Trans fluid

Kenny123

I was doing research since I am at the point to fill my 2008 SS TC manual Trans up. All the research I've done says ONLY use 75w85 gear oil... has anyone had any luck with anything else. I am looking all over and no one has that. I found 75w90 but just want to put feelers out and see what everyone has used.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I used redline MT90, pretty much like everyone else.

Kenny123

I used redline MT90, pretty much like everyone else.

How much does the trans take? How many bottles did you buy?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
F35 takes 1.8 bottles
F40 takes 2.8 bottles

I bought 3 just in case I needed extra later down the road.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I also made a tool to pull the drain plug.

Post 12

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I read that you should only use a specific GM trans fluid, not redline or royal purple. Your mileage may vary, though. I don't think it's as dramatic as the cobalt folks portrayed but I followed their advice.

I got two of these 75x85 P# 10-4104 from Amazon for my 09 SS/TC.
That’s what I did out of fear. Ordered from the GM dealer and got it the next day. Wasn’t even that expensive. It’s been updated a few times also.

Goblin Graber

I run MT-90 redline in all my Harley’s and have for years. Way smoother shifts and easier to find neutral. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in this application.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
TBF, I think of lot of the "You may ONLY use X, Y, or Z" has more to do with liability than anything else. Oh, sorry, you didn't run the right oil in your trans so the warranty won't cover it.... /removes tinfoil hat....

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
TBF, I think of lot of the "You may ONLY use X, Y, or Z" has more to do with liability than anything else. Oh, sorry, you didn't run the right oil in your trans so the warranty won't cover it.... /removes tinfoil hat....
Is true. You just never know for sure.

On a side note, there is a huge issue with the GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado right now for shuddering in the transmission. GM is struggling with fixing it and has changed the type of transmission fluid used multiple times. Just thought that was interesting and even the manufacturers aren’t always sure.

I wonder what it is about the Redline that helps with shifting. Is it lighter?

Goblin Graber

To me it acts like a thicker oil. It maintains a really good film strength on the parts. My Roadking tranny was getting sloppy and almost impossible to find neutral at a stop. All the oil would run off the shift drum and down into the trans. Redline completely fixed it.

Have you ever spun the gears on a Lucas oil stabilizer display at a NAPA? It’s like that to me.

Last edited:

WYGoblin

For some reason I keep thinking that ppl say not do use anything but gm oil has something to do with friction additives in the oil that messes with the sycros. I can't remember exactly what it does or doesn't do though

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I also read & confirmed with Lonny at DF that Dexron VI is now the replacement for Dextron III. Lot's of misinformation on the web about Dexron VI. Dexron VI is backwards compatible !!!

Kenny123

I ordered 3 bottles of redline mt 90 fluid from ZZP. They haven't steered me wrong yet and I've bought TONS from them at this point. Hah. I'll let you all know what I think HOPEFULLY this week as my goal is a 1st drive around my neighborhood.