What To Do If The Engine Won't Start The First Time

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I've seen a lot of post recently with those have have had trouble starting the engine for the first time. Many of them tend to be the same issues of some form or another over and over. So I thought I would start a thread about what to do if the engine doesn't start the first time and common things you can check for. I'm not the expert on this and I'm looking for others to correct me and add to the subject. If there is a correction, I will correct this original post.

A couple of key things to remember that are very important:
  1. Grounds are very important and one of the most common issues (more information soon).
  2. The High Speed GM LAN serial bus must be connected between the BCM (Body Control Module) and the ECM (Engine Control Module).
  3. Clutch and Brake switches have to be activated properly before it will crank.
Grounds

This is by far the most common issue with the engine not wanting to do anything. Without a GOOD ground on every circuit, current cannot flow properly. One poor ground on one circuit can cause current to feed back through other circuits and use their grounds and all kinds of weird things can happen. Electricity will NOT flow through paint or powder coating. If you did not clean off all the paint or powder coat on your ground lugs and bolts, STOP now and go back to clean them up. Even if the metal is clear of paint or powder coating, I still suggest using a wire wheel on a die grinder or something to scratch the the heck out of the surface of the metal to make the best possible contact.

This is an actual ground I found on my donor. This is NOT a good ground.

1541950556037.png

This is what your ground lugs should look like:

IMG_4053.JPG

I would also recommend you clean off the underside of the engine mounts so as to get a good ground through them. If not, at least connect the large ground cable from the engine block to the rear frame ground terminal.

IMG_4055.JPG

Connect this cable to this terminal (mine is not yet cleaned off completely yet).

IMG_4057.JPG
IMG_4054.JPG

Another very important ground is the ground on the headlight harness. There is a large white block connector on the underside of the fuse box, this is the connection for the headlight circuits. Believe it or not, there is a very important ground in there used for the relays in the fuse box. Without it, the relays will not activate.

1541952016477.png
1541952129719.png

The BCM also has to have a good ground. Make sure to clean all the contact points and use star washers if you have them.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The High Speed GM LAN serial bus

The high speed GM LAN serial bus is a pair of wires used for communication between all of the control modules. It can be easily identified by the tan and tan/black twisted pair of wires. The originate at the DLC connection (OBDII port) and then continue to EPS (Electronic Power Steering) unit. From there the briefly change colors to brown and brown/black as they continue on to the BCM. After they come back out of the BCM, they are tan and tan/black again. Normally they could continue on through the VICM and EBCM, but those have been removed. So from the BCM, the twisted pair will go to the TCM (Transmission Control Module) if you have an automatic transmission and then on to the ECM. With a manual transmission, the BCM will go directly to the ECM. If you get nothing else out of this paragraph, just know the twisted pair has to go from the BCM to the ECM.

DLC (OBDII port)

You should be able to find the wires at pin 14 and 6 on the OBDII connector.

1541953087113.png

EPS (Electronic Power Steering)

You can find them on Pin 1 and 2

1541953166652.png

BCM (Body Control Module)

The serial line comes in on the C2 connector Pin 1 and 19 as brown and brown/black. They leave the BCM on the same connector Pin 2 and 20 as tan and tan/black.

1541953309276.png

TCM (Transmission Control Module - Automatics ONLY)

The serial line comes in on Pin 4 and 5 and leave to the ECM on Pin 37 and 38
1541953486534.png

ECM (Engine Control Module) and/or PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

The final destination is the ECM/PCM on Pin 64 and 65 of the ECM and Pin 1 and 2 of the PCM
1541953667788.png

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Looking back on my engine to frame ground, I should have smeared something like Noalox on it to prevent galvanic corrosion.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Step one, contemplate selling it immediately!

Seriously though, take a deep breath and work through it. I don't think I have seen anyone who just could never get it to start.

CHECK GROUNDS....

aaronbuley

Dang... I’ve done all this and still can’t get a crank. Dash lights up. Says low coolant and low fuel and the anti theft light stays on for about 5 seconds. I push the clutch and bake in. No crank.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
So, easy things to try (that was somewhat included above) is to take some jumper cables and run them to the different grounds. ensure the engine is grounded, the floor strap is grounded. you can connect them all up to see if you get a better crank. Also may be good to hook up a battery jumper to the box. I know just the other day my battery had almost died. my security light came on for a moment and then once i jumped it was good.

Christopher Sanchez

I would check your clutch pedal switch. Idk if you did your own wiring but when I did mine I somehow cut a needed 5v reference wire that connects the clutch pedal to the ecm.. pin 14 it’s a gray wire.. also just check your switch wiring is Correct try starting it without depressing the clutch. Make sure you didn’t plug the brake switch to the clutch accidentally. Good luck sir!! It will make that first start that much sweeter!

Attachments

askiles

Goblin Guru
On the ground issues, I knew that I didn't want any grounding issues, so I ran (3) dedicated ground wires from the battery to (3) locations...the dash ground lugs, the tunnel ground lugs, and then back to the grounding lugs at the driver's side transmission mount. I just ran some 8ga wire to each location, and am very happy I did! Nothing better than a ground that runs directly back to the battery.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think the clutch plug has brown, yellow and white wires.

You may want to pull the crank relay and jump across the load terminals to make sure the starter turns over.

If you can't get it your more than welcome to bring it by the shop.

aaronbuley

On the ground issues, I knew that I didn't want any grounding issues, so I ran (3) dedicated ground wires from the battery to (3) locations...the dash ground lugs, the tunnel ground lugs, and then back to the grounding lugs at the driver's side transmission mount. I just ran some 8ga wire to each location, and am very happy I did! Nothing better than a ground that runs directly back to the battery.
I dont have any wires that go to the tunnel ground. DF did the wiring and it seems perfect but I did notice that difference.

I tried jumping the Crank Relay and got nothing. I found Lonny’s photo of how the wiring should be on the starter and mine is exactly like that. I had been thinking that was my issue when I ran across that post last night but just went out and confirmed it’s good.

I kept reading about headlight grounds. I haven’t done that yet but not sure why that would prevent the starter from attempting to crank. Does anyone have a link to headlight ground photos?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I kept reading about headlight grounds. I haven’t done that yet but not sure why that would prevent the starter from attempting to crank. Does anyone have a link to headlight ground photos?
The headlight harness provides the ground to the fuse box for the relays used in the fuse box. See above for a picture of the fuse box connector (of the headlight harness) and it's ground wire.

But if you have jumped the relay and it's still not starting, you have effectively bypassed the headlight harness ground and sounds like you have another issue.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Do you have the purple wire on the starter? The wire is not shown in this picture but should be connected to this connection on the starter.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I dont have any wires that go to the tunnel ground. DF did the wiring and it seems perfect but I did notice that difference.
Are you saying you don’t have a bundle (or several) of grounds at ground lugs in the tunnel?? That should bolt/ground to the floor strap bolt that comes through the floor?

aaronbuley

The headlight harness provides the ground to the fuse box for the relays used in the fuse box. See above for a picture of the fuse box connector (of the headlight harness) and it's ground wire.

But if you have jumped the relay and it's still not starting, you have effectively bypassed the headlight harness ground and sounds like you have another issue.

View attachment 9058
Ah ok yeah I did do that. Once I did that, the fuel pump started working.