Tim's Extended Track Lower Entry - 10 SS/Tc *REGISTERED*

Tim Moland

Hello all. I am in Wichita, KS, and I have been planning on building a goblin for several years now. Purchased a 2010 SS/TC Cobalt ~1 1/2 years ago as my daily driver with the thought of using it as my donor. Long story short, I ordered my frame six weeks ago, drove my pristine cobalt into the garage, and started taking it apart. I received my frame today(#135), along with Zacmaster(also in Wichita) and three other frames for other guys splitting the shipping cost. It was quite a sight. Did some building today. Having a blast!!
20190227_102853.jpg
20190312_125900.jpg
20190413_111113.jpg
20190413_114723.jpg
20190413_215542.jpg
20190414_034353.jpg
20190414_034408.jpg

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Wow! I would have had a hard time breaking down that donor. That thing was in great shape. Monday morning is going to roll around and you are going to realize you are in a pickle. :D

Someone kept the boys (and girl) at DF busy building frames, etc. That was quite an order going out the door. The kids probably thought the load was a carnival coming to town.

Looks like you are off to a great start.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Tim, I'm sure there are some Cobalt SS forum readers who are taken aback that a pristine 2010 was 'sacrificed' for a Goblin build. I'm sure they will get over it. :D
Good luck with your build, looks like you are off to a very good start. Love the green frame, will be a good looking car when it is finished.
Nice garage by the way, like the flat screen for entertainment during those boring moments waiting for the paint to dry. :rolleyes:

Tim Moland

Tim, I'm sure there are some Cobalt SS forum readers who are taken aback that a pristine 2010 was 'sacrificed' for a Goblin build. I'm sure they will get over it. :D
Good luck with your build, looks like you are off to a very good start. Love the green frame, will be a good looking car when it is finished.
Nice garage by the way, like the flat screen for entertainment during those boring moments waiting for the paint to dry. :rolleyes:
I installed that tv just so I could watch the goblin build videos as I work. Taking apart the cobalt was simple: watch ten seconds of video, pause, go do that work, watch ten more seconds of video, pause... It's working out great.

Tim Moland

Got a little more work done today. Decided to install the drivers seat to see how I fit in the car. For anyone using the stock seats, you have to "modify" the seat to get it to fit. You have to remove all the plastics on both sides of the seat that cover the mechanical stuff. You have to cut off about 1/4" of the mounting brackets on the sliders to allow the seat to fit between the tunnel and the outside frame tube. And I had to shave a little off of the front mounts to allow it to fit over the frame tube. After that, I was pretty happy about the way the seat sat in the car. Now I have to take it back out and paint all the bare metal under the plastic pieces I took off.

I got most of the brake reservoir relocating done. I hope it's right. Not a lot of info on newer model relocation. I seem to be missing the hoses that reconnect the reservoir to the master cylinder. Don't know if they are rubber hoses or hard plastic lines. I think I mounted the reservoir in the correct holes to maintain level. If anything looks wrong, let me know.
20190415_030106.jpg
20190415_030023.jpg
20190415_030038.jpg

Tim Moland

Your picture is what got me to where I am now. Thank you. It looks like the hoses you used to re-connect the reservoir to the master cylinder are hard plastic lines like the vacuum tube. But it didn't look like the vacuum tube would be big enough to go over the nipples. Is that stuff something DF provides, or do you have to supply it yourself?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Your picture is what got me to where I am now. Thank you. It looks like the hoses you used to re-connect the reservoir to the master cylinder are hard plastic lines like the vacuum tube. But it didn't look like the vacuum tube would be big enough to go over the nipples. Is that stuff something DF provides, or do you have to supply it yourself?
The red hose I ordered online. The other black hoses are the left over plastic fuel line that came with the kit. If I remember right I heated them slid them over then tightened the clamps while they were still warm. Here it is copied off of Chad

http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/ctuinstras-city-goblin-07-ss-sc-donor-2-0.756/page-4#post-13574

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The nylon 12 hose we supply is for the brake booster vacuum line, fuel line, brake reservoir, and clutch master cylinder.

You can push the hose over the brass fittings by slightly moving the hose side to side while pushing. Don't get too aggressive or you will link it.
I have never used any clamps on these hoses and have had no leaks. It's seems like the folks that have tried to put clamps on them have sometimes had problems with leaking.

For the clutch master cylinder you will use the original hose from your donor and cut it in half. Use a section of nylon 12 to extend it enough to reach from the reservoir to the clutch master cylinder. Use two of the spring clamps from your donor or pick up a couple from your local parts store.

Tim Moland

Did a little more plumbing on the master cylinder. I have one more hose for the clutch to hook up. I notice the nipple coming off the reservoir looked a little fatigued at the base from me yanking on the original house to get it off. I decided to JB weld the base to give it a little more support before it cracks.
20190416_031855.jpg

Then I moved on to the fuel tank. Got it all installed and the filler neck plumbed. I then noticed that the fuel pump hold down ring is under the fuel tank top frame rail. It is impossible to remove it from the tank without loosening the tank strap and letting the tank relax back. I'm thinking that doing this after the engine is installed will be very hard. Any reason why I can't install the fuel pump now before the engine is installed? Also, does the vent tube in the filter neck get a hose attached right back to the nipple in the top of the tank, or does something else hook up there. I noticed there is a T in the fuel filter neck parts bag. Maybe that goes in between.
20190416_031920.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Install the fuel pump now. Just make sure you clock it correctly. The vent hose goes to the T and then to the filler neck. The other side of the T just vents to the ground. Make sure you loop the vent above the level of the tank.