Wheels and Tires for TC Goblin

dperkins

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I put in my order for a TC goblin frame for both street and track use, but most likely it will be a nearly 100% dedicated track car. I am in the painful process of trying to find wheels and tires for a track set and a on road set as well. So far I have found some track use rims I like, but the only problem is the center hub diameter is 73mm while on the car its 72.6, and I cant find any 4mm hub spacers. Would this be a problem if I didn't use any spacers and does anyone have any suggestions for good, large rims?

Johvans

I believe Matt (DrDemolition) who bought the 75% complete kit is running Konig wheels. I believe he's running 16's in the front 17's in the rear. I'm sure Lonny or Adam will chime in.

Silverback

...but the only problem is the center hub diameter is 73mm while on the car its 72.6, and I cant find any 4mm hub spacers....
Welcome!

If those diameters are right, there is only a 0.4mm difference. A larger concern is the 5x100 (or 4x100) bolt pattern won't work on the SS/tc driven hubs. Also, the 45mm positive offset for the rear wheels will be cutting it close on the strut to wheel and tire clearance on 9" wide wheels. Search for 'wheel size' or 'staggered' and you'll find a lot of discussion on this forum.

dperkins

Welcome!

If those diameters are right, there is only a 0.4mm difference. A larger concern is the 5x100 (or 4x100) bolt pattern won't work on the SS/tc driven hubs. Also, the 45mm positive offset for the rear wheels will be cutting it close on the strut to wheel and tire clearance on 9" wide wheels. Search for 'wheel size' or 'staggered' and you'll find a lot of discussion on this forum.
I accidentally read the 5x110 as 5x100 on tirerack :oops: Still, would a 5x114.3 be more common than 5x110? I also read on this thread that you need to use 17 inch fronts if you want to run the stock front brakes... If I run the brakes that come with the kit, I would be able to run 16s right?

Silverback

I really, really wanted to keep the Brembos, but was dissuaded by multiple posts on this forum. 5x114,3 is a very common Ford pattern and can be easily redrilled on the SS/tc front (soon to be rear) hubs and 10" discs. Enkei RPF1 (my choice) makes several 17" wheel widths in this size. Keep the positive offset to the lowest available and you should be in good shape. Several of us have gone with 4x100 15" front wheels to provide more wheel options and seriously cut down on unsprung weight.

dperkins

I believe Matt (DrDemolition) who bought the 75% complete kit is running Konig wheels. I believe he's running 16's in the front 17's in the rear. I'm sure Lonny or Adam will chime in.
I think I have found the wheels he has, 16x7.5 and 17x8 KONIG oversteer. I really like those and they fit so I might make them either the road or track rims... now I just have to find good tires that fit and more rims and tires for the other set.\

Edit: Looking at the Konigs, I found they dont do 5x110. I think ill just have to send them my hubs and rotors to have them redrill to 114.3

Last edited:

Tony

I think I have found the wheels he has, 16x7.5 and 17x8 KONIG oversteer.
If I ever get a second set, it will be this. I went back and forth between that and what I ended up with, which is 16x7.5 square Konig Runlite. Would have done a 17" rear, but it's only 7.5", so I didn't see any advantage to adding extra weight (and cost) for no extra width. The big draw for me was the color (gold) and the 35mm offset, which gives a little extra clearance to the strut. I wish either the Runlite or the Oversteer came in a 15" for the front, but for the cost and quality, it's hard to complain. If I ever feel like it absolutely needs 15" fronts, I can get the Konig Control and have the powder coated to match - they're similar enough.

Andy

I bought 15'sx7 all around for my SS\SC might need wider in the rear but we will see. I bought konig dial ins 's which come in 7, 8,and 9 widths. Going with 15 's was so much cheaper and a bunch of tires that fit. As well as being really light only 1 lb more than RPF1's and less than half cost. Overall dropped about 50 pounds from the stock tires and rims. Tire cost for 15 vs 17 is much better too.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Wheels and tires... could you all provide some more info? For those of you who actually put wheels and tires on... would the following work on the front? 16x7.5 5x114.3 +45 offset and for the back? 18x8 5x114.3 +35 offset I know I have to get the 5 lug hubs re-drilled. Thoughts?