Tire Rack - DIY or ready made?

Chris_WNC

I've ended up with some extra tires and a wheel set, somehow. I'd like to store them out of the way without damaging them. I ended up with a summer set of Michelin tires for my Cayman, an all season set of Potenza tires for the goblin, and a set of rims/tires off the T-Bird.

What are you guys doing for your extra wheels and tires? I have plenty of wall space to mount something.
Did you DIY or get one of the ready made solutions?

CHRIS

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
DIY - built a rolling tire storage stacker made from scrap steel tubing. Welded up a crossbar and removable vertical post, put casters on the end of each leg of the crossbar, and a round plywood base for the tires to rest on when stacked. It will fit tires on rims up to 35 inches, so I can stack Jeep wheels/tires too. Unfortunately it's in storage with my Goblin, sorry no pic.

CodyP

I've been thinking about doing the same. Probably do 1 inch rigid threaded pipe with some structural pipe fittings to make a "box" near the ceiling. If I had more than one set I'd probably build one out of unistrut. A unistrut tire rack would be relatively inexpensive, parts readily available at any electrical supply, and adjustable for whatever you may throw up there in the future. And it could also hold other stuff.

Chris_WNC

That dolly is very reasonably priced. I'd like to get them up off the floor and up on that unused space on this wall. I going to move my Juki sewing machine in there at some point and I'd like to have it where the tires are now.

Structural steel pipe seems to be the way to go.
CHRIS