Turbo Goblin New York.

nicholas tiratsuyan

Hi all.
We picked up our frame and parts back in June of 2018. It is now November of 2018 and we are almost done. Waiting for emergency brake and windshield to get Goblin registered in New York.
Pictures on the forum helped a lot throughout our build. Here are some pictures from our build, hopefully it helps others.
h ttps://imgur.com/a/ZL9UrXq (copy and paste it into google without the space in the beginning. For some reason when I put it as a link it opens up an imgur app that doesnt work)
Have Fun.

Last edited:

nicholas tiratsuyan

Some of the changes we made to the standard build include:
-adding interior leather trim (seats, center console, visors, padded dash, center tunnel padding, new shifter boot, cup holders, handbrake and boot, carpeting/floor mats)
-rerouting the intake
-we needed bumpers for NYS registration
-lighting (interior and exterior)

Last edited:

nicholas tiratsuyan

The for NYS registration a padded dashboard is required. We started out with a wood template and cut out holes as needed.

10-19-2018 539.JPG

We wanted to go with the black and red theme so we found some black vinyl leather and stitched up a cover for the wood. We embroidered found some goblin clip art and embroidered a logo on the passenger's side

10-19-2018 585.JPG

The shift boot is made of the same vinyl leather with the embroidered the turbo goblin logo.

10-19-2018 587.JPG

We built a center console in front of the shifter which includes a USB port, a cigarette lighter socket, and 6 switches. The switches are for lights, radio power and accessories we are planning on adding (heated seats, wipers). There is also a kill switch for the battery which will help for the winter.

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

For NYS registration a handbrake is required for inspection. Adam and Lonnie were able to use the handbrake lever and cables from the cobalt with different brake calipers for the rear. We could have just bolted it down onto the center tunnel but we did not want to risk hitting a coolant line for the turbo or any wiring. We cut out the center console handbrake mounting plate and used it as a base for our handbrake lever.

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG

We welded a frame for the cup holders from the cobalt's interior and wrapped the entire thing in leather.

IMG_0637.JPG

(you can see the weld we did on top)

IMG_0646.JPG

Reactions: GAB

nicholas tiratsuyan

The seats were reupholstered with real "Ferrari Red" leather. We figured since we were gonna sit on the seats it would need to be tough and the vinyl would wear easy.

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

The NYS requires padded visors so we used some of the vinyl and wrapped some utv visors that clamp on to the tubing. Even with the embroidered logo I still think it does fit the car and will not stay there for long after inspection.

We put in carpeting with floor mats to hopefully decrease any vibrations. The floor mats are generic floor mats, cut to size, that have the same real leather trim on the outside as the seats.

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

You can also see the motorcycle speakers underneath the dash in the picture above. My dad wasn't to happy about the sound quality so he got a slim sub woofer and we mounted it behind the kickplate.

IMG_0664.JPG

Overall I think our interior came out really nice and, in my opinion, is the best goblin interior I've seen. If I'm going to spend time driving the car I want to enjoy being inside it because getting out is not that easy ;).

nicholas tiratsuyan

When we were routing the intake, we did not feel comfortable with the way the it was supposed to be run. It originally rubbed against the spring but we were able to get it to where it just barely cleared it.

10-19-2018 016.JPG

10-19-2018 015.JPG

10-19-2018 014.JPG

It would have probably rubbed if we were to drive it so we decided to route it over and around behind the fuse box. It ended up being very close to the hot exhaust and turbo so we made a box and put heat reflective tape on it to keep as much heat awake from the intake as possible.

10-19-2018 523.JPG

(Before the box)^^

20181111_214728.jpg

20181111_214734.jpg

nicholas tiratsuyan

NYS requires the car to have bumpers and side marker lights as well as front parking lights and blinkers. We didnt think the blinkers and parking lights on the mirrors would be enough so we added our own front lights and just used the ones on the mirrors as extra lights. Along with these we decided to add our own light which i also have on my jeep.

The front and rear bumpers we got from Adam and Lonnie and I think they look pretty nice.
10-19-2018 522.JPG

10-19-2018 533.JPG

(You can see the front parking/signal lights on the front)

The side lights came with grommets so we were able to use a stepper drill and fit the front side lights snugly in the hood. The rear side lights actually went in a hole on the frame near the back. I don't know what it was meant for but with some shaving and forceful encouragement the fit very nicely in their permanent home. They wont come out even if we wanted them to :). We were thinking about putting them in the fenders but running wires wont last too long. We will most likely end up putting reflective tape on the fenders just so other drivers can tell how wide the car is.

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

You can also see the jeep lights on top of the bar. We routed the wired through the piping to the back of the center console. They aren't very bright but they do look nice.

The interior lights originally came from a light strip. The cold cracked the light and broke it at any bends so we could not use the strip as foot lighting. It is used as the lighting over the center console. The foot lighting is actually two of the license plate lights attached to the bar behind the dash. As long as the remaining light strip doesn't crack I think it will be useful at night.

Nilbog

What'd you pay for the front bumper if you dont mind me asking? I am looking at solutions now.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I dig the parking brake mount. I will need to do something similar to raise it up over the shifter cables.

nicholas tiratsuyan

I dig the parking brake mount. I will need to do something similar to raise it up over the shifter cables.
We actually had to do allot of cutting to get the bracket out. It wan't easy to get out and we had to cut it to size but it does fit really well on the cap and will mount pretty easy. We used rivnuts to mount it to part of the frame on the back and we used the threaded seatbelt mounts to get them on the sides.

Balphamore

Very nice work on the interior of the goblin. I like the way you intergrated the hand brake and cup holders. Also the interior lights and center console for the switches.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Did you do your own vinyl wrap on the fenders and hood? Did you have to expand the rear fenders? Around the radiator cut out how did you or the installer add the vinyl multiple cuts?

Your car is killer a lot of work in that build.

nicholas tiratsuyan

Did you do your own vinyl wrap on the fenders and hood? Did you have to expand the rear fenders? Around the radiator cut out how did you or the installer add the vinyl multiple cuts?

Your car is killer a lot of work in that build.
We got it professionally wrapped in Texas. Same people who did all of DF cars. But not very happy with the quality of work they did.
A bump here and there, air pocket or two. Not the best craftsmanship.
If had to do it over, would get it wrapped locally.