Timing chain guide bolt

Ross

Goblin Guru
I just pulled the timing cover plug from one of the engines that we are using for our new build videos and the bolt is gone.
You can see it worked on the end of the plug for a while before finding its way down in the engine.
View attachment 13018View attachment 13019
That is what mine looked like too. I used a magnet on a bendy wire to fish around in the oil pan, but never found the bolt head. At least you still have the black chain guide in place. Sometimes that gets chewed up and broken.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I am starting to think that GM may not of had a tensioner problem. I am thinking this way because when this bolt fails and the chain comes loose breaks a lot of stuff. You tear it apart and say the tensioner failed first......

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
New crate LNF, zero miles, first mod - changing out the factory tensioner bolt with the Dorman bolt. $20 insurance policy is well worth the money. After seeing all of the communication about this bolt there is never a good time to NOT replace it. :)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Swapped mine out today just to be safe. I thought I remembered taking it out when doing the timing chain and it seemed fine. It was. I’m glad to see that it wasn’t causing an issue yet.

Attachments