Using a Saab 9-3 as a donor car...

Mark

I'm sorry if this has been talked about before I'm new to this forum. I'm a dealer in coldspring, tx and I specialize in Saabs. I know the SS and the 9-3 have the same engine so would it work? Also Id really like to use a 9-5 swap if possible... I have several of them. I have no problem modifying wiring harnesses and I have a tuner for the computer.

PHerder

I explored several different models of cars to use as a donor. The reason none other than the Chevy Cobalt and its sister car the Pontiac G5 can be used is how the entire kit is designed. The kit was designed to use the exact parts in the Cobalt/G5 and any differences would require a redesign of the chassis.

As an example, the instrument cluster is the exact same in the Cobalt/G5 but any other vehicle (HHR or your Saab 9-3) is probably different thus a need to change how it is mounted on the kit. Another example is the engine/transmission cradle and suspension. None of these vehicles other than the Cobalt/G5 have been tested to see if they would work.

I looked at the Impala (and the sister cars such as the Pontiac GXP) to see if the FWD 5.3l V8 could be used in the Goblin kit. LOTS of differences (mostly size and electronics) would tend to make that swap a problem.

The reason I looked into the FWD V8 swap was my experience with the Stalker kit. The kit started out with a 2.8/3.4l V6 which was what I built but then the 3.8l V6 was used by later kit builders and then the frame was widen internally to accept the LS models of the Chevy V8. From ~ 140 hp up to 600+ hp in a car that weighed ~ 1500 pounds!

A V8 powered Goblin would be very impressive! :eek:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
A Saab Ecotec I4 drivetrain with a Cobalt donor might work
It almost certainly would. The engine mounts are in the same place but I'm not sure about the trans mounts.

I am looking almost daily for a low mileage 9-3 because the engine and transmission are both quite a lot better than the cobalts. Found a perfect 2007 one nearby with the 6speed trans for $500 but I was 20 minutes too late someone snagged it.

PHerder

This discussion has got me thinking... since the transmission is out in my donor (SS/SC) and the Saab 9-3 Turbo cars use both a 5 speed and a 6 speed I started looking at those transmissions as a possible replacement for my Goblin.

What I do not know is what transmission is the 5 speed? I found that the 6 speed is a F40 but cannot find any info on the 5 speed.

So, Mark, what make/model of 5 speed is used behind (next to?) the 2.0l Turbo 4?

The reason is, I can find more Saab 5 speeds than the Cobalt SS/SC G85.

Of course I will not do anything until I pull the engine/transmission out of the donor and see why I have no connection between the transmission and engine. :eek:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
This discussion has got me thinking... since the transmission is out in my donor (SS/SC) and the Saab 9-3 Turbo cars use both a 5 speed and a 6 speed I started looking at those transmissions as a possible replacement for my Goblin.

What I do not know is what transmission is the 5 speed? I found that the 6 speed is a F40 but cannot find any info on the 5 speed.

So, Mark, what make/model of 5 speed is used behind (next to?) the 2.0l Turbo 4?

The reason is, I can find more Saab 5 speeds than the Cobalt SS/SC G85.

Of course I will not do anything until I pull the engine/transmission out of the donor and see why I have no connection between the transmission and engine. :eek:

The base cobalt uses the Gettrag F23 (230nm) and the Saab and cobalt use the F35 / MU3

PHerder

Thanks! So I have a F35(MU3) with the G85 option (LSD). Any info if the Saab's F35(MU3) got the LSD and if so, what to look for on the Saab's info plates to check for an LSD?

I forgot to check to see how many MU3s without option G85 were available and of course, they are and at comparable prices.

Mark

The 9-3 aero from 03 (sedan only) to 05 is a 4cylinder 6 speed. The 06-09 aero is a 6 speed but its a v6.

Silverback

It seems like the F40 6-speed didn't come with a limited-slip option, but a Quaife LSD could be sourced:

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/saab-gm-f40-quaife-atb-helical-lsd-differential

From what I've read on other forums, differential removal/installation requires some rather expensive tools from GM.

BTW, I installed a Quaife LSD in my old Caterham. It made a big difference in my autoX times and helped garner many a FTD. Getting the G85 option on a Cobalt donor is a huge plus in my book.

Last edited: