Transaxle Angle Help

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I really haven’t paid attention to mine but final suspension setup should have the control arms level. What guide did you use to setup the coilovers? What springs did you use?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
This is what I used for initial setup

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Hard to tell from your picture but I’m not sure if you have the top mount put together correctly. It looks like a lot of angle on the top spring perch.

I just measured mine and I have about 13.5 from very bottom of the coilover to the top of the threaded portion and the spring bottom is about 3.5”-4” from the top of the lower mounting body,

Attachments

Adam in CLE

I have the 400 lb springs in the front and 300 in the rear. With the spring seat all the way at the bottom or not installed the half shaft is still elevated as you see in the pic. The bottom of the spring is 4 in from the bottom of the threads per Adam at DF.

Adam in CLE

The only thing I can think of is what connects to the bottom of the knuckle as you can see mine are pitched up. Can someone take a look at theirs and see if they are flat or parallel to the ground? The control arms I used were off and 09 SS Turbo. They appear to be factory.

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The cv joints are supposed to angle up. That isn’t that unusual, although the goblin might be a little more than usual. Although I don’t really know if the control arms were setting level on the Cobalt. They make offset diff bushings for my Camaro since the angle points up even more if you lower the car and causes problems if it’s lowered to much.

Dale E

First, I am not a Goblin builder, so just some thoughts. @ JBINTX - Unscrew your shock to make it longer. Your ride height is wrong. The angle of the ball joint seems okay on the LCA. Take a level or carpenters square and measure from your front LCA to subframe attaching point to the ball joint -- try to get that level (or at least eyeball it). Loosen your spring perch, so you have no preload on the spring (it will spin freely and should be loose), then tighten the perch so the spring has no up/down movement (it may still spin with some resistance.) Tighten your perch one one to two more turns. See where you are compared to where you are now! Make fine tune adjustments.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
First, I am not a Goblin builder, so just some thoughts. @ JBINTX - Unscrew your shock to make it longer. Your ride height is wrong. The angle of the ball joint seems okay on the LCA. Take a level or carpenters square and measure from your front LCA to subframe attaching point to the ball joint -- try to get that level (or at least eyeball it). Loosen your spring perch, so you have no preload on the spring (it will spin freely and should be loose), then tighten the perch so the spring has no up/down movement (it may still spin with some resistance.) Tighten your perch one one to two more turns. See where you are compared to where you are now! Make fine tune adjustments.
Or unscrew the coilover body until it’s about 13.5” from the bottom mounting body to the top of the threads of the coilover.

Adam in CLE

Thanks all for the insight. I'm thinking the issue is sprung weight on the control arm mounting as both sides looked as they do now with nothing else attached to them. I am also thinking the subframe could be bent or just off a bit. I have seen on some Goblins the rack holding the tie rod are perfectly parallel and mine aren't. See pic. @Lonny do you have any ideas or thoughts?
20220724_200310.jpg

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Are you asking about the toe rod being squared with the car and straight in line with the DF replacement for the rack? It runs at an angle.

Attachments

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
you problem is 100% the shock portion of your coilover threaded too far into the the lower mount. You are not the first to do this. If you look at the bottom of the coilover it should have about 4.5 to 5 inches of open space. Go to the post gstorey linked and follow the setup.

Attachments

Adam in CLE

you problem is 100% the shock portion of your coilover threaded too far into the the lower mount. You are not the first to do this. If you look at the bottom of the coilover it should have about 4.5 to 5 inches of open space. Go to the post gstorey linked and follow the setup.
That makes sense. If someone else said that, sorry I didn't get what was being stated. That part I didn't adjust. I installed as it was sent to me with the only adjustment being raising the bottom of the spring 4 inches up.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Don't worry your not the first and probably not the last, some of the information is hard to find especially as the forum grows larger. Chubbs had the same problem as you linked here.

Adam in CLE

Ok, so I officially give up. Nothing like working on the car for 7 hours (I have a great/understanding wife and kids) and getting 2 hours worth of work done. I have backed everything off and was able to get 4.5" of the shock raised. However, the measurements that were in Chad's post I wasn't able to accomplish. I loosen here and tighten there and it all goes wrong. I think to save my sanity and not throw this car away, if someone has seen a write up or can do one with step by step on the rear suspension, it would be helpful. If it included statements to make this easier such as use a jack on this part but not that, each side of the rear end could be done right the first time and quicker. Not trying to be Debbie downer just frustrated and don't know where to go next. I appreciate the help from the forum as and would have made 1k more mistakes that I already have. Thank you all!!!!!!