Turbo options for 2.2 liter

Ryan_m

I have a 2.2 2010 automatic. Are there other options for the turbo kit besides zzperformance or is that the best one? On the phone they said it would need to be modified a bit to make it

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
RPM Motorsports, Over the Top Performance (OTTP) and Hahn Racecraft all deal in turbos for Cobalt/HHR/Sky platforms. I don't know what they have as kits for 2.2.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I think the first question to ask would be, are you planning on upgrading internals? From what I've read, you can't throw a lot of boost at an LAP engine. If not...

If it were me, I would pick up a stock K04 and exhaust manifold setup including the oil and water lines, thermostat housing, some fuel injectors, the turbo coolant crossover pipe, and the DF A2W intercooler kit. From there you'd be left with piping from the intercooler to your stock throttle body on your stock intake manifold. I've read the 2.4 plastic intake manifolds won't hold a ton of boost, so I assume the same holds for the 2.2 plastic intake manifold, but the rods won't hold a ton of boost either, so that should be fine.

However, not to belittle, but if you're asking what would be needed to make a turbo kit fit, you'll probably also need some help with figuring out what it takes to get the conversion across the finish line. I can offer advice, but I've not done that job before, so you're relying on internet people. In that case, paying more for a kit from people who know what they're doing might be worth it.

The ZZP kit is going to include a number of parts that you won't need or will require some reworking to use, like the bigger A2A intercooler and its associated piping.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You do realize that without upgrading any of the 2.2 engine internals you are limited to 5 PSI boost and about 230 HP (ZZP and RPM MS recommended)? Pushing the non-forged crank, pistons and rods further will end in disappointment and a busted engine. Also note the automatic transmission in the Cobalt is limited to about 240 ft lbs of torque.

I hope your HP and torque expectations for a 2.2 NA auto are not unreasonable. Keep in mind that with the above limitations a Goblin is quicker (and definitely more fun to drive) than 80% of any other car on the road. :D

Ryan_m

You do realize that without upgrading any of the 2.2 engine internals you are limited to 5 PSI boost and about 230 HP (ZZP and RPM MS recommended)? Pushing the non-forged crank, pistons and rods further will end in disappointment and a busted engine. Also note the automatic transmission in the Cobalt is limited to about 240 ft lbs of torque.

I hope your HP and torque expectations for a 2.2 NA auto are not unreasonable. Keep in mind that with the above limitations a Goblin is quicker (and definitely more fun to drive) than 80% of any other car on the road. :D
Im willing to upgrade internals, rods are out of stock on zzp. Where else has rods and internals? Thanks for help

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Others may have different ideas, but this is what I have collected over the years for a DIY turbo kit for my L61. It should get you started. That said, even a NA 2.2L Goblin with an automatic transmission is a lot of fun, regardless of being driven on the street, road course, or autox.

• Stock K04 exhaust manifold and turbo
• Oil and coolant lines
• LNF/LDK/LHU intake manifold
• LNF/LDK/LHU coolant crossover pipe
• Charge air cooler and plumbing (A2A for simplicity)
• Injectors
• Forged rods & pistons
• Fuel management (e.g., HPTuners)
• Wideband sensor/controller

Dsteinhorst

There's several of us that have done a supercharger on the LAP motor. I dynoed 250HP at 10 lbs boost on a 2.9 pulley. It was about $2k all in. I would recommend that route. I'm pretty sure the LAP is stronger than the rumors say.

Ryan_m

There's several of us that have done a supercharger on the LAP motor. I dynoed 250HP at 10 lbs boost on a 2.9 pulley. It was about $2k all in. I would recommend that route. I'm pretty sure the LAP is stronger than the rumors say.
Is yours an automatic?

Tinkles

You do realize that without upgrading any of the 2.2 engine internals you are limited to 5 PSI boost and about 230 HP (ZZP and RPM MS recommended)? Pushing the non-forged crank, pistons and rods further will end in disappointment and a busted engine. Also note the automatic transmission in the Cobalt is limited to about 240 ft lbs of torque
The GM build book lists ~270-280hp as the limit for 2.2s. Many people including myself have not had issues surpassing that number. In the J-body community we have found that stock 2.2L get sketchy around the 290-300hp area. Personally my stock 2.2L in my Cavalier has been holding 17psi and ~290-300whp for years. So as long as the tuning is good, do whatever you want with a M62 or K04 on a stock 2.2L. You should not make enough power to hurt the engine.