Trouble Taking Out Donor Front Suspension

KingChuck24

Hello everyone,

Been working today and just got stuck at the part where the sway bar end link needs to be detached from the suspension as well as the top mount for the strut also being taken off. Both have the a similar issue where when I try to spin the nut that is attached to the bolt, the bolt spins with it. I was wondering what others did to mitigate this issue. Also if I get really mad could I just cut the sway bar end link or would I have to buy a new one? Same thing goes for the front suspension, what things do I need from it and if I did cut it out what would I need to buy?

Thanks!

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not everyone runs sway bars on their Goblin. You won't need the rear Cobalt sway bar at all. You can run the front Cobalt sway bar in the rear of the Goblin. The Sway bar links are pretty cheap on RockAuto and I think you need the SS links anyway since they are shorter.

If you are planning on using the Cobalt struts instead of the coilover option, then you need to save those. I think that is the only suspension pieces that are reused (plus possibly the front swaybar).

You need to update your signature with your donor info.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Few people run the sway bar at all. You could always take a sawzall to the bolts and just cut them free if needed. Also, don't under estimate the power of vice grips on the head and a torch on the nut to break the rust and corrosion free.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I had one aftermarket sway bar endlink on my donor that took a hex key in the end of the bolt, so the nut had to come off with a wrench and not a socket. But barring something like that, I'd imagine vice grips are the next best option. I hit mine with some penetrating oil as well to help. A bit of heat can loosen things up too. When it comes down to it, if you're not reusing the sway bar, it can be removed destructively.

Also, mod your signature here.