Turbo Goblin Intercooling and IAT2 Temps

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Wanted to start a thread that more directly addresses this. Not too many turbo cars out there yet but it warrants discussion. I’m trying to get some data together and determine how efficient the liquid to air coolers are with varying amounts of tune, and different heat exchanger configurations as there have been a lot of great ideas coming up so far.

Please post / discuss your IAT2 temps or data logs if you have any.

Please share what intercooling or HE modifications you have done or planned, and improvements you’ve seen as a result.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm willing to share my HPT Scanner files with anybody interested. I'm also willing to share screenshots, but I'm not sure how valuable they'll be due to the way VCM Scanner presents the chart data. It only actively shows 1 minute at a time.

I wish there were a way to pull the data out and put it into something like Excel. However, the HPL file format appears to be proprietary.

Nilbog

Hptuners really? Back 10 years ago that was how i tuned real time. Pulling HPT data into excel as .CSV, then writing it right back into the tune and uploading as i drove. Have they changed access or output types? Need to get the nilbog up and running to starting using HPT again. :(

Oh man thats going to infuriate me if i cant scan into a CSV file.

Nilbog

Interesting. Not fun but i'll figure something out when i get up and running. Used to run 20+ minutes runs with scanner to update SD tunes without a MAF. Yuck

Nilbog

I have a few auto-excel files for scanning right back into most main parameters (Start up, WOT wideband, MAP vs etc... cant remember them all) but i'll need to get the ol laptop up and hopefully running to find that file. LIkely i'll use it again.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I attached a zip file that contains both a CSV export and the original HPL file. These numbers are from a stock build with the heat exchanger installed right behind the radiator. I don't have any bodywork installed yet.

Attachments

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Haven’t tapped this thread in a while. This is a bump to see if any recent turbo builds can share their IAT2’s.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I wanted to update this thread. For the past 2000 miles since I got the Goblin on the road, I've been watching the IAT2s like a hawk using both VCM Scanner and an Aeroforce gauge. Until today, all of those miles were using the stock heat exchanger/fan in the stock location behind the radiator with no bodywork installed.

Basically what I was consistently seeing on every drive is my IAT2s would always end up stair stepping to 25-30 degrees above ambient no matter what the actual air temp was. They would spike under boost which was normal, but they would never drop back down to anything close to ambient. Even after several miles of gentle cruising and not getting on the throttle, they'd just sit there about 25 degrees warmer.

Today I installed the custom radiator I had built, and holy f#$k this thing made a world of difference. Now under full boost the temps will spike up to about 25 degrees above ambient and then drop down to ambient in probably 20 seconds or so. No more stair stepping their way up. I can pull in the garage, and both IATs are at identical temps. That has never happened before.

Here are some pictures of my current setup. I now truly believe that moving the stock heat exchanger out from behind the radiator is really the only way to go.

20181220_150340.jpg

20181220_150519.jpg

Brian74

Goblin Guru
That is great news! I had suspected this all along. Thanks for sharing. I doubt you will feel much now in the seat, but after some hard track driving and heat soak in the summer, I bet it would be a noticeable difference.

Could you please provide me with the approximate capacity of your new radiator?

I am debating whether or not to add a 2nd heat exchanger and your capacity would be a good baseline for me to shoot for.

Also are you running 1/2” tubing or 3/4”?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I don't know what the coolant capacity of the radiator by itself is unfortunately. The entire system holds around 1 gallon.

I'm using 3/4" hose and fittings all the way around.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
This is what I’ve leaned so far...

There are two issues.

1. Heat soak. It is the result of an inefficient intake boost air cooling system, where the heat transfer conductively heats the cooling system to a point where it can no longer keep up.

2. Efficiency. The more efficient the intake charge cooling system, the quicker it will reduce the charge temperature back to ambient after high boost.

Under no circumstances will you ever be able to cool your intake air charge below ambient unless you are adding artificial means (spray, ice, chiller ect).

Liquid to air systems can be more efficient than air because the heat transfer capability of liquid is significantly better, and liquid can be fan cooled under low speed /idle or in cases where there is little or no airflow.

The ultimate goal of an efficient air charge cooling system is to maintain a temperature as close to ambient and as often and quickly as possible.

Based on Brian1177’s results, I just ordered this big bastard of a heat exchanger. I will have to move my fuek tank 2” to the right to make it fit, but I think it will operate on nearly the same efficiency. It holds 47 oz. of fluid. It will arrive on 3 March and I will fully bench test it with results the following weekend.

D3D399AA-C295-4F1E-AEA6-251131695C39.png

Last edited: