Utah Registration

Jungle Gym

Info from the Utah DMV website:
All the components are purchased in a kit similar to a model car (including the frame). The applicant will need to provide to the DMV; this may require more than one visit:

• The "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" (MSO) for all components, listing a 17-digit conforming Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
  • A completed Form TC-569A, Ownership Statement, containing information pertaining to the construction of the vehicle, where or from whom all the components were obtained, and a completed Form TC-656, Application For Utah Title and all original sales receipts.
  • Picture of the completed vehicle or bring the vehicle to a DMV office for a visual inspection.
  • Safety and emission test certification.
The vehicle must be inspected by a peace officer or by the DMV-CSR prior to titling. On the title, the make of the vehicle will reflect the make on the MSO, year will be the year of completion and the model will be "replica." The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) listed on Form TC-656, Application For Utah Title will be the number on the chassis MSO, if that number is a 17-digit conforming number issued by the manufacturer.
Here's the scoop on required equipment for passenger vehicles.

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r714/r714-160.htm

My only question is about the windshield. Here in Utah, you can drive ATV/UTVs and side by sides on the street as long as they have lights and a horn and DOT tires. If they don't have a windshield, you need eye protection (goggles or a helmet). I'm curious to see where the Goblin falls in regards to this. It's not an ATV/ UTV, but it was not designed with a windshield, so is it exempt?

Otherwise, I can't comment on the process as I haven't even bought a kit yet. If nobody beats me to it, I'll post back once I go through the ordeal.

Paperscale

Also curious if there's any new info on this. Also been reading it over and it seems kind of vague on what is a good time or no go, especially since you can register a side by side which is pretty bare bones save for lights and a license plate bracket

benjy

Just for the record, you WOULD NOT want to register it is a street legal ATV in Utah. Street legal ATV's are not allowed in Class 1 counties (Salt Lake County) and where they are legal, are limited to streets with speed limits <55mph.

Utah is pretty straightforward, the Goblin will be a Type 2 Kit Vehicle, which means an ownership statement, application for Utah title, and an MSO from DF. The DMV will conduct a visual inspection.

The website still lists safety and emissions certificates, which is a little hazy because only 2 counties require emissions, and the state no longer requires safety, so lube shops aren't even certified to do safety inspections any more. As with other states, Utah only requires wipers if it has a windshield, so don't install until after licensing.

Just wanted to jot my notes for any future Utah builders.

Summary outline here: https://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles/rebuilt/kit-vehicles

benjy

I just finished the Utah registration process, and I will say:

I took the car in last week without the body panels, but with pictures of the body panels in place. They said it looked more like a go kart than a Lotus 7 (I went with the Utah Type 1 registration route) and wouldn't move forward.

I mounted the panels back up over the weekend, they verified that I mounted VIN tag, I paid sales tax on part purchased from DF, and they turned over the plates this morning.

TSander

#424 How my registration went and some info for Utah people

I got my paperwork done at the Taylorsville DMV, Salt Lake county. The location manager tried to get it classified as a street legal side by side. Don't sign or go along with that, otherwise you'll be limited to 55 mph roads. This is the general info I used or was assigned. She called the county manager and there was some back and forth, but it worked out. Do not budge on the vehicle type!

Vehicle type- passenger vehicle
Year- "the year on your MSO from DF"
Make- UNKN
Model- REPLICA GOBLIN
Body Style- Roadster
VIN- located behind the driver seat
Fuel- gasoline

Documents:
- MSO from DF (manufacturers statement of origin)

- receipt showing the purchase and that you paid taxes. You either paid Texas taxes to DF or you'll have to pay them to Utah. They will charge you the difference if your Texas sales tax does not meet the Utah Sales tax. Can't avoid taxes, but you won't be taxed twice.

- vin verification form. You can call your local police department (nonemergency number) and ask for an officer to be sent out for a new vehicle VIN verification. Fill out your end of the form and the officer will come out, confirm the vin, and sign off the paperwork. This is not an inspection of the whole vehicle, they will only look at the vin tag to verify it matches the vin document. Might need MSO I can't remember.

- Know your mileage. If you reset it to 0 put 1 mile on their form (zero / 0 is not excepted). If you did not reset the mileage put whatever the mileage on the dash says. (this won't be checked by them at this time)

- I brought pictures of my completed build

With all of that you'll get a plate and registration as though it's a new vehicle.

Utah has three counties that require emissions to be done on vehicles.
If you're not in an emissions county then you're done.

If you are in one of these counties you'll have more steps later

From the YEAR on the mso you have 2 years without having to really worry about emission compliance

On the year 3 re-registration you'll need to have the vehicle inspected by the county for emissions compliance before being able to register.
You won't be able to just take it anywhere.
Currently, I am an emissions certified tech and the kit car process is still a little hazy, but it'll have to match the emission standards of your original donor car. I can't supply much more information
---------------------------
Unfortunately, I didn't know that going into my build, so I followed the videos without thinking of it. At the time I thought it would be exempt.
My current plan after I call the county to get a list of what exactly I need is to either to just sell out of state / out of the emissions counties and put the whole thing behind me or head to a junk yard and pick up what I can from another same year cobalt.
---------------------------
I like the goblin and hope I can keep it, but in
hindsight, I'd skip the goblin headache