Wheels, tires and brakes.

rallyracer

I was looking at brake and wheel size info on the Atom and comparing it to which route I'd may want to go with the DF kit. Upon searching I came across the Atom 2 owners manual. To me it actually has some good info in it.

After looking at the brake setup options in the manual, I think a beefier setup may be a better route to go on the SS cars.

Ariel Atom 2 - Owners manual (LSJ motor)
http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/ArielUserManual_20070925.pdf

Here's some of the info that caught my attention.

"Ariel Atoms are equipped with ultra high performance, wet/dry (not all-season) tires. Tire sizes are:
Front: 195/50R/15 or 205/50R15
Rear: 225/45R16 or 245/45R16"

Last edited:

rallyracer

Anyone find any 16x8 wheels that are decent quality for under 200 per wheel?
The RPF1 can be found for a little over $200 ea. in that size, but it'll depend of the offset and lug pattern too.

What blows about the tire sizes used is that you're vary limited in tire selection. Jumping to a 17" wheel and tire allows you more options. I'm just not sure how well a 17x8 or 17x9 would fit on this kit though. Then comes the issue of what size fronts to run. You want to be able to run the same compound in front and rear.

235/45/17 is tire size I was browsing. It's comes pretty close in circumference to the stock size run on the LSJ, which helps keep the gearing and speeds the same as what I'm used too.

Last edited:

smithvmi

Yup the Enkei is the only thing I can find close to 200. I am working with a base 5 speed so id like to keep the wheels as close to stock as possible.

rallyracer

Yup the Enkei is the only thing I can find close to 200. I am working with a base 5 speed so id like to keep the wheels as close to stock as possible.
Use this site to help you determine if the tire size you're thinking about is going to be close enough to the original cars circumference. Once you've found a size, plug it into www.tirerack.com and view the tires available in that size.

Tire Size Calculator
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Here's my stock LSJ tires (size 1) compared to the 17" 's (size 2) I was thinking about for the rears.

Last edited:

smithvmi

I think I'm gonna go 16s all around. Toyo R888s 205/55 front 245/45 rear on Konig runlite 16x7.5's. 45 mm offset concerns me though.

Edit: Has anyone thought about the fact that a car this light might have issues getting thick rear rubber up to temp?

Last edited:

rallyracer

I think I'm gonna go 16s all around. Toyo R888s 205/55 front 245/45 rear on Konig runlite 16x7.5's. 45 mm offset concerns me though.

Edit: Has anyone thought about the fact that a car this light might have issues getting thick rear rubber up to temp?
I did see some talk that recommended tires with a 200 treadwear or less for the best traction on these light car.

The R888 are 100 treadwear and considered a track or autox tire, but Atom guys were running them on the street.
A guy said they kick up a lot of rocks so be sure to have your fenders on. Oh, and that if you encounter rain, the grim reaper will be staring you down in your rear view mirror. LOL

Last edited:

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
I did see some talk that recommended tires with a 200 treadwear or less for the best traction on these light car.

The R888 are 100 treadwear and considered a track or autox tire, but Atom guys were running them on the street.
A guy said they kick up a lot of rocks so be sure to have your fenders on. Oh, and that if you encounter rain, the grim reaper will be staring you down in your rear view mirror. LOL
I really hope no one is driving their open cockpit goblin in the rain anyways lol