Wheel and Tire Help

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'm running 17x9/30 offset with 275/40-17 tires so narrower wheel & wider tire and slightly smaller diameter. I think the proposed combo is about the same as mine and I have about 3/8" clearance from the coilover on the rear. So I think they will work, but things are so tight it's hard to say for sure.

What are you defining as wheel hop? In my mind that happens in drag racing when the rear suspension is cycling as the wheels are struggling to get traction, causing a feedback loop in the rear that eventually causes high shock loads to the driveline.

Adam in CLE

3/8" seems very tight to me but if you've never had a problem I would suspect I wouldn't either. Wheel hop in this scenario is the front tires bouncing based on too big a tire and not enough weight on the front.

Adam in CLE

I'm running 17x9/30 offset with 275/40-17 tires so narrower wheel & wider tire and slightly smaller diameter. I think the proposed combo is about the same as mine and I have about 3/8" clearance from the coilover on the rear. So I think they will work, but things are so tight it's hard to say for sure.

What are you defining as wheel hop? In my mind that happens in drag racing when the rear suspension is cycling as the wheels are struggling to get traction, causing a feedback loop in the rear that eventually causes high shock loads to the driveline.
Is your speedo accurate with your tire / rim combo?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I guess the front wheels might skip while at the limit of braking, but I'm not sure that is caused by large tires on the front.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I already had the tuner, worth the credits to get the MAF dialed in and my new motor came with a 4 bar map sensor. Still need to play with the tune some more since It's actually turned down a little.

Adam in CLE

Gotcha. I wasn't planning on running a time at least not at the start. Was considering buying it to turn off the dash lights, resetting tpms threshold if possible and dialing in the speedo. Just not sure it's worth the money.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It will only take care of the check engine light. I don’t think it will do anything with the tpms. I would guess most turbos could benefit from a maf tuning.