Warning - Clutch Fluid Level

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I thought the entire brake reservoir was a wide open container for the brakes and clutch. I was wrong. I noticed this while bleeding the clutch and before I knew it I was pumping air into the line and had to start all over with bleeding the clutch. While they share the same fluid, there is a separate compartment for the clutch fluid. In order for fluid to get into the clutch compartment, the level has to be as high as the molding mark, this is above the MIN level. The car also has to be level as does the mounting of the reservoir. You can inadvertently mount the reservoir on the lower two holes in the brake pedal box and this will cause it to be out of level and probably cause a lot of problems with fluid getting to the clutch. It needs to be mounted on the top two holes.

The red area is the clutch reservoir. The two black lines are the small slots that allow fluid in to the reservoir. Notice that they are at the top right at the molding mark.

DSCN0035.JPG

This is the top section and again there are two slots for fluid to pass and it's right at the top.

DSCN0038.JPG

You can see here that even with the fluid level this high, it's barely enough to keep the clutch reservoir full. During bleeding, this can cause the clutch reservoir to empty very quickly since there is so little capacity for it. Also notice this level is quite a ways above the MIN level.

DSCN0033.JPG

I knew there was a reason to keep the old reservoir all this time. Now I can finally toss it in the trash.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Thx, got one, even though it is covered I cant have that be the one old looking part on my build...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Thx, got one, even though it is covered I cant have that be the one old looking part on my build...
Not much I have looking old from the donor since I had to replace much of it. Had to replace the pedal box, reservoir, power steering unit, etc. :(.

I have replaced the coolant tank with the base model so it would fit better on the first build but it doesnt have the magnet inside for the float level, so I had to replace that again with the correct one on this build (after I remounted the brackets so it mounts better).

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I bought one that didnt have the float......not sure how they sent me that one. Its bolted in place. I am going to complete the circuit on the plug and just let it be. Pretty easy to monitor coolant levels so I am not super worried about it.

This is very good information as I start to fill things up with fluid.

Some people advise against using standard rubber (fuel) hose for brake fluid but it is just so convenient.

So it looks like the solution is to fill the heck out of the reservoir and make sure it is level. ...or move to a different external reservoir setup :)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So it looks like the solution is to fill the heck out of the reservoir and make sure it is level. ...or move to a different external reservoir setup :)
Yep, fill it up and keep it full during bleeding. After that, it should be fine for a long time.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I had actually thought about buying a reservoir for an automatic and putting a small one in for the clutch it self. But then i thought about having to mount it and other problems. So I ordered some hose and kept it all stock.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Is the idea here that the vacuum will pull any air downstream of the clutch master up to the reservoir? I don't doubt that this works and I'm willing to accept that it doesn't conform to my understanding but how would this remove air from the slave cylinder?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Yes, and since they share a system, the brakes as well for the most part. You’d have to cycle the brake pedal though as the MC would not open otherwise to allow the trapped air to come through.

Dale E

Reverse bleeding been around for years! Older times we pushed the fluid from the calipers to the reservoir with pusher pumps, syringes and stuff. It's kind of like when you change brake pads and push the calipers back to get the new pads on.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
So I had been driving the car for the past few weeks and put 250 miles on it alone this weekend with no clutch problems or leakes.... Well last night I thought I would give the vacuum thing a shot and see if I could get more travel out of the slave...

Here is what I did. Hooked the pump to the adapter tightly in the reservoir cap. Gave it 20-25 in Hg, Let it sit any were from 5 min to a couple hours. I notice that my fluid level will go from between min and max to max. Release the vac and pump the pedals.... And by the way both the clutch and the brake pedal will go to the floor as if there is nothing in the system. I can pump both systems up and have good solid brakes and the same clutch as before. BUT after a time the clutch will fade to nothing and the brake pedal will get softer!

What am I doing wrong??