Turbo intercooler plumbing

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Make sense to me. I don't think the water temps will ever get much above ambient temperature for street driving. I've seen my IAT2 temps get up to 130+ degrees. Even at that temp, I don't see a gallon of coolant heating up that much after a few seconds of full throttle. It might be a little different on the track, however.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
These pumps will typically operate with 180-210 degree water on the 'hot' side or 120-140 degree water (on a really cold day) on the 'cold' side in an engine cooling system. The intercooler fluid will be in the 120-140 range at most if you run it on the 'hot' side - counter clockwise in the diagram - and would be well within the pump normal temperature range.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
The volume of water does not control the cooling capacity of the system, how well the system cools is directly related to the surface area of the heat exchanger, volume of air moving across the the heat exchanger and temperature of the air.

The OEM supercharger fill tube that Lonnie purchased is a good idea and is also what ZZP replicates using 3/4 heater hose standing straight up with a plug in the top. When we installed the supercharger kit on Adam's first goblin this is what ZZP told us to do and it worked very well. No leaks from expansion. So we used this idea for our systems and have not had any leaks.
I am trying to figure out if this zzp fill port is any different than the GM piece. Either way I am going with a small aftermarket aluminum reservoir. Its big enough to fill and allow self-burping without becoming a conductive heat soak issue.

5BE03BC5-303F-4DFE-995D-FEE85A867627.png
F9AA6792-AE04-4825-A323-FAEC2595FB30.png

JPas914

I am trying to figure out if this zzp fill port is any different than the GM piece. Either way I am going with a small aftermarket aluminum reservoir. Its big enough to fill and allow self-burping without becoming a conductive heat soak issue.

View attachment 19317
That’s the fill neck I used. Worked perfectly. I laid the intercooler on my gas tank with one of the elbow fitting up towards the sky to eliminate air pockets in the intercooler and then filled the system. I honestly don’t remember how much fluid it took. After fluid started building up in the neck, I installed the cap and the ran the intercooler pump a few times and added fluid as needed as air worked out of the system.