We are screwed here in Florida !

Oldchevyguy

Just talked to Mark at the Ocala Dept of motorist services. He said the rules have changed and the Gobin can no longer be registered in Florida, until such time that it can be certified to NHTSA federal standards. This will never happen I'm told by Adam because it would entail air bags, crash testing, etc.

Parson Green

I love living in Missouri, no beaches, no mountains no rules just a bunch of hillbillies.

Brad
Here's one indication that a person just might be a hillbilly ...

If is/her mother has participated in an actual fistfight at a little-league game.

Last edited:

Parson Green

Just talked to Mark at the Ocala Dept of motorist services. He said the rules have changed and the Gobin can no longer be registered in Florida, until such time that it can be certified to NHTSA federal standards. This will never happen I'm told by Adam because it would entail air bags, crash testing, etc.
Some guy on this forum (don't know his name/state) registered his Goblin as a specially modified Cobalt. By going this route, he was able to use the title from his donor. Or, that's what it sounded like anyway. So, FWIW, there's that.

Or, maybe Mark in Ocala is pulling your leg. The first response of most "gov. officials" is to deny and/or stonewall whenever anything comes up that's out of their typical procedures.

Oldchevyguy

I dont think this Mark in Ocala is pulling my leg. Previous conversations with him were quite positive. Then he got word from Tallahassee that cars like mine were no longer register able in Florida. Bummer!

Motoracer110

If there is a will there is a way. I just went through a lengthy 3 month process in my state, first state patrol officer said no way he was going to sign off on my car even if it abides by all the laws in the state. I ended up going to another inspection facility that was way cool very helpful and passed my initial inspection. I got 2 rejection letters from the state that the paperwork was improperly filled out and got that fixed. Finally yesterday i got my VIN plate on my goblin so finally in the clear. Its definitely a fight but you will get it done..

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats Motoracer110. Wow, state patrol officer said that! Why have laws if you don't follow them? At least he was honest, and you found someone else.

Last edited:

BAR-AIR

Basically if your ready to give up with the FIRST rejection you are basically “SCREWED”.....

Last edited:

Oldchevyguy

Congrats Motoracer110. Wow, state patrol officer said that! Why have laws if you don't follow them? At least he was honest, and you found someone else.

Oldchevyguy, you know you spelled Florida wrong in the title?
Sorry about the spelling.

Parson Green

Little league moms are tough tough. I'd put up my little league mom up against 5 soccer moms any day
Speaking of the world of soccer (and getting way, way off topic): Has it been showing an "extra-eccentric" side of late?

(talk about a way to get the worldwide pc gestapo on your case big time)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/french-soccer-player-ban-penis-biting

And then there's this:

Last edited:

Christopher Sanchez

What I would do is get on the state website for motor services and print out all of your information (if you haven't already) to register the kit car or specially constructed car. Whatever it is called in FL. If during your own research you find that the state is banning the registration of specially constructed vehicles then you'd have your answer. As others have mentioned it is not easy for most to register their completed car. I had all of my paper work completed before even trying and It took me 3 separate trips to 2 MVDs in neighboring cities. And a trip to the state police department. I think the biggest challenge is due to the staff being unfamiliar with the process. I had a similar experience as you are describing one week i went in to ask questions about the forms and the lady was extremely helpful and positive about what i was doing. When it came time to register it was the same lady that completely shut me down simply cause the goblin looks like an off-road vehicle. It comes down to the combination of chance and persistence. It can be very frustrating after spending all the time and money but its worth it in the end. Good luck

jamesm

A bit of confidence helps too. Have the state docs as Christopher mentioned, especially if they have a checklist. When I registered my goblin, the girl at the DMV had no idea what to do. I laid out all the docs on the table and showed her the checklist stating that I had all of these steps done and I needed her to process this specific piece. All I got was "Oh, Ok". 10 mins and a couple hundred bucks later, I left with my plates and registration.