What do you not like about your Goblin

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I do not feel I have those issues. Love launching from the light. Always drive faster than traffic looking for a race.
Brad
When I was first at the light that was the case. But the usual left laner at the same speed as the right kept that from happening.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I’m thinking a trailer made out of a cobalt. Something like this.
So I took a look at the undamaged rear of my Cobalt, to see if it could be a trailer. The rear wall behind the seats is about 6" in front of the rear wheels, so if you loaded the trunk with stuff, it would make the trailer tongue lift up. To balance it, it would need to include the rear seat area. Which made me think, the seats match the Goblin, maybe put them back in the trailer, and have a trailer rumble seat. Danger seats that match the Goblin!
The Cobalt gas tank is under the rear seats, so it could be used as an extra tank of E85. Just need to put a pump back in there.

Crazy thoughts, but fun!

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
So I took a look at the undamaged rear of my Cobalt, to see if it could be a trailer. The rear wall behind the seats is about 6" in front of the rear wheels, so if you loaded the trunk with stuff, it would make the trailer tongue lift up. To balance it, it would need to include the rear seat area. Which made me think, the seats match the Goblin, maybe put them back in the trailer, and have a reverse rumble seat. Danger seats that match the Goblin!
The Cobalt gas tank is under the rear seats, so it could be used as an extra tank of E85. Just need to put a pump back in there.

Crazy thoughts, but fun!

View attachment 16220
Question: how much actual towing weight can a short wheelbase 1600lb car safety tow? Not pull, but with the requisite panic stop control that could be extremely dangerous? The attached gives an overview of what needs to be considered if a Goblin will be used to tow anything. I'm concerned for your safety and believe DF should be consulted if anyone is seriously considering this.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My trailer rear seats weren't a safety concern? Lol.
We wouldn't want to crash the Goblin. I see your concern. Anyone crazy enough to sit in those seats is on their own, just don't crash the Goblin.

Dale E

I don't think the Goblin will have any problems with a small trailer - ie; like a motorcycle one or even larger. I have a medium sized cooler carrier for my Stalker and put luggage on top of that with camping chairs on the rear deck. On the Goblin there appears to be a small trunk area in the rear chassis above where you have the muffler - reroute the muffler a bit lower. A small box could be incorporated there - sort of like an old Deuce coupe.

I only have lotus seven replica examples from friends and the Lotus seven is a much smaller car than the Goblin.
1598016999866.png1598017100270.png

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Sorry, y'all. If I see a ball hitch on a Goblin, I am gonna laugh till my side hurts...

Let me explain, before anyone yells at me for being insensitive. Non-PC. Bullying.

The whole mission of the Goblin is a fast, light, economical (kind of) "race car" that we get to build in our garage. Something we can upgrade and take to the track if wanted. Or, just cruise around town and get all the thumbs up from mere mortals. Or, take to the local car meet and brag that we built it, not bought it.

Ball hitches belong on a truck. Pickups.

Since these projects are each and every man's, you are more than welcome to do whatever you want - including putting a ball hitch on it. But, I still have the right to laugh..... :)

Now, I need to get back to searching for a wing to buy - before I get any more laughs at my naked Goblin..... :p

Last edited:

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Sorry, y'all. If I see a ball hitch on a Goblin, I am gonna laugh till my side hurts...

Let me explain, before anyone yells at me for being insensitive. Non-PC. Bullying.

The whole mission of the Goblin is a fast, light, economical (kind of) "race car" that we get to build in our garage. Something we can upgrade and take to the track if wanted. Or, just cruise around town and get all the thumbs up from mere mortals. Or, take to the local car meet and brag that we built it, not bought it.

Since these projects are each and every man's, you are more than welcome to do whatever you want - including putting a ball hitch on it. But, I still have the right to laugh..... :)

Now, I need to get back to searching for a wing to buy - before I get any more laughs at my naked Goblin..... :p
Race cars haul their own trailers to the track all the time

Mayor West

Goblin Guru

This makes absolutely no sense. What about extra usefulness and utility makes you want to laugh exactly? Gatekeeping trailer hitches... that makes me want to laugh.

Dale E

Sorry to the forum. I only posted the pictures for reference on what could be done, for those on the forum that expressed an interest in more luggage space or for those who want to do some extended cruising with their wives/partners. A Stalker owner friend living in Florida took his daughter through all 50 states pulling a small trailer with camping gear and belongings. The sevens group in England load more stuff on theirs it boggles the mind (but, they take a month long trip together, and a few years ago shipped 10 cars to Texas and drove to California for their months vacation. So some folks like a little cruising.

Not everyone does auto-cross or track racing. For those folks I hope you podium every time out. Those who do the more spirited driving sure do not want that extra weight a hitch would give them, but do add a tow-ring front and back for those off track gardening moments you might encounter.

I laugh at wings/wangs! Bling is king! For auto-cross it maybe helps a little. For track it has some benefit. For cruising it's just show car bling with no benefit and added weight.

You are very correct that its your build and you can do anything you want. If you buy one you can change things to make it yours. That's the beauty of a kit built car. Individualism at it's finest. And when you get together at a meeting, like in Arkansas, you are one in accord!

Laugh on! Enjoy life - it's precious! Enjoy the journey!

Not being a Goblin builder/owner I will try to restrain myself. Personally I think Goblins rock!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Maybe you should just build one already, Dale!.....

....but regardless, don't be sorry. Your insight and contributions here are very welcome and appreciated. I especially appreciated the interest you took in my starting/cranking problem.

Wing or not, hitch or not, we're all Goblin people!

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
The offset pedal box and steering wheel are not ideal, but are easily adapted to. My only other complaint is that the harness bar is too low, but that can be addressed with a welder and some DOM tubing easily enough; I just wish I had made the realization before sending my chassis out for powder coating.
Which way does the seat need to shift to be better lined up with the steering wheel and how much in inches?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The steering wheel is a little to the right, as are the pedals. This is because of the shape of the car.
Personally, it doesn't bother me, but if you were to rotate the seat a little clockwise, it would line up with the controls better, but now you are not pointing down the road straight. You would have to look a little left to see straight.

Last edited: