Towerdog's Indiana Street Goblin Build (#250) 07 SS/SC Donor

RITDR

Not a post I was hoping to have to make, but Towerdog’s clutch leak still is not fixed. I’ve had the same small leak happening that he had previously discussed (at length), and it’s finally time to get this resolved once and for all!

When I bought the car we were under the impression that the clutch leak had been fixed and that the rear main had a small leak. I knew what that meant, and was ok with it. But, it turns out that it is still brake fluid that is leaking from the clutch line. When I first got the car the fresh engine oil looked too similar in color to the brake fluid, so it was difficult to identify. I tried UV light, but both fluid were glowing, so that didn’t help.

I do not have space in my garage right now to pull the trans myself, so I brought it to Category V Port Works, which is close by. Josh (owner) is VERY knowledgeable with the Ecotecs, and would be able to tackle this much easier than I can. Yesterday he found that it is indeed still brake fluid that is leaking. Good news is it’s not the rear main, bad news is we are back to fighting a leak in the clutch lines.

I’ll post a follow-up when he gets it sorted out, and hopefully we find something that will help someone else in the future!

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
At this point, if I was you since you were expecting to drop the trans anyways for the rear main, I'd drop the trans, replace the throwout, clutch pipe, and clutch elbow with all new pieces. Inspect the throw out bearing to see if it was hyper extended and maybe add the spacer piece from ZZP to prevent it. Then reassemble and see if it still leaks. If it does, then I'd replace the section of hardline for the clutch elbow and see if that fixes it.

Sorry you're still fighting this issue. Never fun having to chase down leaks. I'm fighting a coolant leak and thinking I might need to pull my head and replace the brand new gasket.

RITDR

At this point, if I was you since you were expecting to drop the trans anyways for the rear main, I'd drop the trans, replace the throwout, clutch pipe, and clutch elbow with all new pieces. Inspect the throw out bearing to see if it was hyper extended and maybe add the spacer piece from ZZP to prevent it. Then reassemble and see if it still leaks. If it does, then I'd replace the section of hardline for the clutch elbow and see if that fixes it.

Sorry you're still fighting this issue. Never fun having to chase down leaks. I'm fighting a coolant leak and thinking I might need to pull my head and replace the brand new gasket.
Thanks for the reply.
The trans came out yesterday. All of the clutch line parts had already been replaced, but I did get a new clutch pipe since we were already going to be in there.
The throw had been measured and the spacer had been changed out previously by Towerdog, so I’m pretty sure it has the correct one.
Still working though it…

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If nothing else drop the motor & Trans, separate the trans, figure out a way to restrain the throwout bearing from over extending, reinstall the trans without the motor, pressurize the system with a motive style pressure bleeder and look for the leak.

RITDR

I think the oil leak mystery has finally been solved!
(Well… partially. Lol)

When the trans was pulled all of the residual fluid was cleaned up and everything appeared to be in good shape in the trans. I had a new clutch pipe, so that was installed. Throw out bearing travel was measured and the spacer that was being used was removed, as the travel was good without it.

Everything was put back together and the only real “issue” that was found was that the coolant hose that comes off the drivers side of the engine was resting on the clutch line. It was suspected that this could have been putting some downward pressure on the line and could be causing a small amount of fluid to leak at the connection point on top of the trans.

Initial short drives showed no leaks, but after about 3-4 hrs of driving the leak came back. Started dime sized, then ended up being quarter-sized puddles again after normal drives.
To shorten the story, a lot of checking and investigation went into figuring out what fluid was actually leaking, and I finally narrowed it down to being gear oil from the trans itself.

I purchased a brand new G85 trans w/lsd and had that installed last week. Since then, no new leaks! Glad to finally have that fixed!

The next challenge will be to figure out why the trans is actually leaking. I have refilled it, and over the last week there is no fluid showing up anywhere. The guess is that there is a hairline leak somewhere inside the bell housing that is allowing a small amount of oil to leak out when the trans gets up to temp.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Good news for no more leaks. :D
BTW, we're did you purchase the new F35 (G85) transmission - with LSD? I'm sure others on the forum may be curious.

RITDR

Good news for no more leaks. :D
BTW, we're did you purchase the new F35 (G85) transmission - with LSD? I'm sure others on the forum may be curious.
Yep, actually got a brand new one, still boxed and on the crate! I got lucky and got some inside info on this one being available. (It was the last one he had)

There are still a few new non-LSD available though.

Last edited:

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Just finished up my custom exhaust this week!
That looks awesome unfortuntely now that I am turbo I have to rebuild my exhaust or stick with this 90 degree pipe that is super loud. Is this your first time welding the welds look great.

RITDR

That looks awesome unfortuntely now that I am turbo I have to rebuild my exhaust or stick with this 90 degree pipe that is super loud. Is this your first time welding the welds look great.
I cut and fit everything, and had a local shop tack weld it for me to test-fit, then took it back to them to finish all of the welds.