Tie rod ends

ToxicBill

I didn't see this specific question addressed anywhere so I wanted to ask it:. Do I put the tie rod ends from the steering rack onto the back and the ones supplied by DF on the front?

If it's posted somewhere, I couldn't find it.

barichuk

When I put the DF supplies tie rod ends on the front, the wheels were \ / , extreme toe-out. They were about 3" long, and the stock ones were about 4 1/2". I put the stock ones back on and the wheels are lining up.

Ross

Goblin Guru
When I put the DF supplies tie rod ends on the front, the wheels were \ / , extreme toe-out. They were about 3" long, and the stock ones were about 4 1/2". I put the stock ones back on and the wheels are lining up.
That lead to braking shake on my front wheels. The 3" long tie rod ends should be on the front. Post some picture of the front suspension setup, lets see if we can find the issue.

barichuk

That lead to braking shake on my front wheels. The 3" long tie rod ends should be on the front. Post some picture of the front suspension setup, lets see if we can find the issue.
Pic 1 is the 3" on top of the 4 1/2". Pic 2 is the front end as it is now. Imagine the two steering arms pulled in 1 1/2" each and you can tell how far out the alignment would be.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
I don't see anything wrong with the front end, but the pictures don't show me much.
Lonnie spent 20 seconds looking at my front suspension and correctly diagnosed my front end shake issue.
I had been driving about a year on it before I learned what I assembled wrong.
Video 23 - Front Suspension

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Pic 1 is the 3" on top of the 4 1/2". Pic 2 is the front end as it is now. Imagine the two steering arms pulled in 1 1/2" each and you can tell how far out the alignment would be.
Can you take some photos straight down on the steering arms and some of your ball joints/rod ends at the top and bottom of your upright ?

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Roughly adjust your caster and camber and then check your toe with a tape measure and see where it is at.

barichuk

Roughly adjust your caster and camber and then check your toe with a tape measure and see where it is at.
Roughly: caster is 9*, camber is 4*, and toe is out 1/4". I have not installed the rear suspension yet and not installed the steering wheel yet. Tires and steering are not yet centered. I will be fine-tuning later.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I am sure there are many preferences for alignment out there.
Here is what DF suggests below. Many have followed it closely with good results.

Ross

Goblin Guru
You should be able to adjust that tow to be 1/8" tow-in. Hopefully reduce that camber to 1.5 degrees (or less) too.

The front suspension:
Lower A arms have all 3 heim joints threaded in almost all the way. About 1 thread left.
Upper A arms have about 4 threads visible on all the heim joints.
Tie rod ends have an inch on one side and 3/4" on the other of threads visible on the short(3.5") tie rod ends. 4.5" tie rod ends go on the rear.

Last edited:

barichuk

I have just learned that the front rods and ends go to the back, and the back go to the front. This info is scattered throughout the forum and I had not noticed it before. I am putting it here, too, so there is one more chance of somebody seeing it.