Wallace58's Build

wallace58

Here is my build thread. Please note: I plan on doing a few things not the normal on this build. There are many others builds that will most likely follow the DF way of building the kit. This is my first DF Goblin build but not my first Kit Car. This is #17 for me. All the rest were Factory Five Racing builds. I drove the donor some today. Runs and shifts fine. Slight leaks at water pump and transmission. Will work on those once drivetrain is out of car. Started to strip donor.
1F04D993-AA5F-41C9-A880-336661F1FB78.jpeg1461AD5A-3512-4D9F-B11D-49820A333ED1.jpeg

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Nice looking donor, lots of parts to resell to recoup the cost of the donor. ;):)
Not so sure about the exhaust clamp holding the aftermarket intake tube on tho....

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Since you are just getting started on your tear down I figure your timing may just work out for us both. So far I believe I need your TRUNK LID! and maybe the front bumper cover, exhaust down pipe with cat and door panels?(even if they are a little damaged but repairable)? BUT I won't be home until Feb 20. Home for me is near Columbus, GA and a trip to Gainesville area isn't too bad to get bits I need. Also, I am parting out 2 Cobalt's to build my "Creature", SO if you find you're missing something drop me a line! I feel sure we can work something out!

wallace58

Since you are just getting started on your tear down I figure your timing may just work out for us both. So far I believe I need your TRUNK LID! and maybe the front bumper cover, exhaust down pipe with cat and door panels?(even if they are a little damaged but repairable)? BUT I won't be home until Feb 20. Home for me is near Columbus, GA and a trip to Gainesville area isn't too bad to get bits I need. Also, I am parting out 2 Cobalt's to build my "Creature", SO if you find you're missing something drop me a line! I feel sure we can work something out!
Sure thing. You can email me at [email protected]. Reference cobalt parts.

wallace58

Worked on the donor Friday and today. I am finished up to the start of part 5 of videos. I must say these videos are really great. Thanks to all who did them! I hope to do all of part 5&6 tomorrow. My LCA's are shot as well as the tie rod ends. Ordered new ones today. I was surprised how reasonable the cost was compared to Subaru parts. Also the F35 trans has tons of metal on the magnetic drain plug, not good! I will convert to a new F23 with 2000 Grand Am axles. I placed my Goblin order today. Hope to be able to pick it up by the end of January.
5E87CA88-F029-4AE3-BEA7-A2D24669AF56.jpeg063D0B1B-8CAF-4779-A5A6-9B53672375B1.jpeg91E269FD-288B-4D75-9F5C-3D7A362D406C.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Great progress! What is your plan to dispose of the donor carcass? Selling off parts?

Just a couple observations: The rear transmission mount - with the big rubber donut - can be sold or tossed, will be replaced with the new solid mount from DF. The SS swaybar is a maybe - it is extremely stiff to use on a car weighing 1/2 of a Cobalt. Plus it will be on the rear which induces oversteer (depending upon spring rates and suspension set up). Most builders opt for the NA (non-SS) swaybar which is more in line with the lesser weight and stiffness requirement of moving the front engine/suspension to the rear.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
What about the F23 vs the F35?(and the F60?) I thought I had heard the F23 was the weakest of the bunch. They are super common at my garage, 2 out of 3 Cobalts surveyed, the other is auto. I've only seen a couple of F35's at the junkyards. Did the F23 ever have LSD? I know that 8 weeks ago in self serve J/Y just south of the AlbQ airport there were 2, F35's. Unknown condition since that wasn't the subject of my search that day. I think I saw one in Springfield, MO. at Thanksgiving and one in a yard in Missoula, MT. around Halloween.{We move around a lot.}

Scott #321

F23 never came factory with LSD, many claim it is better if not at least as good as the F35 for handling torque without failure. There are so many F23's out there compared to the 35 is one reason several of us are making the move in that direction. It so nearly impossible to source parts to rebuild a F35 and the process is exceeding complex as compared to the F23. New 0 mile F23 can be purchased for 500 add another 1000 for a quafie and you have a nice 1500 mile 0 mile Goblin manual. A rebuilt F35 quafie can run you 5000 now days if you can source it. F40 is another option but you need frame modifications to use it in the Goblin and it will cost a considerable amount more. Not sure about F40 but limited to 3.95 or 4.05 gear ratio (I believe) in F35 while F23 has 4 options from 3.84 to 4.41. I would guess that the majority of 100k + mile F35 trans are starting to have the 1-2 shift syncros wear to the point that no-lift shifting becomes an issue.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I'm so old that I was in the Saginaw VS Muncie VS Borg Warner 4 speed wars! IIRC the only Folks that tore up the "weak" Saginaw boxes were dirt track racers and 1/4 mile addicts with way more money than sense. They tore up plenty of Muncie's too! I'll admit that Saginaw's were cast iron VS The Muncie's and BW's that had aluminum cases and those came in Corvettes! I'd bet a buck($1U.S.)that the F23, because it was the "base" and never came with an LSD, is only thought to be a lesser trans. If anyone wants to educate me about F23's inherent design inferiority I'll listen and learn! I'll be using F23's because that's what I have. I've got to get MY Creature running and driving before I can condemn it's parts! Current Project Status: Lawn Ornament AND Secondary Lawn Flamingo winter storage facility.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Scott, you're close to the Goblin Guru of the wheat fields, The D Man. He has been a font of knowledge! Listen to that guy!, he knows some good history!:cool: and he's always ready to scheme!

wallace58

I am Ok with an open diff. To get a 0 mile trans for $500 is too good of a deal, IMO. Some of the parts are going up for sale. Most just to the scrap yard. The donor looks better in pictures than it is in person, LOL. I will most likely take apart the F35 down the road and look at what is going on inside.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I am Ok with an open diff. To get a 0 mile trans for $500 is too good of a deal, IMO. Some of the parts are going up for sale. Most just to the scrap yard. The donor looks better in pictures than it is in person, LOL. I will most likely take apart the F35 down the road and look at what is going on inside.
You say that now but I'm already mapping out how to get a LSD setup. After the first couple drives you might well be looking for one too.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
F23 never came factory with LSD, many claim it is better if not at least as good as the F35 for handling torque without failure. There are so many F23's out there compared to the 35 is one reason several of us are making the move in that direction. It so nearly impossible to source parts to rebuild a F35 and the process is exceeding complex as compared to the F23. New 0 mile F23 can be purchased for 500 add another 1000 for a quafie and you have a nice 1500 mile 0 mile Goblin manual. A rebuilt F35 quafie can run you 5000 now days if you can source it. F40 is another option but you need frame modifications to use it in the Goblin and it will cost a considerable amount more. Not sure about F40 but limited to 3.95 or 4.05 gear ratio (I believe) in F35 while F23 has 4 options from 3.84 to 4.41. I would guess that the majority of 100k + mile F35 trans are starting to have the 1-2 shift syncros wear to the point that no-lift shifting becomes an issue.
Per GM information:

F40 final drive gear sets - 3.09, 3.55, 3.76, 3.90, 4.18
F35 final drive gear sets - 3.82, 4.05
F23 final drive gear sets - 3.84, 3.95, 4.17, 4.41
Please note some aftermarket gear sets are available that may have different ratios.

F40 gear ratios (1-6) - 3.92, 2.04, 1.37, 1.05, 0.85, 0.74
F35 gear ratios (1-5) - 3.38, 1.76, 1.18, 0.89, 0.70
F23 gear ratios (1-5) - 3.58, 2.02, 1.35, 0.98, 0.69