Variable rate steering box and adjusting kit

KLMOTORSPORTS

Steering box and adjustment switch kit so you can vary the amount of power steering in your car. Box is out of a Vue (metal case box)....the standard Cobalt boxes don’t work with the adjustment kit.

Sell both for $50 plus shipping...I paid $175 for both. I am going with a race steering setup so don’t need it.

Thanks!

Ken
F880A71A-2A4B-4986-A078-557CF1D69698.jpeg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I sure wish I knew how they did it with the VUE. I've looked into it and without having to do re-programming, I'm not sure how it would be accomplished on a Cobalt.

KLMOTORSPORTS

Talking with Lonny, that’s why you have to use the metal case box (out of the Vue)....won’t work with the stock Cobalt steering box

Ross

Goblin Guru
I was looking for a stand-alone controller for my Cobalt power steering... but I have the steering working now.
Good to know this is available, it might be nice for autocross racing.
$45 on ebay for the Bruno controller that mimics the ECU... you still need to buy the power steering unit.
$110 for the Bruno controller, fuse, a few other parts.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Bump... Can someone tell me if the Vue steering unit is a direct bolt-in replacement, or would modifications be required? Considering going this route.

Dale E

I apologize to all. My unit does not have the metal box on it. They must have used that one From 2002 - 2007, and changed to the one that is in an HHR without the metal box in 2008. Mine is a 2008 YM. I do have the controller switch, but I guess I wouldn't have used it either,

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I apologize to all. My unit does not have the metal box on it. They must have used that one From 2002 - 2007, and changed to the one that is in an HHR without the metal box in 2008. Mine is a 2008 YM. I do have the controller switch, but I guess I wouldn't have used it either,

View attachment 17079View attachment 17080
I'm kinda ignorant on this topic, but I'm interested in this controller as well. Mine is from an '09 HHR and needs the controller (metal box?), but the box isn't connected to the power steering module. So, I think the box can just be purchased. Does this aftermarket potentiometer eliminate the box, or does it just plug in before or after it?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Has anyone made any determination if the metal box can be swapped in place of the plastic box?
I was tinkering around and pulled the cover off the plastic box and found the side connector on the board can't be removed without taking the board out of the housing. But 1 of the 4 screws is soldered over so it can't be readily removed. The other end of the blue and white wires are hardwired into the steering motor. The board housing is held in with 2 screws and is easily removed. I'm not sure I'm going to dig any further into this without more information.
BTW, does anyone have photos of the metal box connector and possibly the board?

Attachments

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Has anyone made any determination if the metal box can be swapped in place of the plastic box?
I was tinkering around and pulled the cover off the plastic box and found the side connector on the board can't be removed without taking the board out of the housing. But 1 of the 4 screws is soldered over so it can't be readily removed. The other end of the blue and white wires are hardwired into the steering motor. The board housing is held in with 2 screws and is easily removed. I'm not sure I'm going to dig any further into this without more information.
BTW, does anyone have photos of the metal box connector and possibly the board?
The plugs are identical, other than the motor to box and battery power to box plug positions are reversed. Why not just get the whole EPS unit from the Vue? Its a direct bolt in. Got mine for under $50 from a pull your own.