Timing Chain Kit for LSJ

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I'm getting mixed signals from the Cobalt forum as well as here... I'm going to replace the following:

- Timing Chain --- Cloyes 9-4201S Multi-Piece Timing Kit
- Balance Chain --- Cloyes 9-4202S Balance Shaft Kit
- Water Pump
- LSJ Crankshaft Balancer 12583151 with new bolt
- Valve Seals (stock from ZZP)
- Valve Springs (stock from ZZP)
- Stock Lash Adjusters (lifters)
- Stock Rocker Arms
- Stock cam shafts (maybe... if I can find them for a good price)

I have three questions for other LSJ owners who've done this before and also used Cloyes:

1. Will all the parts in the Cloyes kits fit / work on my LSJ? There was something about the sprockets not fitting in the forums.
2. Anything else you think I should replace for an engine with 118,000 miles on it. I'll be doing flywheel and clutch as well.
3. If I don't get NEW cam shafts, is it ok to just stick with my olds ones?

Thanks in advance!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
1) I'm trying to remember it's been so long now, I believe the two small gears for the balance shafts are different. I reused my originals. Not normally something I would recommend but none of the chain items or gears showed signs of wear. You just don't want to put a worn out gear with a new chain and vise versa. You'll be fine at 118k.

2) get a new front crank seal while you are in there. By the time you are done it could end up leaking.

3) I see no reason why you would need new cams at this point. But I'm not an Ecotech expert. I didn't put new ones in at 116K.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
1)
2) get a new front crank seal while you are in there. By the time you are done it could end up leaking.

3) I see no reason why you would need new cams at this point. But I'm not an Ecotech expert. I didn't put new ones in at 116K.
I will second this. as long as the engine had regular oil changes you should be fine. I have 180,000 on mine.

lksohm

I don't know if it applies but my daily river has over 230K and the cams look untouched when I have changed the timing belt. I wouldn't consider them a wear item.
My donor is an '07 LSJ with 140K. I'm planning on doing a new chain with tensioner and a clutch is all before I put it in the goblin frame.
Does anyone know about how much work it is to drop the drive train in the goblin compared to the cobalt?
I assume it would be miles easier.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know about how much work it is to drop the drive train in the goblin compared to the cobalt?
I assume it would be miles easier.
Oh yeah, much easier. We've done it. I hate doing the fluids but it's easy. Depends on how you tape up your harness, keep the engine harness separate from the body harness so you don't have to untape it. Undo the hoses, top strut mounts, misc lines such as vacuum and gas, engine mounts, and four cradle bolts and it should come right out.