What do you not like about your Goblin

George

Goblin Guru
I for one love my Goblin. I am a tinker so the ease of making changes or adding new features is very easy. Love the power, love the hadling and the uniqueness of the design. Do you have any thing you do not care for?

Brad

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
1. Getting in and out
it takes practice to get in and out of it without hurting yourself or pieces of the car.

b. washing it
with it being wide open, every nook and cranny needs attention, BUT don’t get electronics wet.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Ditto on the washing. We have about 1000' of gravel driveway and there is a very limited time after a rain where it's not sloppy and not dusty.

We have the easy entry, so getting in and out is very easy. Had enough practice, it's not much different than getting in or out of a normal vehicle, just different.

I don't like taking the hood on and off. I need to modify the screw lock things on the front. They are so tight and difficult to screw lock and unlock. I just dread doing it because one more time and the slot will be completely mangled. I've even custom ground a large stubby screwdriver to fit it a best as possible. Lonny said something about using a pliers and pinching the spring down to make it easier. Our first hood lined up and fit the two bolt holes but this one we have to really push it to get to line up and it's a two-person job. So we plan everything around the taking the hood off. Which by the way, we need to do soon.

I love how easy it is to work on for the most part. I hate working on normal cars because the space constraints and rusty bolts. But everything on this car is new yet and easy to get to.

One small grip, I wish everything was metric! Why for the love of God do us stupid Americans stick with the stupid imperial system! 50 years old and I still have to stop and think about what is the next size up from 5/16" and do I need to go to 7/32". UGH! Metric, 7mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, etc is all you need unless you have to back up a bolt -BRILLIANT! Well, there is that black hole that the 10mm keeps slipping into.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
The offset pedal box and steering wheel are not ideal, but are easily adapted to. My only other complaint is that the harness bar is too low, but that can be addressed with a welder and some DOM tubing easily enough; I just wish I had made the realization before sending my chassis out for powder coating.

George

Goblin Guru
I guess the only issue I have is should have chosen the longer wheel base. For better enter and exit.
Brad

Ross

Goblin Guru
Bump steer. Still looking forward to Lonny's modification.. Debating making my own.
Fixed the gas pedal issue. The clutch doesn't seem to bother me as much, but it isn't in line with seat and other 2 pedals.
If imperial disappeared tomorrow, it would be good. The rest of the world has moved on, only U.S., Liberia and Myanmar are left in the dark ages.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
It's a love/hate thing about cost, let me explain. The idea of an affordable kit car at about $16K was highly appealing and very doable, which is what I sold my wife on to get it in the first place. If I would have bought the kit, the donor, and only the needed replacement parts to get it put together and running, I would be okay. Problem is I can't do that, no way!

Those used (and abused) donor drivetrain and mechanical parts won't do, so replacements had to be purchased. Makes no sense to mate up old and worn ones with new ones. And look at all the neat things that everyone else is doing to modify their Goblin to make it better. Got to do those and all of the other things my engineering brain thought of when I'm not working. Wait, this mod doesn't look right - start over and buy some more parts.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love building this car and the interaction with everyone on the forum. This is best group of people anyone could ever hope to be a part of - and the end result is a car that is all your own: BUILT NOT BOUGHT. What I hate is that you can't leave it 'stock'. This car begs to be modified and have all of the toys added that can be imagined. This in turn makes the $16K I-can-build-it-for-that price a pipe dream. When my total went past the $25K mark the home accountant let me know and asked when I would be done spending money on this 'money pit'? Stating it would never be done was the wrong answer. So I hate that the Goblin is a bad habit, but I am loving every minute of building it. :D:mad::cool:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It's a love/hate thing about cost, let me explain. The idea of an affordable kit car at about $16K was highly appealing and very doable, which is what I sold my wife on to get it in the first place. If I would have bought the kit, the donor, and only the needed replacement parts to get it put together and running, I would be okay. Problem is I can't do that, no way!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love building this car and the interaction with everyone on the forum. This is best group of people anyone could ever hope to be a part of - and the end result is a car that is all your own: BUILT NOT BOUGHT. What I hate is that you can't leave it 'stock'. This car begs to be modified and have all of the toys added that can be imagined. This in turn makes the $16K I-can-build-it-for-that price a pipe dream. When my total went past the $25K mark the home accountant let me know and asked when I would be done spending money on this 'money pit'? Stating it would never be done was the wrong answer. So I hate that the Goblin is a bad habit, but I am loving every minute of building it. :D:mad::cool:
Try doing it twice and the ability to "If I had to do it all over again, I would..."

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I would definitely echo the comments about the hood and engine cover being a major PITA. I also dislike how much heat comes into the passenger area.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
My only complaint thus far about the build is the tunnel cover. I dislike rivets; I would prefer there be no rivets at all designed into the kit. That being said, I know I can change them to something else if I want to.

The cost is also a (self-imposed) problem. It's exactly like DS said above: you budget X dollars, and you end up actually spending X + Y + Z dollars, then W more dollars next year when you have the next great mod idea. Again, self-imposed.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

Those used (and abused) donor drivetrain and mechanical parts won't do, so replacements had to be purchased. Makes no sense to mate up old and worn ones with new ones. And look at all the neat things that everyone else is doing to modify their Goblin to make it better. Got to do those and all of the other things my engineering brain thought of when I'm not working. Wait, this mod doesn't look right - start over and buy some more parts.

Tim - you be the moose......the Goblin the muffin....... LOLOLOLOLOL...... :)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
the shifter, rocker arms, little plastic parts, small turnbuckles, cables, that all result in the non-in touch feel of the remote trans

George

Goblin Guru
Bump steer. Still looking forward to Lonny's modification.. Debating making my own.
Fixed the gas pedal issue. The clutch doesn't seem to bother me as much, but it isn't in line with seat and other 2 pedals.
If imperial disappeared tomorrow, it would be good. The rest of the world has moved on, only U.S., Liberia and Myanmar are left in the dark ages.
Bump steer can be adjusted front and rear.
With the use of a bump steer gauge and a little fabrication it is dueable.
Brad

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
  • The off-center steering wheel is the most annoying thing I can think of.
    • Power steering isn't necessary so I'm gonna take it out and go manual.
  • Rivets on the tunnel cap.
  • The hood not being able to swing open and latch like a typical car.
    • I did not realize the rear hinges were not really hinges and chipped my hood on the radiator support trying to figure out how the bottom dzus fasteners went on allowing the hood to be unlocked and swung open (how silly of me to assume :rolleyes:)

Last edited: