Tinkles Street Monster - No donor Extended City chassis

Tinkles

At the moment, nothing. The fuel tank is painted and ratchet strapped in place. I messed up making my 1st set of straps to hold the tank in place by cutting the one end too short and haven't touched it since. I could currently blame the winter weather and not having a heated garage, but really I haven't had the motivation or money to work on it.

Tinkles

Well some motivation is returning. Being active on the forum helps. But unfortunately mother nature is off her meds. 55-60 degrees one day and 25 the next. I feel like I am very close to installing the drivetrain, but I still have stuff i need to tweak in the engine, LSD and shifter install in the transmission, test fit my "custom" clutch setup, and I am probably forgetting a few other things.

I have been thinking about giving up on making it street legal and just going full race car. I have other fun street cars, but I don't have a dedicated track car.

Last edited:

Tinkles

I had a buddy drop by last weekend and gave me a deadline for the Goblin. August 15th(I believe) is an invite only car show that he hosts every year in conjunction with a local Italian festival. Every year I get the invite and every year I end up taking my Cavalier. I told him that the Goblin won't be running/driving by then, but trailering it in as a rolling chassis can be done. My buddy even offered to help work on it. So hopefully I end up making a bunch of progress on it this year.

Tinkles

ZZ-LNFAXLE-S1 is the part number for the axle that came with my ZZP F40 swap kit. Funny, it just so happens that ZZ-LNFAXLE-S1 is also the part number for the Stage 1 LNF axle I had also ordered from ZZP. I matched them up and they are identical. I also talked with ZZP and they confirmed that I was shipped the correct axle with my F40 swap kit. I suspect there might be some bamboozling going on. I might have the wrong axle. Both stock LNF axles might work. Maybe ZZP's Stage 1 LNF axles are the perfect length to fit both sides. I cannot say anything for certain yet and probably not for a few months.

What I can say is that the stock axles in my Cavalier have been holding up just fine at double the stock power output for 10+ years. One of the mods I did back in 2011/2012 winter was install different front lower control arms which are 1/2" longer over the factory ones. So they are "stretched" out farther than normal.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The driver's side transmission face is 1 7/8 inches further out from centerline, than the passenger's side face on the end of the jackshaft from centerline. Those who have bought the ZZP F40 swap kit have reported the driver's axle is definitely shorter than the passenger's axle - ZZP supplied or LNF/LSJ.

Tinkles

Some late night window shopping has me thinking. Sadev makes "universal" FWD sequential transmissions(no bell-housings on them). I'll have to get a custom bell-housing and axles made and I am unsure about the input shaft. I believe that I could accomplish those things, but it looks like I'll have to talk to Sadev directly about pricing. And since I am no where near being able to afford what could very well be a $20k transmission, I do not see any point in bothering them. I'll have to stop making excuses, change a few things in my life(which honestly really need to change), and readdress this idea later on.

Tinkles

Fuel tank straps are finally done and installed. So the fuel tank is finally in. I also started to fit the hood. I still have alot more tweaking, but I got the 2 front hood pins to latch. I guess the next thing I need to focus on is getting the engine and transmission squared away.

Tinkles

So it turns out I screwed up the surface prep before using the Steel-It. Rust is forming under it and popping up through it. Plus it flakes off with any little bump. It has been bugging me for awhile, so I have finally decided to sand it all off and respray it with regular primer, paint, and clear. I picked up a bunch of metallic gray to do the job. I am also going to try my hand at painting the bodywork too. If I fail at it then I'll just vynal wrap it. I just cannot decide on a color. Part of me is thinking orange, but I haven't found one I like. The other part is thinking blue and I did grab a few cans of a metallic blue that caught my eye. I am also entertaining the idea of green, but like the orange I haven't found something I like.

Tinkles

I got a few bars sanded and resprayed. It is definitely going to be sucky job. My head is telling me to do it all and make sure everything is sealed up. I also tossed some body filler on the top of the windshield frame to make it look nicer. Hopefully a few of my buddies will be able to stop by and help or else I'll just break it down into sections and spend a few hours a day on my days off grinding away at it. I am probably going to end up working some of the body panels while I'm at it. Just get all of the body work done.

Tinkles

Still working on smoothing out the top of the windshield frame, but you can kinda see the new paint on the top section of the main hoop.

The quick jacks lift the car up higher than I had it on jack stands and have it at a nice height to work on.

Here is some of the rust coming through the Steel-It.

How crowded the garage actually is. The goal is to build a shed sometime to toss the quad and mower in along with other lawn/garden equipment that is in my other garage to free up space in both.

ATMironov

Still working on smoothing out the top of the windshield frame, but you can kinda see the new paint on the top section of the main hoop.
View attachment 39869

The quick jacks lift the car up higher than I had it on jack stands and have it at a nice height to work on.

Here is some of the rust coming through the Steel-It.

How crowded the garage actually is. The goal is to build a shed sometime to toss the quad and mower in along with other lawn/garden equipment that is in my other garage to free up space in both.
Can you share some pictures of the hood pins? I'm thinking about doing this exact same thing, but am curious what the connection looks like for the pins on the cross bar.

Tinkles

Can you share some pictures of the hood pins? I'm thinking about doing this exact same thing, but am curious what the connection looks like for the pins on the cross bar.
2 things. 1st, If you are talking about the dash bar that the hood hinges on. That was cut out and replaced. A few pages back should have pictures.
2nd, the pins next to the windshield are not installed yet. I had to cut the hood to clear the windshield before we could build mounting brackets.