What wideband is everyone running

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I don't plan on doing my own tuning since zzp is fairly close, but I would like to have a wideband sensor. What does everyone suggest?

Ross

Goblin Guru
AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge $162,
Kinugawa Thermo-Isolating O2 Bungs (Screw In) Reducing the exhaust gases $35, shims for it $3.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I run AEM. Whatever you get just make sure it has the data out line for logging. Typically like a 0-5v signal.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
X3 on the AEM. It's about the most widely used gauge out there. Mine has serial out for interfacing with HP Tuners. The data out will require addition equipment (PRO) package from HP Tuners.

Additional information:

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I run a Prosport unit in my Probe. Really nice piece and much easier to install than the AEM unit in my opinion since it has a control box instead of running all of the wires to the gauge. Plus I love how it looks and does a full sweep at startup. It also has the data output from the box. Used to run the AEM until it decided to smoke itself out one day for no reason.

Edit: Here's a link to the one I use. They have other colors and styles as well.
https://prosportgauges.com/collections/wideband-afr-gauge/products/2-1-16-evo-wideband-digital-air-fuel-ratio-kit

Edit2: Here's a link to the wideband that I ran in my G8 to get it remote tuned as the tuner insisted this is the only one he'd do the tune using. Ended up just going somewhere to have it dyno tuned but we did use it to have my neighbor's Procharged C6 Vette remote tuned. It's a nice unit but I don't like it because there's no good way to mount it and it's crazy expensive compared to many other good options.
https://www.amazon.com/Ballenger-Motorsports-AFR500v2-Monitor-Production/dp/B00MU6VBBO

Last edited:

Fozda

Goblin Guru
If you're going to ZZP to have it dyno tuned you shouldn't have to install a wideband, they will probably just stick one in the tailpipe for tuning.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I recently got a n AEM 30-4900 Failsafe because it doubles as a boost gauge and I wanted to conserve on space.

Can someone help me figure out what wire this needs to be?

The website says:
The AEM Wideband Failsafe Gauge’s (WBFS) engine speed (RPM) input requires a clean square wave tachometer-type signal in order to log engine speed properly.

The voltage of this signal must NOT exceed 16V or go below vehicle ground (zero volts.)

Here are examples of signals that WILL NOT work and could cause damage to the gauge:

• Crank sensors
  • Ignition coil primary (positive or negative terminal)
  • Injector signals
Here are examples of suggested RPM input configurations:
  • An MSD GMR Pickup (P/N #8918) connected to: coil primary (inductive or capacitive) or fuel injector*
  • An aftermarket multi-strike distributor tachometer output (for example: MSD-6AL, Crane Hi-6, etc.)
  • OEM tachometer signal (0-12V square wave—verification with an oscilloscope recommended)
*Note: Install the GMR Pickup as per MSD instructions; the GMR is generally installed on the “+” side of referenced signals.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Oof. Finding a clean tach signal on this car is impossible. You’ll have to get something like the autometer or MSD tach signal box which can convert the coil trigger signal to square wave. You won’t get it straight from the car. This is why I got the tach I did it’s designed to be triggered by modern distributorless ignitions