Dsteinhorst's WI city build 09 2.2 #182 MT Registered Now with boost

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
1.5" is about the maximum gain. I had 5" of ground clearance when I first set it down, but adjusted down about 1/2" to gain some shock extend travel.
this is what I would want. Looking at pictures of auto cross guys, there’s usually a ft tire lifted. I would figure a little more travel would be nice. i don’t really care about extra ride height, although I’m use to driving a truck for over 20 years now, so maybe I should add a 10” lift kit to the goblin. :D

Anks329

1.5" is about the maximum gain. I had 5" of ground clearance when I first set it down, but adjusted down about 1/2" to gain some shock extend travel.
Thanks! This is helpful. I'm going to have to see how mine looks when I get it off the stands before going down this route.

Dsteinhorst

I get to be picky now. Tiny changes that only I notice.
I got a different plate light that sits better, and flipped the clamps below the tube. Also replaced my factory bypass tube with Dayco PN 88354 for a cleaner look. I chopped the barbs to make clearance too.
20200620_174339.jpg

I moved the intake down behind the seat. Like others, the sucking and groaning noise gets old once the windshield is in place.
20200620_174345.jpg

I ordered an Ebay shift knob that wasn't anywhere near the right color, so I need to decide what to do there. My factory one is peeling badly.
20200620_175610.jpg

The powder is fading pretty bad, which is disappointing. It's not something I even thought about. This thing is going to be Barbie pink pretty quick.
20200620_174806.jpg

On an unrelated note, my daily driver has developed a transmission oil leak, so I'm going to change fluid and check level. I've never had a transmission leak before!
20200620_175115.jpg

Oh, and my favorite question to be asked is, "How fast does it go?"

I DUNNO, ABOUT AS FAST AS A COBALT!?

Dsteinhorst

this is what I would want. Looking at pictures of auto cross guys, there’s usually a ft tire lifted. I would figure a little more travel would be nice.
My springs are loose at full extend and I have 1" of shock down travel available(unloaded.) This translates to about 1.5" tire down travel and should be considered the maximum.

Dsteinhorst

An important update for any Wisconsin folks, and for anyone else interested. I was pulled over by a state trooper in a very obviously targeted stop this Tuesday. He was short and succinct. He is having my title pulled. He said there's no way to title 'sand rails' in WI. I attempted to make the argument that it is a replica Lotus 7, but it fell on def ears.

I wrote a letter arguing my case and first sent it to my state senator and representative. I'm firing it off to the Department of Motor Vehicles next. This will be a tough fight. If I 'win' my initial argument, that my Goblin is a replica, an inspection is not required to get a title. Regardless of that, the state will want to inspect, just as they have a 'right' to inspect any vehicle. As far as I can tell, I am short fenders, a parking brake, and a safety glass windshield to be legal. Windshield wiper is a wild card.

State statue 341.268 and Wisconsin Trans 305 are applicable here, if you want some light reading. Many on this forum are familiar with this, but I did not anticipate it from Wisconsin, since the original titling process is simple and straight forward.

I will update as frequently as I can. I am trying to keep optimistic about this, but a large part of me wants to sell and move on.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I understand your frustrations first hand. Texas DMV went through and cleaned house on Manx buggies, exocets, dune buggies and kit cars.

It took three years, thousands of dollars and an attorney to get the law changed so we can start registering again.

The DMV never gave us a good reason for stealing everyone's titles. They took titles from people who had Manx buggies passed down through there families for more than thirty years, which turned their valuable collector to a pile of parts.

I don't understand how we can pay taxes for the roads and then someone who has no interest in kit cars can decide that they don't like them so they have the power to not allow us to drive then on the roads we pay for. Our DMV told us that it was not a safety concern but that they feel that federal government doesn't allow them in Texas.

I hope things work out for you.

I would do the Montana registration and make sure every chance you get drive back and forth in front of that cop.

Sorry for the rant.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
So Lonny and Adam, will this mean that the DF paperwork will now indicate the Goblin is a Lotus 7 replica - maybe a 'Goblin 7'?
you know, it could all be in the wording on the build sheet, to make it happen correctly. That’s how them lawyers speak. Just like you don’t shoot to kill, you shot to “stop”

gofast

An important update for any Wisconsin folks, and for anyone else interested. I was pulled over by a state trooper in a very obviously targeted stop this Tuesday. He was short and succinct. He is having my title pulled. He said there's no way to title 'sand rails' in WI. I attempted to make the argument that it is a replica Lotus 7, but it fell on def ears.

I wrote a letter arguing my case and first sent it to my state senator and representative. I'm firing it off to the Department of Motor Vehicles next. This will be a tough fight. If I 'win' my initial argument, that my Goblin is a replica, an inspection is not required to get a title. Regardless of that, the state will want to inspect, just as they have a 'right' to inspect any vehicle. As far as I can tell, I am short fenders, a parking brake, and a safety glass windshield to be legal. Windshield wiper is a wild card.

State statue 341.268 and Wisconsin Trans 305 are applicable here, if you want some light reading. Many on this forum are familiar with this, but I did not anticipate it from Wisconsin, since the original titling process is simple and straight forward.

I will update as frequently as I can. I am trying to keep optimistic about this, but a large part of me wants to sell and move on.

gofast

I asked Adam to include Lotus 7 replica" on my MCO. He said he would do that. I later mentioned that for conformity, perhaps all Wisconsin MCOs should say Lotus 7 replica. He said he would likely add that to all MCOs. Did that get included on your MCO?. I'm planning on a body, fenders, windshield and parking brakes for my build. Are you sensing that would change things? I'm obviously concerned. Let me know if I can help.

Dsteinhorst

I asked Adam to include Lotus 7 replica" on my MCO. He said he would do that. I later mentioned that for conformity, perhaps all Wisconsin MCOs should say Lotus 7 replica. He said he would likely add that to all MCOs. Did that get included on your MCO?. I'm planning on a body, fenders, windshield and parking brakes for my build. Are you sensing that would change things? I'm obviously concerned. Let me know if I can help.
Yes, my MCO states lotus replica. At this time, no one but that single officer has weighed in on my car. I will post the letter when I get it.

Until then, the I still consider everyone else with a Goblin in WI legal. This was a specific sting operation on me, not on a larger group.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, in today's political climate you could claim police harassment and likely get some positive response out of his superiors...and maybe he would go back to Illinois! :p:cool:

Dsteinhorst

It's been a long time since I've posted an update. I had a great 2021 season. Put on about 3000 miles and a handful of autocrosses. Swapped out tires for Azenis RT660s early in the year and gained a lot of grip.

I store my Goblin in the corner of my garage for winter, so it's been there since December. It largely goes untouched in the off-season, until recently.
20220227_105150.jpg

I bought the supercharger parts off Fellow Goblin owner Nate and I'm getting close to completing the install. I hope to do a deeper dive soon, but for now, it's a quick update.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Did you figure out how you're running your intake tube? I have a few ideas, but I'm curious if you solved it already.

Dsteinhorst

I was going to chop up my existing one, but Nate gave me the DF tube with everything else.

You could cut just the MAF section off and use a 45 degree coupler.
20220408_170228.jpg

Dsteinhorst

I just got my Goblin back from the tuner today. 250 WHP!
PXL_20220426_213134899.jpg

*The AFR wasn't scaled right on the graph. My wideband confirms it's about 12:1

I have a couple things to clean up like a throttle hang and enrichment threshold, but it's running pretty good. Pulls hard! There's no longer the 60MPH brick wall from wind resistance.

He said MAP sensor wasn't an issue at all. I probably will go to a TMAP anyways though, so I can sense actual IAT. Keeping it on my list.

Dsteinhorst

After fixing a vac leak and swapping to a 2.5 bar tmap, my tune was quite a bit off. After finding some odd parts in the original tune, I decided to learn and do it myself. I found Goat Rope Garage on YouTube and did MAF tuning then VE tuning. It's running a ton better now. Spark tuning is next.

I'm considering a color change over the next off-season, because mine has faded badly. It would allow me to clean up a lot of little wiring items that are buried as well.