Wheel help (Motegi Mr154)

kurbkilla

I'm looking to do wheel / tire combo and just want to run it by the experts before I pull the trigger. I have the stock 5x110 hubs, and was think of adding 5mm spacers up front since I didn't get the Steering Rack Limiter and a spacer is easier then taking the rack apart and alining again. The main concerns I have is how much the handling will change for the bad "scrub radius" ect. with this set up.

I did search but most of the wheels ether had stock offset or close to negative.

Attachments

Corgithulhu

As long as the suspension clearance spec went up (as in the tire moved away) compared to stock in that first image you posted, then everything looks good. Don't forget you're gaining 5mm (0.197") to push the wheel/tire further out if you go with the spacer, but that probably won't affect much at all.

The rule of thumb is to avoid spacers when possible though, so if turning clearance is your only concern, I'd recommend going with the steering rack limiter instead of wheel spacers.

I have 245/45-17s that are on17x8s +38mm with 25mm bolt pattern adapters, and the scrub is somewhat noticeable at very low speeds in parking lots, but a non-issue on the roads. I did factor it in to choosing wheel size/offset, but I really do like the wide stance it gives.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
If you go with 8" wheels with a +30mm offset, you should be able to get full steering without contact without spacers if your rack is centered. I have 17X8 with +40mm and I just BARELY make contact with the control arms. From my calculations, anything less that 5.88"-6.00" backspacing should be ok and you are at 5.66". How you set up your camber outer helm joints plays a part of that as well. I actually use the contact on both sides to confirm I am centered with my toe adjustments. One thing to note is with aftermarket wheels and especially if you use any spacers is to make sure you have enough thread engagement on the lug nuts. I see in your shopping list the standard acorn nuts and that might not do it. See my discovery in from my build below.

http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/joebobs-build-log-ss-na-auto-extended-city-frame-270.2259/post-59726

I also bought the steering limiters but have not put them in yet and have been just very careful not to turn to full lock on steering in the meantime.

Joe

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
If you go with 8" wheels with a +30mm offset, you should be able to get full steering without contact without spacers if your rack is centered. I have 17X8 with +40mm and I just BARELY make contact with the control arms. From my calculations, anything less that 5.88"-6.00" backspacing should be ok and you are at 5.66".
Just FYI: 17x8 with +35 just barely touches as well. Enough that I'm considering a 5mm or 10mm spacer.

Goblinfanclub1234