what donor to get

redline

Hello all, I am new here and I was wondering what years cobalt can be used? is see 05 -10 but what if the cobalt is newer than 10?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Yep. 2010 was the last year. After that it was succeeded by the Cruze. Don't try one of those because it won't work.

DanPerryy

The Cruze replaced the Cobalt. The intake and exhaust ports are on opposite sides of the head - among other things.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I don't think there is one year that's preferred over the others. All harnesses are not the same. There are several differences between the base and SS models. There are even small differences between similar models and different years.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Nah. > '09 is the best because it has tire pressure monitoring. Just messing with you. Not trying to start a pissing match.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
From my understanding, it should work with no issues. So in theory, the light should only come on when there is an actual problem.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Well yes that is true. But running 29 to 35 psi. Is the range that sensors are set for. Will be a rough ill handling car. I am figuring on running only about 20 psi and will most likley triger the light

redline

I will most likely call the guys at ZZP and have them build me an engine so all I am looking for is the wiring, suspension/steering, and accessories that is why I am asking. I sure wish we could use the saturn redline as a donor, I just got ride of two of those.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I will most likely call the guys at ZZP and have them build me an engine so all I am looking for is the wiring, suspension/steering, and accessories that is why I am asking. I sure wish we could use the saturn redline as a donor, I just got ride of two of those.
That could be a complicated task, doable, but more complicated because of the ECM and TCM(if needed). You will still have to have a donor for the electronics (primarily the BCM and ECM), harness, and dash. Not trying to talk you out of it, others have done it.

DanPerryy

I agree, get the car, strip all the suff out, you will have all the electronics. Then you can get a build on the engine. It is all the "other" stuff that will drive you nuts.

redline

Thank you everyone. I will keep an eye out for a ss then. very slim pickings out there right now. can find plenty of LS/LT but not many SS.
It might be cheaper to buy a LS and then purchase the ss wiring harness separate? If I recall the ECU is the same in each so should be able to flash the LS ECU. I cant imagine the harness being over 1000 bucks, and for that matter I bet it is identical to my Saturn Redline harness, and I have a few of those laying around? I will have to research that.

redline

It is very refreshing to see such an active and helpful community here. I was first thinking of the Exocet/Miata but didn't get much response from people so I kept on looking.