TravMac's Extended Track Goblin (#253) - 2007 SS/SC Doner

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Well tomorrow is the big day for the VIN on the car. Getting a bit nervous that they won't love something that they see, but seems like Michigan folks have been doing pretty well so far. I took off the front wing so that at least looks more the part. Just sitting in my garage waiting now... Any last second suggestions to make things go smoothly for anyone that's done it?
Tbh I would have kept the "front bumper" (wing lol) because dune buggies definitely don't have front wings. Tbh its all a crap shoot depending on who you get. I over prepared and others have skipped stuff and we all got in one way or another. Just roll with the punches.

Also a thin blue line sticker on the car might not hurt, regardless of your views on it lol

TravMac

Tbh I would have kept the "front bumper" (wing lol) because dune buggies definitely don't have front wings. Tbh its all a crap shoot depending on who you get. I over prepared and others have skipped stuff and we all got in one way or another. Just roll with the punches.

Also a thin blue line sticker on the car might not hurt, regardless of your views on it lol
Is it actually a cop for the sticker portion of it? I thought it was just a state person who came out with the VIN. I'm worried about the headlights and windshield, but I do have some better parts if they really press the issue. I basically have calm arguments for everything, but going to try and point out the good things I did instead!

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Is it actually a cop for the sticker portion of it? I thought it was just a state person who came out with the VIN. I'm worried about the headlights and windshield, but I do have some better parts if they really press the issue. I basically have calm arguments for everything, but going to try and point out the good things I did instead!
No you're right. Just a state employee. I misread lol

Mahkoi

I just had the police inspector not the state inspector but both times the cops looked at it they checked for mainly bumpers and windshield stuff. They wouldn't pass me the first time so I had to make some bumpers and buy cheap a cheap wiper and washer set up from Amazon. During the second inspection when I actually passed the officer said "that's not safety glass. Is that windshield plexiglass? " I said "nope, it's better. It's polycarbonate" he was good with that and signed me off. Both times the cops made sure to check that my high beam indicator worked and I had to show them the DOT stamp on my tires because they weren't convinced that they were street tires. Best of luck tomorrow.

TravMac

I GOT MY VIN!

In all my nerves and panic this morning double checking things and talking with this state guy, I never even got his name... but I think he inspected a few in Michigan so far (@Ghostknife I think he said he did yours!). Overall looked over what was there, listened to my story of all the little things I did, and put on my sticker. Now wait for a week for my title, and get myself a plate! Any suggestions?? I have some ideas... but it's always fun to see what folks think. Also think I'm going to call the same insurance folks people seem to use around here. Hopefully they don't mind all the business! If anyone else had suggestions I'm open to those as well.

Thanks again to everyone for the input too over getting to this point. Only a few more steps and I'll have it out and about!

ccgillett

I GOT MY VIN!

In all my nerves and panic this morning double checking things and talking with this state guy, I never even got his name... but I think he inspected a few in Michigan so far (@Ghostknife I think he said he did yours!). Overall looked over what was there, listened to my story of all the little things I did, and put on my sticker. Now wait for a week for my title, and get myself a plate! Any suggestions?? I have some ideas... but it's always fun to see what folks think. Also think I'm going to call the same insurance folks people seem to use around here. Hopefully they don't mind all the business! If anyone else had suggestions I'm open to those as well.

Thanks again to everyone for the input too over getting to this point. Only a few more steps and I'll have it out and about!
Congrats man! I grew up in Michigan, graduated from CMU, lived in Detroit for a few years. I'm in New England now but my parents live in Midland. I'd love to check out your car next time I'm out there.

How about: FSTRNU for a license plate? Or maybe HIOFCR ? :D

TravMac

Congrats man! I grew up in Michigan, graduated from CMU, lived in Detroit for a few years. I'm in New England now but my parents live in Midland. I'd love to check out your car next time I'm out there.

How about: FSTRNU for a license plate? Or maybe HIOFCR ? :D
Of course! I live just north of Detroit myself, but I'm in Midland every weekend I can. As long as I'm not at autocross or something, you can check out the car for sure. Just let me know next time you're around!

The plate ideas are great. I just got the title in the mail, and had a few ideas pop up in talking to some guys at work too. I'm gonna take and put them through that Michigan plate registry thing to see what's available (or acceptable ha!).

TravMac

Well I wanted my custom plate decision to be a sort of reveal, but hit a wall instead. Apparently the secretary of state flagged the planned "SS KIT" as potentially inappropriate. As for the reason, they didn't explain in any detail. In my only stretch of the imagination, it probably has some semblance for the historical significance of SS. So they give nice paperwork to document my reason for request and provide backup plans instead. Maybe "SC KIT" would be a bit more reasonable. Soon we will see!

Also, got the shifter kit update for the car too in black. Should look great! Although, not sure when I'll strip things down for the install. The OTTP shifter is still working great for now. I think I measured a thread pitch of 1/2-20 on the new handle too. I would love to adapt the homemade knob I made in school for my mustang, but it may be a bit heavy. Going to keep thinking on this one.

For now the weather is getting nicer. Going to get this dusted off and ready for running around the streets!

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Well I wanted my custom plate decision to be a sort of reveal, but hit a wall instead. Apparently the secretary of state flagged the planned "SS KIT" as potentially inappropriate. As for the reason, they didn't explain in any detail. In my only stretch of the imagination, it probably has some semblance for the historical significance of SS. So they give nice paperwork to document my reason for request and provide backup plans instead. Maybe "SC KIT" would be a bit more reasonable.
How about MEINCAR (because its your car) or MASTRACR (because you're a good driver and you're going to win lots of autocross races with it).
its a joke calm down

TravMac

Alright, the new attempts are in the mail! Going with E85LSJ, E85KIT, and SC KIT as my backups. Hopefully plate soon, and then some beauty shots for the "finished goblin" thread!

TravMac

And just like that (many weeks later) it's ready to hit the road! Time for some good pictures in "street" trim tonight, and a rip around the block to find some E85 stations. Going to have to pull my front wing mounts too - they hang just a bit too low and scrape in the driveway. Hopefully the rest of the car is high enough for the Michigan potholes. Thinking I could use a rear view mirror and some sort of storage for the insurance and registration too. If anyone has a good spot they use other than their pocket, I'd like to hear it!

PXL_20230525_220633607.jpg

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
And just like that (many weeks later) it's ready to hit the road! Time for some good pictures in "street" trim tonight, and a rip around the block to find some E85 stations. Going to have to pull my front wing mounts too - they hang just a bit too low and scrape in the driveway. Hopefully the rest of the car is high enough for the Michigan potholes. Thinking I could use a rear view mirror and some sort of storage for the insurance and registration too. If anyone has a good spot they use other than their pocket, I'd like to hear it!

View attachment 40645
The potholes are easy to see sitting as low as we do. It’s kind of a game to dodge them

Mahkoi

The random chunks of concrete that come out of the big potholes scare more more than the potholes do.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
It's too low for Alabama potholes, so those monster up in south Canada are going to be nasty. I tried a rear view mirror and did not like it's placement. It hung from the front halo hoop and really didn't do anything. As for storage, I just have a waterproof bag I put everything in and have behind the passenger seat. I'd like something more, just hadn't figured it out.