Whidbey Goblin, track chassis for the streets. 05 SS donor.

Whidbey Goblin

Got my car registered today. Yay! Took my son for a cruise. If I accelerate hard through first, second, about midway through third I lose power and it’s sputters. Sure seems like a fuel issue. If I just cruise normal for a minute I have a good power again. I used the donors fuel pump. Could it be a weak fuel pump? It has brand new plugs, brand new fuel filter, brand new injectors. Any ideas are appreciated.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Any codes? Does your boost gage work? Is boost showing somewhere around 7 psi? It could be in a limp mode if the boost solenoid if malfunctioning. Usually it will kill boost all the way around though.

Whidbey Goblin

Any codes? Does your boost gage work? Is boost showing somewhere around 7 psi? It could be in a limp mode if the boost solenoid if malfunctioning. Usually it will kill boost all the way around though.
I checked codes immediately when I get home. Just the normal “ fuel tank pressure sensor low-voltage“ which I believe is due to the removal of the evap system. Seemed to have good boost, peaks at about 14 psi around 6500 RPMs. I’m running a smaller pulley and 60 pound injectors. I only get positive boost if I put my foot in it. If I’m just cruising or not accelerating at all it’s under a vacuum. By seven psi do you mean that’s where yours peaks?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Sounds “normal”

ya. If a code sets, you can be at full throttle and only have 7 psi. Sounds like yours is boosting fine. Since you are pretty modified, I wonder if power is being backed off due to high intake temps? Other than that, we need to step back 10 yards and punt.

Whidbey Goblin

So I was thinking maybe I was just running out of fuel pressure during a hard pull. I got a fuel pressure test kit and had a buddy sit in the passenger seat and watch the gauge while I do a hard pull. I have 60 pounds of pressure and it’ll drop about 5 pounds during a pull. Does that seem normal?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
2017 Kawasaki Z650 (my wife’s bike) and a 2020 Honda Africa Twin 1100 (my only bike at the moment).
Nice. Got to test ride an Africa twin at cota Motogp a few years ago. It was the “auto” one. That was interesting to ride without shifting and such. That z650 is probably way too much fun to ride :cool: Very forgiving and will do whatever you want it too. My friend has the ninja 650 and it’s a blast to throw around. I race a ninja 300. :D