Tire Pressures

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I was always told to baseline tire pressures at 1% of vehicle weight and it has worked well for me so far.
Makes perfect sense before I blew my motor at Pungo yesterday we had dropped from 23 PSI to about 19 all around as times improved on a poor concreate surface. The lower we dropped the front the better and more forgiving the initial brake bite was, that helped me from instantly locking the brakes when trying to slow down.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I was looking at tire temperature gauges when I came across this video.
Now that is how to watch your tire temps. 16 channels, 4 tires, realtime.
Amazing how quickly tires heat up and cool down.

Inside the tire temperatures? You bet. Wow, high speed cooks the inside tire temps!

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Everything will effect the optimum tire pressure.

Those are some wide wheels. I like them. You could have gone with a wider section width on the tires for those rims. I'm the opposite, I would like to go with a wider tire but limited to the wheel width.

dastrups

Everything will effect the optimum tire pressure.

Those are some wide wheels. I like them. You could have gone with a wider section width on the tires for those rims. I'm the opposite, I would like to go with a wider tire but limited to the wheel width.
Spot on! I wish they made a 275/40/15. Can’t find one anywhere. I do like the bit of stretch look. It’s growing on me. I will eventually have a track dedicated set of wheels with some wider Hoosiers like some of the other guys have.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Just another thought and probably pointless but I wonder if the sidewall stiffness will really affect what pressures work well for that specific tire. I went with a much stiffer sidewall for more feedback but that isn’t necessarily what most people want.
I Ran a BFG rival (soft sidewall) and the Re71(stiff sidewall) on my corvette. The BFG Rival I ran the same pressures as the Re71 but the Rival would lay power down out of a corner better than the Hoosier a7's(stiff sidewall) but not corner as well. The Re71(stiff sidewall) has the cornering stability and feel of the Hoosiers but not the overall grip. The tread face is impacted by the pressures also so even with a stiffer sidewall you may end up running the same pressures.

dastrups

I Ran a BFG rival (soft sidewall) and the Re71(stiff sidewall) on my corvette. The BFG Rival I ran the same pressures as the Re71 but the Rival would lay power down out of a corner better than the Hoosier a7's(stiff sidewall) but not corner as well. The Re71(stiff sidewall) has the cornering stability and feel of the Hoosiers but not the overall grip. The tread face is impacted by the pressures also so even with a stiffer sidewall you may end up running the same pressures.
Some good info!