Upgraded front brake pads for track use

dastrups

Anyone found an upgraded brake pad that they like? Not that the brakes are lacking. Just curious if anyone has tried something with a little more initial bite like you would get from a track compound.

Last edited:

Lndshrk Steve

Usually you have to heat up track compounds. They have NO initial bite. That is why, on the pace lap, you see cars accelerating and braking. It's to warm up the brakes.

dastrups

Usually you have to heat up track compounds. They have NO initial bite. That is why, on the pace lap, you see cars accelerating and braking. It's to warm up the brakes.
For sure. I was thinking about a street/track compound like they make for motorcycles. Not entirely useless without being really heated up a lot but still compromising in that area to get a little more initial bite.

Tinkles

Hawk Performance sent me Street 5.0 pads for street driving, HP Plus for autocross/light tack use, and DTC-60s for heavy track use/road racing. I told them what I was looking to do with the Goblin and the basic specs of it and that is what they came up with.

dastrups

Fronts

Rears (with solstice rears)

I technically haven't installed them yet so I can't say for sure but I could let you know. I'm planning on doing it this weekend.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I don't have any of the donor brakes on the car, they were all supplied by DF so I'm not entirely sure which calipers I have at this point...
edit: I looked back at a previous pad order and it looks like I'd need to run Hawk HB517 pads which only has 2 options.

Last edited:

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I also had all of my brakes supplied by DF. I have the E-brake option for the rear.
Let me know if those pads fit since the HB517 HPS pads fit in mine so I'm skeptical that the HB524 will fit. I don't have the ebrake option so I have the same brakes on all 4 corners.

dastrups

Oh I see. Hopefully I have the right pad. Maybe I will try and pull them off tonight to see if they are the same. This is the HP+ so maybe that is why they are a different part number.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Oh I see. Hopefully I have the right pad. Maybe I will try and pull them off tonight to see if they are the same. This is the HP+ so maybe that is why they are a different part number.
I don't believe so, it looks like Hawk uses the same base part number (IE HB524) and then changes the second part to denote the pad. I'd really like to run the HP+ since that's what I used on my last track car and they were amazing but I just don't think it's possible. I'm curious to see if others have different calipers though.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Yep you were right. So they only make it in the HPS? No chance of getting a HP+ huh. Dang.
Evidently! It's so hard to tell which calipers we have if they're both from base model Cobalts from around the same time but it looks like G-Loc brakes have some that might work so I might give them a shot. The Hawk HPS pads don't feel any better than the basic Duralasts in my opinion.

dastrups

I see. Let me know if you find anything you like. It would be nice to get some more initial bite. I know on my R1 it had terrible pads from the factory and I tried the EBC epfa pad and it completely changed the brake feel. It would be nice to find something more aggressive.