Towerdog's Indiana Street Goblin Build (#250) 07 SS/SC Donor

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Can anyone share how the hood mounts in the front? Pics?
I see there are quarter turn fasteners welded in up there but the hood is cut to miss them and there are holes drilled in the bottom of the hood like there is a mount plate that would go there but I have nothing of the kind....
No pic for you at the moment but you're correct, there's a mount plate with two DZUS connectors and five rivets that come bagged as part of the kit. If you're missing that baggie, you'll need to contact [email protected].

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Can anyone share how the hood mounts in the front? Pics?
I see there are quarter turn fasteners welded in up there but the hood is cut to miss them and there are holes drilled in the bottom of the hood like there is a mount plate that would go there but I have nothing of the kind....
Yes. There’s a mounting plate that is riveted to the bottom side of the hood with the quick turn fasteners. The mount side of those fasteners are on the radiator sub frame.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Where did you get your grill material?
Got it on Amazon. Its a little bit thicker than what others have used, but I like it. Being plastic, it’s still light too. You can make 3 from the one sheet. Room for oppspies.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
So Logic would tell me that to get the heat exchanger fan to work so it is not blowing out the NACA duct is to flip the blade and run the motor in reverse..... Correct?

Edit: I tested this theory with a battery. The blades are not flat they are curved like an airfoil just running motor in reverse will change the direction of flow but it is very week flow due to the blades being curved.

Last edited:

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
If you flip the blades AND reverse the direction of the motor, it’ll still blow out the NACA ducts. If you flip the blades OR reverse the motor direction, then it will stop blowing through the NACA duct

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
So someone had asked about cutting wheel studs down... I had ordered this tool for that purpose but didnt want to say anything until I tested it, and man does it work great!

20210226_181225.jpg
20210226_181145.jpg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
So Logic would tell me that to get the heat exchanger fan to work so it is not blowing out the NACA duct is to flip the blade and run the motor in reverse..... Correct?

Edit: I tested this theory with a battery. The blades are not flat they are curved like an airfoil just running motor in reverse will change the direction of flow but it is very week flow due to the blades being curved.
I bought a spal pusher fan To direct the air correctly. I also used a Spal on the rad too. Much more powerful than the DF supplied fans.

spal 12” puller fan radiator SPA30101522
Spal 7.5” pusher fan for IC rad SPU-IX-30100393

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
So build update, I have been cutting and welding on my frame for the past two days, License plate mount added, Cut off the tail light tabs, Fabed some seat mounts, Have more weldments ordered for bolting on the side panels. Going to add the bars in the halo for something to grab onto
I bought a spal pusher fan To direct the air correctly. I also used a Spal on the rad too. Much more powerful than the DF supplied fans.

spal 12” puller fan radiator SPA30101522
Spal 7.5” pusher fan for IC rad SPU-IX-30100393
wonder why DF wouldn't have put a pusher in for the HE.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We either use a fan or a duct kit. If we use a duct kit we move air in from the top out of the bottom.
If we use a fan we pull cool air from under the car. A pusher would pull hot air from the radiator and heat the heat exchanger.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Not sure. Technically, pullers pull more than pushers. To be honest, its probably “enough” to get by for those running basically stock on normal road conditions. The duct stuff for the ic didn’t come about till later and most don’t do a fan on the ic when they have the ducts. I think jbintx was the first to add a pusher to the ic with the ducts.

My theory (and just my own thinking) is to pull the air through the engine rad, direct it under the car via pusher on the ic, then push it out. So a pull on the main rad, then push on the ic rad should work great. I know the rad will heat the air before getting it to the ic rad, but I think of it as overall airflow and speed to get it in and out as easily as possible. Again, my own theory

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
On a fan, if you flip the blade over it does not move air in the other direction. It just makes the fan less efficient.
Fan blades have a leading edge and trailing edge. If you want to make a fan a pusher you will need to reverse the polarity and flip the fan blade so that the leading edge hits the air first.