Water Jet Cutting

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Querying the forum to see if anyone has access to a CNC water jet cutter? I'm looking to have some custom wing mounts made from aluminum plate. Also possibly liquid tank components cut too. Respond here or PM me if you want to communicate in private. Thanks, Tim

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I use a CAD program from emachineshop.com that is not only free, but WAY easier to learn than other CAD programs. Anything you do design on their CAD can be ordered and laser/waterjet cut in any desired material specified by the click of a mouse. They aren’t the cheapest, though.

I think you can also take the files from their program and furnish them to a local CAD shop though.

That covers the design aspect, anyways.

All of the local shops I looked at were pricey.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I've found the same thing here in Phoenix, anyone with a water jet wants to charge big $$$ to cut two 6X16 inch aluminum plates. :oops:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
How good are you with a jigsaw and file? lol. I made a cut jig clamp for my jigsaw. I can get pretty straight lines so far.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Nuker, Give me a couple days to put some dimensions together and get them to you to see if it is doable. The overall height and bottom/top attachment spacing would be similar to the DF parts. With 6061 plate I could probably get away with 0.188? Or would you recommend using 0.250? I will PM you what I have in mind. Thanks! :D

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
How thick are the steel ones DF makes? General rule of thumb is 2x the steel thickness for same rigidity of 6061 aluminum.

Nuker-

Ross

Goblin Guru
Tim, what wing are you mounting with these custom uprights? Just curious if others might want to order some custom uprights too.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
How thick are you looking for? I can cut up to 1/2" aluminum pretty easy on my CNC>

Nuker-

Cut that shifter plate from a file from DCmoney last week
That turned out nice!

DS

Is there a reason why it has to be water jet? Steel I cant cut up to 1" thick on a plasma, 5/8" on the laser, AL up to 3/8" on the laser and 1" + on our routers.

I recommend sticking with steel on the uprights.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We use 11 gauge (.120) thick.
We discovered that no matter how thick we went we still needed to take advantage of a diagonal brace.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm looking at 2 different ones, both aluminum airfoils, but at significantly different price points.
PCI Racing in Cali has an 8 inch cord wing that is $365 for the 50 inch length, minus mount brackets and end plates.
On Ebay I found a 6 inch cord wing from best-deal-auto that is $70 for a 48 inch, with mount brackets and end plates.
Since I have some aerodynamics in mind for my Goblin I will be purchasing one of the Ebay wings for a trial fit on the rear of my car. If it doesn't work out this wing will find it's way to the front of my car and the PCI will be ordered.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Lonny, thanks for the info. Diagonal bracing is in the design.
DC, I'm wanting aluminum for lighter weight and I'm wanting to anodize them for a specific look.
Nuker, looks like 0.250 plate it is. Let me draw up what I'm looking for and see if your machine can do it. I'll PM you with the info and further communication.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Lonny, thanks for the info. Diagonal bracing is in the design.
DC, I'm wanting aluminum for lighter weight and I'm wanting to anodize them for a specific look.
Nuker, looks like 0.250 plate it is. Let me draw up what I'm looking for and see if your machine can do it. I'll PM you with the info and further communication.
Same part made out of 1/4" aluminum is going to weight ~30% less the 11 gauge steel version. A 6x16 plate is roughly a pound difference between the two materials and thicknesses. The cost of the material and machine time is going to be significantly more for the AL. My biggest concern with AL for the uprights is fatigue.

Anodizing isn't going to work on carbon steel though.

Not trying to persuade you either way, just want the rest of the community to know theres more factors when choosing aluminum than just the potential weight savings.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Good community info for anyone debating steel versus aluminum for wing uprights.

Reminder, any time weight can be removed from your build - especially if you are adding necessary weight for other things - is a good thing.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
There's always a point of diminishing returns, if your ultimate goal is less weight, titanium is an option.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
That's a little overboard. There's being weigh frugal and then there's being foolish. I'll stick with the 'weak' aluminum, thanks. :confused: BTW, ounces add up to pounds - more to come on that later on in my build thread.