What's the consensus on Goblin Rear Struts?

What did you find to be the better setup?

• Stock Struts with cut coils

• Stock Struts with lowering springs

• Performance Struts designed for the donor i.e. KYB, KSpeed, etc.

• Enthusiast Struts i.e. BC Racing kit

Results are only viewable after voting.

SwerveMonkey

At the moment I find myself in a potentially good spot to replace the donor struts that were thankfully not entirely stock.
I could simply replace the old shocks (sans springs ) and replace them with newer OEM shocks and re-install the Eibach springs that came with the donor.
OOORRRR... maybe perform a ~slight~ upgrade to newer whatever brand name shocks that i can find without springs.

I did not fully eliminate the possibility of going fully bespoke suspension like how it was spelled out in the Coilover Options thread...

granted, I'm not taking this to a track but will be doing some "spirited driving" to the local cars and coffee ^_^
But what do you guys think in regards to your own "butt-feel" or results from driving?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I only have ran the coilover option. But it makes more sense to me since you don’t have to deal with cut springs and can get the ride height dialed in.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I like the adjustability of the aftermarket strut/springs; ride height, dampening, spring selection (225/475 work well on the back)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
What's your set up? I am currently running those up front.
I have the 225/475 up front, with about half way up on the valve adjustment for the street. Rears are stock 300 with 2 from top on stiffness. Autocross those change, to almost all the way up on stiffness.

SACTX has the 225/475 all around. His drives very well. I haven’t put this on the back yet.

I can give you the click numbers, but some of the shocks have more clicks than others, for some reason.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I was just wondering about the spring rates. I didn't know that anyone had tried the dual rate springs in the rear

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I have been meaning too, but have been lazy about it. Like I said, Scott did and loves it. I like mine up front. A little soft (more comfortable) for the street and aggressive at autocross.

SwerveMonkey

No 'None of the above' category? :p:cool:
Struts have got to go!
Yep, but that’s a whole ‘nuther thread. :D
LoL'd at the replies then scratched my head in confusion o_O
if "none of the above" aligns with tossing the struts, then maybe my nomenclature is skewed.
teach me guys.... what am i missing here?? Should I have labeled Enthusiast struts as coil overs?
...Coilovers vs. Struts?
There are two general stock configurations of coil springs and shock absorbers. In some cars, the coil spring is located apart from the shock absorber, supporting the vehicle on its own. The shock is mounted separately from the spring.

In other configurations, the coil spring is mounted to the shock absorber as a single unit supporting the vehicle. This is typically referred to as a strut but is sometimes called a coilover. In fact, coilover is just a shortened version of “coil spring over shock absorber,” and sometimes coilovers are indeed struts but not always. In the field, the main difference between coilovers vs. struts is adjust-ability and customization.
If the struts are tossed what goes in there place?
Forgive me if I'm being pedantic, just confuzzled as to what other options there are for suspension components...
This would be the start of another thread entirely but my mind just needs answers guys

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You're vote tally is correct for strut types and nomenclatures that 99% of every builder will be opting to use.

I'm poking fun, as a very few of us are opting to design/fabricate rear suspensions that are not McPherson struts. Sorry to introduce any confusion - my bad. And as @Rttoys said, it is a whole other discussion.

SwerveMonkey

ahhh.. gotcha!
might sound weird to say, but I'm glad i was just being obtuse.
Looking forward to seeing a thread regarding an alternative suspension setup, sounds intricate and complex.