Virginia Registration

Lechlis

Alrighty, I have reached the registration part of the build!

Below is a list of the documents that must be submitted for registration in Virginia.
  1. Completed VSA 22 Form: A pretty straightforward form. Fill out the digital copy and print to make things easier
  2. Completed VSA 17A Form: As info, The Factory 5 kit car guys registering in VA didn't input vehicle weight data and everything went smooth, so I left these few block empty and didn't weighed the car. I got liability insurance from Progressive for ~$345 annually to avoid the uninsured vehicle fee.
  3. Proof of Address: A copy of your drivers license and a recent utility bill.
  4. Kit Car Proof of Ownership: DF supplied MCO
  5. Donor Car Proof of Ownership: Title and/or Bill of Sale
  6. Notarized Statement of Construction: This is a detailed Excel file which should nearly detail each nut and bolt you installed day by day. I wrote it at the component level. Meaning I stated something like "Component X installed using hardware bag Y" for everything that had DF supplied hardware. On things I sourced, I just noted the component as installed. I also tried to throw in torque values everywhere I could to add some detail. I read a few Factory 5 forum posts and those who wrote about 2-3 pages of notes were consistently approved. Get this notarized before mailing.
  7. Vehicle Pictures: Pictures from the front and sides of the car are required. I printed each in color on separate sheets of paper.
  8. Sales Tax Excel: This is totally optional but I felt it would earn some brownie points with the person sifting though all of this info. I simply made an Excel sheet outlining where I was getting my tax and fee numbers from. It should be 4.15% of the DF kit car invoice cost, 4.15% of the donor car cost, a $125 inspection fee, and the $15 title fee. You can skip the $5 VIN fee because the DF installed plate will suffice. As a side note, per the notes at the link below, you only need to pay tax on the kit and the donor. All of the miscellaneous items you add on your own is free and clear.
  9. Tax and Fee Check: Cut a check for amount of tax and fees you figured up.
Pack it all up and send to:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Vehicle Branding Work Center
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269

All of this info came from the official Virginia DMV replica car website.
Link --> https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#reconstructed.asp

Once the packet is sent, sit back and wait. It will be reviewed when received. If everything is in order, a state police officer will call to arrange a VIN inspection. This is literally just to verify that the VIN number on the MCO and other forms matches what is physically on the chassis. Once that is complete, he signs it off in the computer. Some said the officer gave them the title right then. Others had to wait up to 48 hours for the system to update and have it printed at the DMV.

With the title in hand, you can go to the DMV to get the registration and plates. The only thing left to do is go get an annual vehicle inspection. I have a close friend who is a certified inspection tech and he doesn't feel there will be any issues but I will report back once I get to that point.

I wrapped up the last few things today and emailed them to my brother. He is going to get it shipped since I am out of the country currently. I return the second week of March, so I am hoping the timing aligns and can get this thing on the road soon after.

Last edited:

Lechlis

Originally posted to my build thread on 04/30/2020:

The registration material was delivered to the Virginia DMV in Richmond mid-February with an expected 3 week turn around. I called on March 25th to inquire about the status. They confirmed receipt of the packet and everything needed to process it was enclosed. However, they stated the process is taking 4-6 weeks now due to the pandemic. So, here I am on April 30th and haven't heard anything or seen the tax check cashed... A checkup call is planned this afternoon.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with the Virginia DMV. They are currently processing kit car, salvage title, and specialty title vehicle paper work received on March 5th, 2020 but weren't quite sure why mine hadn't been completed yet. So, I am now awaiting their return phone call.

Lechlis

I spoke with the VA DMV today after several long months of waiting. They had a few questions before processing the paperwork and cashing the tax check. Long story short, the Goblin would be titled as a "Dune Buggy" and, since 2009, dune buggies cannot be registered for road use in Virginia. The representative was exceptional and listened to me plead my case about being registered in other states, MCO stating "Roadster", being built to pass the annual safety inspection, etc. At the end of the day, open wheels and frame equals dune buggy status in VA.

You can expect to see Montana plates on the car soon :)

KissMySS

Well this is good information. I'm in Norfolk, VA. Before I get anyting started on this I was wondering about this. I seen people had issues in other states, an wondered how VA felt about this. I have seen numerous exo skeleton cars and tube chasis cars here in Hampton Roads, I never really paid attention to where the plates were from. I'm military and still have family in PA and NC, if I can't register it in VA, maybe I'll try to register it in another state.

Lechlis

The lady I dealt with last was quite helpful and, while she didn’t directly state this, illuded to the “Dune Buggy” status being solely driven by the pictures submitted (No surprise) which showed an open wheel tube chassis car. I interpreted this as, if I were to resubmit the packet with some makeshift body panels and fenders installed, it might slide through unnoticed. Take a look at the link below. Similar situation (and eventual favorable outcome) for a Factory Five that looked too “race car” for the VA DMV.

The lady I was speaking to did directly state that the State Trooper could overrule the VA DMV’s decision when he performs the VIN inspection if he felt the car was worthy of a road legal title. Once you read through the Factory Five thread, you can see a similar situation. My only concern was that, if he did side with the state, I am still locked into the VA titling process and would subsequently end up with an expensive piece of paper saying “Dune Buggy”...

Another option, which I haven’t fully explored but appears to simply be a financial decision, would be to register in MT and then take that title into any VA DMV and register it as normal. This hinges on how the Montana title reads of course. I’ll report back on that once I have it in hand.

Last edited:

KissMySS

Seems like it's all based of technicalities. I'd love a Goblin, but I didn't know there were so many issues trying to register them. I don't have a truck so trailering it around to places, really isn't an option, but it seems like driving around isn't really an option either, kinda pushes me away form building one, if the state can just kill all the fun.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wayne, you have a NC connection and they are amiable to registering Goblins. There are many builders from NC on the forum who can help answer your questions.

Lechlis

any updates on getting it titled??
I titled and registered it using the Montana method. It was a very simple process overall. I actually just renewed my registration for the year and it was no headache either.

Also, nothing but thumbs up from police officers so far. Lol. In fact, VA has made some vehicle legislation changes over the last 6-12 months that make it better for those who drive modified vehicles on the street. Check into that for the details, but it all helps.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
How did you deal with the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO)? Mine is in my name and I guess I need to transfer it to my LLC. Is that what you did?

Lechlis

How did you deal with the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO)? Mine is in my name and I guess I need to transfer it to my LLC. Is that what you did?
I asked DF to create a new MCO with the LLC name on it to skip that step. I read somewhere that they are no longer offering that. I forget the exact steps, but the LLC company will set you up with the proper documentation to transfer MCO ownership to the LLC. I called them ($49 Montana Registered Agent) several times to make sure I had everything filled out properly because not everything was perfectly clear on their client portal.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
@CaptFrank2001 I detailed the Montana registration, with the help of O-Prime's guide, right here. Follow that, and you'll be all set. The hardest part for me was getting the bill of sales notarized, and even then, it was not hard.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Deputy just left my place and signed the MV-20 (VIN Inspection) form for me. ALL of my paperwork is ready to go in the mail to Montana first thing in the Morning. Followed the O-Prime guide to a "T". Hoping to have a title & tag in 3-4 weeks.