Well there’s your problem right there.

pisco

Moral dilemma. Do I slap a new head gasket in it and disclose the repair in the sale of the boat or bite the bullet and have the head machined on a $5k - $6k boat??

WYGoblin

Me personally would check the head and block with a straight edge. If it looks good slap a head gasket on it and call it good. I wouldn't doubt if the head bolts went torques properly. I bought a brand new 4k blueprint gm 355 and blew both head gaskets and when I took it apart to check my 1/4 inch impact took out most of the head bolts. They were not torqued properly at all.

pisco

Me personally would check the head and block with a straight edge. If it looks good slap a head gasket on it and call it good. I wouldn't doubt if the head bolts went torques properly. I bought a brand new 4k blueprint gm 355 and blew both head gaskets and when I took it apart to check my 1/4 inch impact took out most of the head bolts. They were not torqued properly at all.
i did the head 3 years ago.
I believe timing was advanced when it was supposed to be 1°atdc so it might have been that.

taking the head off my Milwaukee 3/8 mid torque (450 ft lb) wouldn't take out 4 of the bolts

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I think I'd do the due diligence in making sure it's not going to blow another gasket prior to selling, if you're not going to tell them about it.

Don't be another reason why people are weary of buying used toys.

pisco

I think I'd do the due diligence in making sure it's not going to blow another gasket prior to selling, if you're not going to tell them about it.

Don't be another reason why people are weary of buying used toys.
I agree but planned on full disclosure, used boats are a hot market item right now.. selling for 3x normal value.
I think I’ll check for flatness and decide from there

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I would go back together with a high-performance gasket from a manufacturer like Fel-Pro or similar. They tend to hold up better if the mating surfaces have any imperfections or if you have some engine knock.

pisco

I decided to take it in and have the machinist check it
local shop that is nationally recognized, The owner checked it and it was out 12 thou in the middle eek I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did last time i assembled it