plugged it or has anyone figured out anything else that would help?
I believe what you are looking for is torque adjustment within HP Tuners based on RPM.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
There is a table in Torque Management. It modifies the spark retard for a given desired torque. ZZP tends to change everything to 100% all the time and makes it hard to drive. I'm not st home otherwise I'd paste a copy of the table.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I also have this issue. I have an 06 LSJ, and HP Tuners. I think all supercharged LSJ ecotecs have this issue. The turbo is much smoother in low RPM.

I will play with the ETC (electronic throttle control) TPS (throttle position sensor) max table.
Maybe lowering the numbers at lower RPM (say below 2700 rpm) will help with this torque issue.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Good point Chad.
If this table isn't set, then the table above probably doesn't work.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
There are some throttle enhancement boxes on the market that are able to speed up AND slow down electronic throttle response. I helped my neighbor install one of these in his Mini Cooper JCW S, made a world of difference. Plus he can set to 'economy' when he lets his wife drive it - makes it into a docile and normal 'old ladies' car. Can assist with taming the throttle response on your Goblin - at least until you get it tuned and used to the car. :)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Those throttle control devices have caused problems in the Gen5 Camaros. They can trigger check engine codes and reduced power mode at random.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
One instance of an issue with one vehicle type makes them all bad? Your related event is good to know, but the LT engine issue you speak of was for the 'first gen' of electronic throttle controls that had many problems and factory recalls (I know because I had one) and were quickly replaced by the 'second gen' electronic throttle controls on the new LS motors. BUT, this discussion is about the Ecotec engines and not 5th gen Camaros. Where is the information that adding an electronic throttle enhancement box will do anything bad to a Cobalt?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'm just warning people to do their research. Even on the Camaro they really didn't do anything bad to the car, they just didn't work very well for a lot of them.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The 1989 IROC Z-28 I owned for a whole 11 months had so many recalls and issues with the LT1 motor I finally got rid of it. Worst of all was the electronic throttle that was the first year on the Camaros. I could easily see where trying to enhance that electronic nightmare would cause all sorts of issues. On the other hand, once I get my engine tuned in my Goblin, I am seriously considering one of the Vitesse throttle boxes, mainly so I can dial it back for daily driving. :)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don’t know it changes anything already said, but I am talking about 5th generation Camaros , 2010-2015. A little more related to the cobalt than 3rd or 4th gen Camaros

Christopher Sanchez

The 1989 IROC Z-28 I owned for a whole 11 months had so many recalls and issues with the LT1 motor I finally got rid of it. Worst of all was the electronic throttle that was the first year on the Camaros. I could easily see where trying to enhance that electronic nightmare would cause all sorts of issues. On the other hand, once I get my engine tuned in my Goblin, I am seriously considering one of the Vitesse throttle boxes, mainly so I can dial it back for daily driving. :)
Sqwatch I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how smooth and manageable our T/C models are at low speeds. I can putt this thing around like a Chevrolet aveo when I want to. The snappy throttle responses were a known issue in the S/C Cobalts. Now with almost half the weight I feel for the S/C goblin guys however seems like driver mod can mostly remedy it.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Sqwatch I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how smooth and manageable our T/C models are at low speeds. I can putt this thing around like a Chevrolet aveo when I want to. The snappy throttle responses were a known issue in the S/C Cobalts. Now with almost half the weight I feel for the S/C goblin guys however seems like driver mod can mostly remedy it.
Driving around town is manageable if I press my foot against the tunnel to help keep it steady but autocrossing is a totally different animal. I'm sure it'll get a little bit easier with more seat time but man does that sensitive throttle make the rear end snappy. It's also very strange now getting back into the other race car that has well over double the power of the Goblin and I actually have to USE the pedal for the car to do anything.

Indy Lonnie

When I had my car tuned, I asked them to work on the throttle jerkiness. It is much better now. Don't know what they did, but it can be corrected...

95Blitz

Seeing how there is a throttle map, you should be able to tune the map kind of like how F1 uses theirs. So factory you move the throttle pedal 10% open and the throttle plate moves 10% open. On F1 throttles 10% pedal movement might give 5% plate movement. And it really ramps up after 70% or so, theirs is for traction control but it could be used to smooth out the throttle movements also.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I wish it were as easy as just re-mapping the input to output but the table in HP tuners for the 07 or older SC, is much more different than that. It takes the input and calculates the desired amount of torque and removes spark timing to make it less responsive.

I should play with the table and really move it around to see what it does. I know what it does when it's all 100 or the timing table is zeroed out, hard as hell to drive. Currently our car is set somewhere between stock and all 100. I would still like it to be more smooth down around idle but i think there is another issue (see my thread on this).

95Blitz

My donor should be here next week and the first thing I'm buying is hp tuners. With this thread and the tuning thread I'm dieing here, I loved tuning on my 95 Lightning.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So I zeroed out the torque below 2250 RPM.
Did nothing to reduce torque.
Then I reduced the spark commanded to half the stock values, for the cells under 9.3%
Did nothing to reduce torque.
Any ideas on what parameter might be set that is preventing these tables from working?

Dsteinhorst

Is there a way to digitally delay the throttle or ignore sudden inputs? The Jeep Wrangler and I'm sure many other cars have this logic. The Jeeps was so pronounced, it was a bit of a learning curve.